How to decide which interviews to attend...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^^lol

Members don't see this ad.

Come on guys we're all Quantitative Reasoning experts now, right?

Last year...
UNC accepted 13 of the 82 OOS students they interviewed... acceptance probability: 0.16
Detroit Mercy accepted 32 of the 437 OOS students they interviewed... 0.07
Penn accepted 101 of the 325 total US students they interviewed... 0.31

By my calculations (meaning I used my handy dandy Google) a given student in your situation currently has a 46% of acceptance into at least one of those schools this cycle. How do you like those odds, OP?

Two words: baked goods

Come on guys we're all Quantitative Reasoning experts now, right?

Last year...
UNC accepted 13 of the 82 OOS students they interviewed... acceptance probability: 0.16
Detroit Mercy accepted 32 of the 437 OOS students they interviewed... 0.07
Penn accepted 101 of the 325 total US students they interviewed... 0.31

By my calculations (meaning I used my handy dandy Google) a given student in your situation currently has a 46% of acceptance into at least one of those schools this cycle. How do you like those odds, OP?

Two words: baked goods

Your stats have a fundamental error (except for UNC's numbers which are accurate). Detroit Mercy only interviews approximately 60 OOS candidates and accepts roughly half of them. Penn enrolled 101 of 325, but their acceptance number (and the acceptance numbers of almost all schools) is higher than the enrolled number, which only includes the people that take the spot offered.

Some schools (like Penn) don't report their acceptance numbers (only enrolled), so it makes their true acceptance rate difficult to assess.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats have a fundamental error (except for UNC's numbers which are accurate). Detroit Mercy only interviews approximately 60 OOS candidates and accepts roughly half of them. Penn enrolled 101 of 325, but their acceptance number (and the acceptance numbers of almost all schools) is higher than the enrolled number, which only includes the people that take the spot offered.

Some schools (like Penn) don't report their acceptance numbers (only enrolled), so it makes their true acceptance rate difficult to assess.
I see. Strange that ADEA is so far off on the occasional stat.

In light of this information, my gut elevates OP's chances to 50% +/- 40%

Although I agree with the general thread sentiments, probability doesn't quite work like that if we are considering being admitted into "at least 1 school" -- which would consist of being admitted to A, B, C, A&B, A&C, B&C, or A&B&C.

Let's suppose that acceptance after an interview is based on chance alone (ie. picking your name out of a hat of those interviewing). Let's also assume that the acceptance rates at 3 random schools were 10%, 30% and 50%. The easiest way to calculate being accepted to at least one school would be to calculate the probability of not being accepted to ANY school and subtracting that from 1.

For ex. (Not accepted to A) x (Not accepted to B) x (Not accepted to C) = Probability of non being accepted anywhere
(9/10) x (2/3) x (1/2) = 3/10 = ~30%
Therefore, your chances of being admitted at least somewhere would be 1 - (3/10) = 7/10 = ~70%

FYI DENTAL SCHOOL DOESN'T WORK LIKE DIS THOUGH! Don't waste your time calculating your chances :)

Haha thanks for the input on the probabilities. In light of recent events and SDN I will be attending (hopefully all 8) interviews. The fact that I got a large scholarship from my school will help pay for these interviews lol(just as soon as refunds drop). Thanks everybody.

P.S 4th Interview Maryland:happy:

Schedule some of the interviews for your "second choice" schools LATER in the cycle. Schedule the ones at the schools that you are most interested in for EARLIER in the cycle.

Sometimes, you leave an interview with a pretty strong gut feeling as to whether or not you are going to be accepted. If you get that feeling from one or two of your favorites, then maybe don't go to some of the others.

I did that last year. I had a fantastic interview at Case Western, knew that I would be VERY happy at the school, and decided not to attend my interview at UoP. I also felt like I had a decent shot at my state schools. Sure--UoP is a fantastic school--but I knew that I really did NOT want to go to California. I applied there to cast a "wider net," but it wasn't exactly where my heart wanted to be.

It's not crazy. And this is from someone who applied to only 5 schools to begin with. You will know what is best for you. You sound highly competent, and I don't doubt your choices!

Not everyone HAS to apply to 10+ schools (like SDN logic seems to often suggest), and not everyone HAS to attend every interview they've been granted.

Reactions: 1 users
I come in short academically, but I will still become a dentist.

Oh sweetie... you do know that even if you do somehow manage to find yourself with a dental school acceptance, you still have to pass your classes, right? You don't even want to know how many people last school year had to repeat or just plain out flunked out. ;)

Therefore, your chances of being admitted at least somewhere would be 1 - (3/10) = 7/10 = ~70%

FYI DENTAL SCHOOL DOESN'T WORK LIKE DIS THOUGH! Don't waste your time calculating your chances :)

Hmm, yes. Squarely within my 10% - 90% range. I knew it.