How to decide on the program before the fin aid package arrives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryoryo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received acceptance letters from 3 of my top choice schools.
I already sent in a deposit to one of them (1st choice) but now I'm getting worried about a possible situation where the financial aid package will not be enough to cover my needs.

Would the financial aid office of each school be able to give me an idea of what to expect?
For those of you in similar situations, do you have any tips/pointers on how to decide?

And would you be able to put down a deposit and withdraw later on? I'm not sure if I want to send a deposit to another school at this point as I am mostly set on attending my top choice but I wanted to know if I had options. I understand this may be viewed as unethical to some people, as it would reduce the chances of other students on the waitlist.......I would much rather not do this and save my money as well......

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on the deposit deadlines of the programs. Some programs only give you a few weeks to accept your spot and some give you a few months. I would say keep your deposit in at the school you intend to go to and only withdraw if the financial aid package isn't sufficient, then send your deposit to whichever school you decide on. This is assuming you get all of the financial aid packages before the deadlines (I hope so!). Most schools will give you your deposit back in full as long as you withdraw before a certain date. Good luck with your decision :)

VioletOT - thank you for your reply.

All the schools have only given me 3 weeks to reply, and I doubt I will be able to see the financial aid package within the deposit deadline. I will just have to contact them and see what their rules are as far as withdrawal goes.

Thanks again!