How to decline an acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gannicus89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is an email to the office of admissions sufficient? Or does it need to be addressed to the dean of admissions? Or should I email whoever emailed me the acceptance? I can't find an option to withdraw on their secondary websites. I also want to be as polite about it as possible. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent an email to the admissions office. Just be polite. Some schools (like Stanford, iirc) request a written letter as to why you didn't want to go. They take it very seriously.

I gave all of my acceptances I didn't want a silent rejection.
image.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I gave all of my acceptances I didn't want a silent rejection.
image.jpg

I read this as "I gave all of my acceptances (to who?). I didn't want a silent rejection (well of course not!)."

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-28_13-5-59.png
    upload_2016-2-28_13-5-59.png
    703.1 KB · Views: 87
  • upload_2016-2-28_13-6-6.png
    upload_2016-2-28_13-6-6.png
    703.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Slightly off topic question, but does accepting a scholarship at a school mean you can't turn down that acceptance later? Or is it just a normal part of the process up until April 30?

Just send an email saying you are greatly thankful to have received an acceptance but you have decided to go elsewhere.

You don't have to tell why (even if they ask, you can just leave it blank).

It's similar to rejecting a job offer. You theoretically could list the exact reasons why but it puts you at risk for adverse consequences (e.g., coming across rudely, coming across as arrogant, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Sending a withdraw letter is like letting your old barber know you found a new one.

This happened to me once.. saw my old one and he interrogated me in an awkward random encounter (so Seinfeld-esque).

I got the old "You're seeing someone else... aren't ya?"

Reactions: 4 users
Sending a withdraw letter is like letting your old barber know you found a new one.

This happened to me once.. saw my old one and he interrogated me in an awkward random encounter (so Seinfeld-esque).

I got the old "You're seeing someone else... aren't ya?"

Like this?

Reactions: 1 users
I had a withdrawal button for declining VCU, then a survey. I did use the survey to give them honest feedback. Pay it forward to future applicants by giving a tactful, but honest appraisal of where their school fell short (they certainly don't have any qualms about rejecting candidates who fell short).

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the advice everyone! Three seats just opened up along the east coast lol.

I sent emails to the admissions office, sometimes those emails never get seen but I figure that's their problem.

Reactions: 1 user