1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How to detect a anesthesiology resident

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by ThinkFast007, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ThinkFast007

ThinkFast007 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It's kind of been fun these last few weeks as I ventured out into the realm of prelim interviews. It appears that most of us going into anesthesiology tend to 'bond' easier at these interviews. Additionally, it's also funny how at the interviews you can always tell who the candidate that's going into anesthesia is. Here are my observations.

1) during the tour of the facilities, these guys/gals are the ones that are at the back.
    2) most common question asked to the tour guide/resident at the program is "so how many calls do we have to take".
    3) in teh back of their mind, theyre thinking, "the programs w/ the least amount of calls will likely be ranked higher on my ROL".
    4)at morning report for the prelim your major concern is the patients vital signs..in particular the O2 sat. you think in your head, hmmm that o2 sat is at 95%....might be time to intubate :laugh:

care to add others? LOL...if they good, we should friggin sell shirts

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jetproppilot

jetproppilot Turboprop Driver
    10+ Year Member

Kinda corny, Think, but I'm gonna bite, cuz I know what youre gettin at.

Med students going into anesthesia.....

1)are smart (geez, they got into med school)
    2) realize anesthesia will provide them with adequate cerebral stimulation
    3) like patient care, but not to the point where it dominates their lives
    4) like flexibility....right now you can PICK what you want...
    5)grueling, high dollar practice?
    6) Kinda laid back, pretty-good-cash practice?
    7) Cake walk, pretty good cash surgery center?
    8) Solo-practice-philanthropist practice
    9)Locum tenens I make my own schedule practice
    10)University setting pretty-good-cash-but-I-have-to-do-liver-transplants practice

Like I've said many times before, young grasshoppas, 5 years after you graduate from med school your thought processes/priorities will be totally different.

Five years from now, you will no longer require a catecholamine-releasing-stress-inducing case to make you happy.

Five years from now, other facets of your life (relationships, kids, hobbies) will be just important to you, if not more, than fighting hypotension in an emergency AAA.

Five years from now you will receive gratification from your job, you'll love taking care of patients, you'll love the orthopedic surgeon telling you how satisfied his ACL patient was as a result of your fem/sciatic blocks, you'll love making the parturient forget about her pain (as lon as its B4 midnight), you'll, essentially,

LOVE ANESTHESIA.

As I do.

I enjoy going to work.

How many people in this country can say that?

That, in itself, is saying alot. I've been doing this gig since 1996.

And I still enjoy it.

That says alot.

4. lvspro

lvspro ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    5. The buff dood.
    6. The one with the newest tech toy attached to their hip.
    7. The ones that have a personality.
    8. The one tryin to finagle their way into the hot interviewees panties.
    9. The one asking where the best clubs in town are.

5. ThinkFast007

5+ Year Member

da$n you JPP, you always have to be putting ppl down! :laugh: :laugh:

just messing w/ ya of course. I was just thinking of posting this because I've found while I'm on the interview trail that Anesthesia attracts a crowd that is a lot more 'laid back'. I think they comprise less of the 'gunner' scene...although i think this might be changing.

I was just pointing pointing out that at these prelim interviews, WE anesthesia hopefuls stick out like a sore thumb...atleast that's been my experience. Any others out there that can attest to this?

6. ThinkFast007

5+ Year Member

10. The ones who actually have a shot at that HOT ICU nurse
    11. The one that needs an emergency IM shot of Kytril and Dexameth at the thought of working in a 'outpt' clinic and having to do H&Ps

LOL...yo lvs I thought you were on a leash too. Guess we can stil look.

7. jetproppilot

10+ Year Member

Think,

This thought process is absolutely juvenile.

And immature.

And irresponsible.

SO I'LL CONTINUE.

12) The only residents who have a shot at the Hustler-Magazine-Preppie-L&D Nurses....(uhhhh....I married one)

13) The only residents with a tan, 7% body fat, and a shot at boinking other-specialty attendings.....(ok...I plead the fifth at this point)

14) Fellows of a very small group that can look at their specialty's future with optimism

15) Fellows of a very small group of MDs who can come-upon a car wreck and actually have something to contribute....

