How to enter study abroad coursework into 2021 AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dholida

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new on here and I tried to sift through previous posts on study abroad coursework but couldn't find anything to help me. I've also tried to call AMCAS over the past 3 days at different times, but the call gets automatically disconnected because I guess they just aren't taking calls. I've also tried to carefully read the 2021 Applicant Guide, under the "Conversion to Semester Hours Not Provided, Credit Transferred" section, but I'm still confused. Anyways, here's my dilemma:

I studied abroad in Scotland in Spring 2018, sponsored by a U.S. institution. The credits and grades were transferred as equivalents to the courses I would have taken at my home institution. They were O-Chem II + Lab, Physics II + Lab, and Calculus II. However, my undergrad institution does not list that coursework on my official transcript. It literally just says "Study Abroad" under Spring 2018. However, the grades and credits were transferred and calculated into my undegrad cumulative GPA. Now, I have ordered an official transcript from abroad, which was delivered to AMCAS this morning but still needs to be uploaded into my application. But on the abroad transcript, it lists the Scottish clock hours and grades, followed by a "Suggested American Equivalent" of the Scottish grades. It does NOT provide a suggested transfer equivalent for the clock hours. But I do know for a fact that my 30 clock hour course was transferred as an 8 credit class, and my 15 clock hour course was transferred as a 4 credit class - it just doesn't say this anywhere on the transcript.

Given this:
- How to enter this coursework into AMCAS? Under which school?
- Do I mark "Yes" to the question "Does AMCAS require a transcript from [study abroad] institution?
- Is there a letter or supporting documentation that my university can provide to show how the credits were transferred over? I'm really worried that AMCAS won't include this in my GPA because of the lack of U.S. credit hours on either of my transcripts, and process it as P/F, which med schools might not accept especially because two of the courses are prerequisites.
- Do I even need to be this stressed out? Does AMCAS automatically convert study abroad grades into U.S. credit hours? It seems like they really just do their own thing when reassigning and converting credit hours. I know there's plenty of sources out there that convert Scottish grades into American grades - but my school doesn't provide that with the transcript and I don't know if AMCAS just automatically knows how to calculate the credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: