How to decide on a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veronica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on how to pick which school to attend. I am going crazy trying to figure out which school is best for me! AH! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey veronica, welcome to SDN! :D There are a few questions you have to ask yourself when deciding which schools to apply to. Every school will have positives and negatives and you have to determine what is most important to you.

Where do you want to live (if you have the luxory of deciding)? Do you need to be close to your family or in familiar surroundings? Do you like hot or cold weather, etc.

How much do you want to pay? Most schools have different tuition rates for in-state and out-of-state residents. If you are fortunate to have a DO school in your state than you will save a ton of money by going there.

How does the school and student body fit in with your views, goals, philosophy? Are the schools student-oriented(do they have programs to help students with the transition of med school)? These are harder to answer but you may go to the schools websites and request more info. If there are schools that you are particularly interested in, you might schedule a visit(if it is nearby) or you can probably ask some of the students that go to those schools on this forum.

Have I left anything out? I hope not. :)

Homer J, got it right on the money!!!