UHHHHHH, MR. PARAMEDIC DUDE, I RESPECT YOUR SKILLS, BUT, UHHHH, I CAN SEE YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS TRAUMATIC AIRWAY, AND, UHHHH, I CAN INTUBATE A PREGNANT QUEEN ANT.

16) AND LAST, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY,

THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN MEDICINE.

You can contribute to mankind with an MD degree without sacrificing your personal life.

Welcome to anesthesia.

8. bullard

bullard Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This was kind of what I was expecting when I went out on the interview trail, and it's been true to a certain degree, but at a couple of anesthesia interviews, I thought the other folks were pretty...uptight. Hopefully I'll match with y'all instead. :laugh:

9. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :thumbup:

dc

10. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The anesthesia candidate these days probably wears his scrubs hanging down below his ass, gangsta style.
    Unless he is a chick in which case she is probably showing some midrift.

11. lvspro

lvspro ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yup. I like to keep myself sharp JIC. I love my woman, but you never know :cool:

12. lvspro

lvspro ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Awesome.

13. chicamedica

chicamedica 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Always is a very strong word, there, Thinkfast. :cool:

Actually none of the anesthesia applicants i've run into at prelim interviews have met any of those (at least not the first 2. I can't speak for what they're thinking, but speakng for myself #3 is not the case). durng the tour, no-one in particular is at the back, it keeps changing depending on where we go. Are you trying to say that anesthesia ppl only want the easy life? Is that why you're gong into this field?

14. DrDre'

DrDre' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think I have met any of you guys. The majority of people I have met on the trail have been very nice, but very straight-laced- with hardly a sense of humor.

It has actually been distressing- worrying about who will be my future partners!

15. chicamedica

chicamedica 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I think it's kinda hard to judge people from a few hours when they are concentrating on their interviews, but most applcants i've met have been really sweet people. Different personalities, of course, but nice in their own way.

16. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    NOT my experience at all. I usually can't tell any difference between anesthesia, derm, rads and ophtho people. PM&R people seem a little more relaxed and laid back of the group. And all the categorical med people I've met for prelim med interviews have been really nice and friendly, occasionally more so than the other prelim applicants. I don't think it means anything one way or the other, but that's just been my experience so far.

17. fishtolive

fishtolive Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

funny thread...i totally agree with the OP.

every prelim/ty interview i've been on consisted of me and the other anesthesia hopeful(s) rolling our eyes when the words "continuity clinic" came up. half a day each week in clinic sounds one half a day too long for me and Q3 general med floors is not my idea of fun (and no it's not cuz i want a great lifestyle as an intern--god, how does that always come up on this board?! you want that schedule, YOU take it so i can have a happy, fulfilled life while waiting for CA1 year and makin babies).

even at my anesthesia interviews the day has been awesome mostly because i can chat it up with the applicants and the rest of the day goes great with everybody in a good mood (and this has happened at monster places where i expected the exact opposite to occur). of course outliers exist and they stand out. and of course i must have lucked out on certain days but by in large this is what i have exprienced on the trail.

18. chicamedica

chicamedica 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I dont think q3 call is ANYONE's idea of fun. . . i dont think that's limited to anesthesia applicants. And yeah, you're right about anesthesia applicants being on the whole, a personable, down to earth group. However, this should not be equated with wanting to be lax about working hard. I know tons of anesthesia residents and fellow applicants who appreciate the value of hard work and are very motivated people. It's not cool to stereotype the field this way is all i'm saying. Sure some people may be in it for the lifestyle, but many actually like the challenge of it (yes, imo it's a challenging field. I hope you're not to shocked by this)

19. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i think i am pretty good at spotting the rad-onc folks. they're the ones who look smug yet scared. "i am the best, and oh crap there are only 135 spots..." :laugh:

seriously though... TY year interviews are such a nice break. two interviews, no ethics scenarios, etc.

20. Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo Member
    10+ Year Member

Amen

21. ThinkFast007

5+ Year Member

Yikes chica....slow down there. Dont put words in my mouth. I agree Anesthesia is not an 'easy life'. Although, traditional it is considered a 'lifestyle' specialty.

But...the point is most ppl going into anesthesiology these days are individuals that are more personable, friendly, and 'cool' :laugh: These are the individuals that went through med school that studied hard, but partied hard as well. When it comes to Anesthesia, I agree you have to be on TOP of your game. You have to make quick, correct decisions that maybe life altering. While we are ready for this challenge, we are also ready to have a life OUTSIDE.

Do I think there's anything wrong w/ that. Absolutely not. As long as pt care is done properly w/ both respect and care...your life outside of medicine is YOUR life. And for most of us nowadays going into anesthesia, we balance having fun and at the same time being serious when need be. I see your point, you dont want others thinking we are just a bunch of slackers. But heck, these days ppl going into Anesthesiology are in the TOP of their classes in med school...that should say enough as to whether we were slackers.

The point of my thread is this. Most of us really dont care about 'rounding' and 'clinic'. Of course we want to get to learn the basic concepts underlying medicine as well as absorb as much as possible from our months in the ICU etc. However, I feel most of us are friggin wired to get to that CA1 yr that all that 'medicine' talk at the interviews just get us a little ancy.

Hey but i respect your view, it's yours. This is mine. BTW, how's things been? :thumbup:

22. aredoubleyou

aredoubleyou Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea, Dre, gotta agree with you on the straight laced. I havent seen too many GQ smooth personable double O sevens out there that look like they have a way with the ladies - but I did see a whole lot of hot nurses when I interviewed at Vandy - (didnt mention that to the program director as a reason I was interested though).

23. Airzonk

Airzonk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    UHHHHHH, MR. PARAMEDIC DUDE, I RESPECT YOUR SKILLS, BUT, UHHHH, I CAN SEE YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS TRAUMATIC AIRWAY, AND, UHHHH, I CAN INTUBATE A PREGNANT QUEEN ANT.

As a 13 year paramedic, i'm still laughing, your so right...

24. ThinkFast007

5+ Year Member

17) These are the guys that are likely to be 'Wallstreet Docs'

25. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'd like to market my t-shirt:

"Anesthesiologists do it while you're asleep."

26. chicamedica

chicamedica 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I heard this t-shirt was made by Yale anesthesia residents

"Yale Anesthesiology--Sleep with the Best"

:laugh:

27. ThinkFast007

5+ Year Member

we should totally have a shirt made w/ a saying on the front. THen on the back it can have "top 10 ways to spot an anesthesiologist". or something along that lines.

who's up ?

28. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Since you guys brought up sleeping with anesthesiologists, I thought I'd share a bad joke:

Two docs meet up at a convention. They hit it off. Before they go to bed, the woman washes her hands. After sex, the guy says to her, "I bet you are a surgeon- you wash your hands all the time."

She says to him, "You're right. And, you must be an anesthesiologist- I didn't feel a thing."
    :rolleyes:

29. jetproppilot

10+ Year Member

Thats because he put lorazepam in her martini.

30. Gimlet

Gimlet Cardiac Anesthesiologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I hear that joke all the time when people find out I'm interested in anesthesiology. I'm totally gonna have to use that line.

31. Beck928

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is it me, or are some of the anesthesia applicants not as cool as many of the anesthesia residents I've worked with? I'm worried that as the competition goes up, the number of laid-back anesthesia residents will decrease, which seriously worries me. There are a few people out there who were pretty uptight/overconfident of themselves. I have been a bit surprised. What do you guys think?

32. bullard

bullard Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree.

33. DrDre'

DrDre' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with Bullard and Beck. I am very disappointed. Almost as geeky as neuro residents!

34. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's probably safe to assume people aren't as laid-back at an interview as they might be in real life. I guess I'd worry less about what impression your peers are making on you than on the one you're making on those deciding where to rank you. Hope that doesn't sound bitchy.

35. DrDre'

DrDre' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with you. I try to remember that people are "faking it" so they don't show off their weird personality. But, when we are alone, and no one is watching- there is still is a paucity of personality...

36. cubs3canes

cubs3canes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Another thing I notices is that anesthesia residents actually turn down bad coffee. I see medicine residents drink any coffee that they can get their hands on, but an anesthesia resident will change scrubs, walk three blocks, change back just to actually enjoy their coffee.

I love it.

37. mountaindew2006

mountaindew2006 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

some of like the finer things in life.

38. toughlife

toughlife Resident
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

If anything, they will be useful to scare the aggressive CRNAs. :laugh:

39. chicamedica

chicamedica 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

What's wrong with geeky?? :(

NERD PRIDE!! :thumbup: :D

40. lilycat

Attending Physician
    I'm with you. Geekiness is fine, but there were some that either seemed uber-competitive in a bad way (one step away from asking for board scores), or seemed pretty arrogant (very disdainful of other applicants, programs, schools, etc.). Luckily they have been in the minority, and not the majority, of applicants I've met.

41. supahfresh

supahfresh un paradis du gangster
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i agree that we love our coffee. i just brought some back from ecuador while i was there last month. but how could we possibly have time to go out of the hospital to get anything? i'm too busy during the day (cases, etc.)

42. beezar

beezar Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Funny you should mention this, because I was just talking about this same thing to other residents in my program who agreed... on the interview dinners, it's so far been a struggle to find interviewees with any sort of personality this year whereas last year was completely different. Most just seem socially incompetent; kinda disappointing.

43. Sugar72

Sugar72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hope i wasn't at any of your dinners!

44. Beck928

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, so it's not just me. One reason that I thought anesthesia was so cool was that there were people I could see myself hangin with on a day-to-day basis. And for the record, you can still be a nerd but be laid-back and sociable! Being nerdy is not bad, but being a gunner and trying to size up the other applicants during the interview or being socially inappropriate is where I have issues.

For example, I ran into an applicant who asked me if such-and-such program had told me where they were going to rank me, and I said no. He then responded with "oooooohh". What's that all about? He was a guy that was being irritating and cocky all day, and I bascially asked back "are you trying to compete with me?" which silenced him. While this is pretty much an exception, the fact that these people are being sought out by good programs means that no one seems to be taking into account their lack of people skills.

45. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nerds rule! *snort*

We won't really know that until the Match. Here's hoping...

46. chicamedica

chicamedica 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree that such attitude is not very cool, however I usually think of nerds or geeks just being studious and interested in talking science. The experience you had seem to be pure gunnerism, which is definitely a worrisome sign (and/or speaks to that applicant's insecurity). I dont even think it was an accidental "faux pas" secondary to lack of people skills. That was an intentional question to scope out his competition. Such people usually have GOOD people skills when they think they need to. :eek:

47. ThinkFast007

5+ Year Member

:cool: i must agree w/ the above.

Althought for the MOST part i've noticed the applicants are more 'laid back' ,etc. There is a growing # of a 'different type' of ansthestiologists who are perhaps a little socially challenged. It's unfortunate, but I guess that's what happens when things become more competitive. :cool:

in terms of 'nerdiness"...I think we all have a little NERD in us. I think if we didnt we wouldnt be at the places we were right now! But, I think some of us are certainly more 'socially' inclined.

18) Anesthesiologists are ones who are most likely to be chosen to play a part on General Hosp or one of the Soaps.

48. nims

nims Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Not quite for sure if this applies, but i'll give it a shot.

I was shadowing an anesthesiologist the other day at my local hospital. While in the OR he was showing me a chart and pointed out that the woman had a drink once a day. He then said, "right on." Later on during the surgery, one of his partners called him informing him they could leave earlier the next day. He got excited, and said they could start drinking earlier for the concert they were going to that night. This doc was pretty amazing, hah.

49. lvspro

lvspro ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yo
    Just got done w/penn state, and Dr B. Mets is the gold standard of laid-back anesthesiologists. Nice to see some good role models.

50. Monty Python

Monty Python Icelandic (see avatar) doesn't translate well.
    10+ Year Member

Yankeeh8r is obviously a Red Sox fan.

One of my sisters lives in Seattle. Next time you're there, for a special occasion dinner try Anthony's Pier 66, or in West Seattle try Salty's. You won't be disappointed.

PS. I hope you're not susceptible to Seasonal Affective Disorder. You know it rains all the time up there. My sister is a licensed counselor, and her husband is a Lutheran minister. They do a lot of counseling and referrals due to the weather.

51. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus

Attending Physician
    ANESTHESIOLOGY! Nuff said!