How to explain a low GPA semester when applying to medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted930626

What's the best way to go about this? My second semester sophomore year was difficult and really lowered my GPA. My mom lost her job because she got sick, and I had to take on many extra hours at work. However, I made a comeback and my GPA significantly increased afterwards. Do I mention this GPA as part of a redemption story in my personal statement? Or do I just not draw attention to it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the best way to go about this? My second semester sophomore year was difficulty and really lowered my GPA. My mom lost her job because she got sick, and I had to take on many extra hours at work. However, I made a comeback and my GPA significantly increased afterwards. Do I mention this GPA as part of a redemption story in my personal statement? Or do I just not draw attention to it?
Pre-meds seem to have the pathological need to explain every poor grade in their PS's. These rarely look good and always seem to come off as excuse making (or as in your case, displays of poor judgement).

The PS is for "Why Medicine?" and "Who am I?"

Save explanations for secondaries and interviews.

And for the rest of you, if life hits you with a 2x4 while in UG, WITHDRAW for that semester.