How to decide between different osteopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vlarti

Reaction score
I am applying to different osteopathic schools but not sure how to decide between them. I am a strong candidate and thus know that I'll have more than one osteopathic school to choose from, but how do I choose between them? Is there a way to compare between osteopathic medical schools? Are there any schools in particular that I should not apply to? Initially, I thought I shouldn't apply to MSUCOM but the Larry N. and Louis R. scandals are both done since neither of them are practicing in Michigan anymore. Initially, I also thought to avoid the newer osteopathic schools (schools that are less than 10 years old), but some of the newer ones are still good schools.

Members don't see this ad.

You can compare their COMLEX pass rates compared to the national averages. You can also compare their residency placements eg how many remain unmatched each year, which states do their students end up in, what tier of programs they match at, if they end up in very DO-friendly programs or if they also match to programs that generally prefer MDs.

I know @Goro has a list of bad boy schools that he advises against, he probably has a good boy list of schools he highly recommends too. I know TUCOM is on the good boy list and Rocky Vista is on the bad boy list, but I don't remember the rest off the top of my head.

Also, you can post in the "Help me decide" subforum once you have acceptances to decide between.

I am applying to different osteopathic schools but not sure how to decide between them. I am a strong candidate and thus know that I'll have more than one osteopathic school to choose from, but how do I choose between them? Is there a way to compare between osteopathic medical schools? Are there any schools in particular that I should not apply to? Initially, I thought I shouldn't apply to MSUCOM but the Larry N. and Louis R. scandals are both done since neither of them are practicing in Michigan anymore. Initially, I also thought to avoid the newer osteopathic schools (schools that are less than 10 years old), but some of the newer ones are still good schools.
In no order, I have a high opinion of

ACOM
Wcu
Cusom
TOURO.NY
NYITCOM. NY
KCOM
MUCOM
CCOM but watch tuition!!!
AZCOM
PAC.NW
KYCOM
WVSOM
TOURO.CA
DMU
LECOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
PCOM
BOTH WESTERNS

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

ACOM
Wcu
Cusom
TOURO.NY
NYITCOM. NY
KCOM
MUCOM
AZCOM
PAC.NW
KYCOM
WVSOM
TOURO.CA
DMU
LECOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
PCOM
BOTH WESTERNS

How about KCUCOM?

ACOM
Wcu
Cusom
TOURO.NY
NYITCOM. NY
KCOM
MUCOM
AZCOM
PAC.NW
KYCOM
WVSOM
TOURO.CA
DMU
LECOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
PCOM
BOTH WESTERNS
what is your opinion on ICOM and ARCOM

what is your opinion on ICOM and ARCOM
Cannot recommend either.

ICOM: Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching. And they have the nerve to give you only 48 hours to decide upon submitting a $1500 deposit! Plus, being a for-profit school always makes one wonder who priority is greater...the students, or the investors?

ARCOM: Required mandatory lecture attendance during the COVID pandemic! Lecturers were outside speakers and could have taught via Zoom.
(see also: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...sonally-pay-preceptors.1433331/#post-22479749, esp. post #27)

ACOM
Wcu
Cusom
TOURO.NY
NYITCOM. NY
KCOM
MUCOM
AZCOM
PAC.NW
KYCOM
WVSOM
TOURO.CA
DMU
LECOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
PCOM
BOTH WESTERNS
Goro, I know from previous posts when asked about your opinion on DO schools, you always seem to leave Rowan SOM off of your list??

State schools > old established schools > most of everyone else > the brand new or super rural schools (like KYCOM)

Reactions: 1 user

ACOM
Wcu
Cusom
TOURO.NY
NYITCOM. NY
KCOM
MUCOM
AZCOM
PAC.NW
KYCOM
WVSOM
TOURO.CA
DMU
LECOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
PCOM
BOTH WESTERNS
Any opinion on Rowan?

Any opinion on Rowan?
(I am an applicant, so take my advice with a grain of salt) RowanSOM is New Jersey's state school with in-house residencies in a number of specialties including urology.

Being a state school, it gets a decent chunk of funding from the state of New Jersey which is definitely a plus. Been around since the 1970's I believe allowing the program to really establish itself.

If presented with the opportunity, I would definitely attend :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have given interviews at three DO schools and gotten acceptance in one while I wait for the other two to give me their responses. RVCOM Colorado, LECOM Setton Hill, WVSOM. I have gotten A from WVSOM. If I get A from the other two, what should I think about to select between the three. @Goro and @Faha

I have given interviews at three DO schools and gotten acceptance in one while I wait for the other two to give me their responses. RVCOM Colorado, LECOM Setton Hill, WVSOM. I have gotten A from WVSOM. If I get A from the other two, what should I think about to select between the three. @Goro and @Faha
Goro has said before that he can't recommend RVCOM, if you look on the forums, I'm sure you can find his previous comments about them.

Hey guys,
Florida resident here with acceptances to RowanSom, ACOM, Burrell, and KYCOM.
I'd prefer to do my residency in the South, but at the same time I don't want location to determine which school I should go into.
I haven't visited any of these schools, so It's difficult to choose. I wonder if some of you that have more experience with these schools could help me?
Thank you in advance!
:)

Hey guys,
Florida resident here with acceptances to RowanSom, ACOM, Burrell, and KYCOM.
I'd prefer to do my residency in the South, but at the same time I don't want location to determine which school I should go into.
I haven't visited any of these schools, so It's difficult to choose. I wonder if some of you that have more experience with these schools could help me?
Thank you in advance!
:)
Look into residency placements and passing rates

Also look on each school’s website for where they do 3rd year core rotations and have 4th year rotation agreements. DO schools often have rotation sites far (like 1500 miles far) away from their school which may or may not benefit you for residency options.

Reactions: 1 users
Also look on each school’s website for where they do 3rd year core rotations and have 4th year rotation agreements. DO schools often have rotation sites far (like 1500 miles far) away from their school which may or may not benefit you for residency options.
Thank you! Your advice was helpful.

ACOM
Wcu
Cusom
TOURO.NY
NYITCOM. NY
KCOM
MUCOM
AZCOM
PAC.NW
KYCOM
WVSOM
TOURO.CA
DMU
LECOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
PCOM
BOTH WESTERNS
Any specific reasons why OU-HCOM and OSU-COM didn’t make the list?

Anyone know much about ATSU-SOMA? I have an A, but still waiting to hear back from KCUCOM and DMU….

Anyone know much about ATSU-SOMA? I have an A, but still waiting to hear back from KCUCOM and DMU….
ATSU-SOMA is a decent school and would probably be considered an average / middle-tier DO school if there is even such a thing as tiers for DO schools. They're very heavy on primary care like many other DO schools are. The main issue with SOMA is the 1+3 curriculum. So you're only in AZ for the first year and then move away to another state to do Years 2-4 at your CHC. Some CHC sites (eg Brooklyn, CA sites, etc) are much more established and/or desirable than others and your educational and overall experience will likely vary as a result. Unfortunately, all the desirable sites were probably filled early in the application process. Keep in mind, ATSU-SOMA is also adopting a 100% PBL curriculum beginning with the Class of 2026 (ie their new PBL curriculum begins this summer for incoming 1st year students) which could be a straight deal breaker for many students-- the idea of having no lectures / having to direct your own studies might come as a shock to students who are not used to not having lectures. Personally, I would recommend KCUCOM over ATSU-SOMA if you get into both; I don't know much about DMU.

Last edited: