How to discuss relief work with current employer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllieLane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I recently started at a new full time job, and now would like to also pick up some relief work. Since this is the first time I actually have time to do so, I am not sure how I should discuss it with my boss, although I know nowadays it is very common for people to do so. All the relief jobs I am considering are outside of my non-compete radius so that's not a problem. I feel it could be weird if I just go tell my boss that I plan to work at this and that place part time? If I do not officially inform my boss, and if people later find out, would that look bad? At my current clinic we have more relief doctors than full time doctors (like most places), but they are also much more experienced than I am. I do not know if other full time doctors here also do relief elsewhere, or they may do but they just don't talk about it. Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I don’t think most places have more relief doctors than full time doctors… that sounds kind of dysfunctional.

Also, what’s your motivation for doing relief work? Is it to branch out and experience new things? Is it to make extra cash but get a breather from the grind of your usual job? Or is it money that is most important?

cause if it’s that you want more dough, why not take an additional shift at your job and charge your boss a relief rate? Having you, the full time person, take on an additional relief shift is likely going to make the clinic more money than rando relief vet unless you are a poor producer. If your clinic is hurting that much for an associate, it’s in their interest to keep you happy, AND to have you do more rather than hire relief.

Unless your contract states that you cannot practice vet med elsewhere, or only stipulates a noncompete distance and nothing else, it’s honestly not your boss’s business what you do outside of work. I did like one day every other week type relief jobs all the time as an associate, and it wasn’t something I hid, and I openly talked about it. But it wasn’t something I went to my boss and asked for their blessings about.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all, I don’t think most places have more relief doctors than full time doctors… that sounds kind of dysfunctional.

Also, what’s your motivation for doing relief work? Is it to branch out and experience new things? Is it to make extra cash but get a breather from the grind of your usual job? Or is it money that is most important?

cause if it’s that you want more dough, why not take an additional shift at your job and charge your boss a relief rate? Having you, the full time person, take on an additional relief shift is likely going to make the clinic more money than rando relief vet unless you are a poor producer. If your clinic is hurting that much for an associate, it’s in their interest to keep you happy, AND to have you do more rather than hire relief.

Unless your contract states that you cannot practice vet med elsewhere, or only stipulates a noncompete distance and nothing else, it’s honestly not your boss’s business what you do outside of work. I did like one day every other week type relief jobs all the time as an associate, and it wasn’t something I hid, and I openly talked about it. But it wasn’t something I went to my boss and asked for their blessings about.
Thank you very much! I am doing relief so I can be exposed to different things. So far I am happy with my full time job and it pays well. I am also working with a great team. My only issue is that it's an expensive, state-of-the-art clinic. Our prices often turn people away or even worse push owners to euthanasia. Which can sometimes make me very sad/mad. So I plan to relief at shelters and such.

If I do feel I have that much time that I want to put into work, I would happily pick up more shifts at my clinic as well. They pay better than most other places I could find.

I appreciate your response, super helpful!