How to explain this situation (out of the ordinary publications)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frigidcold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why are you trying to explain in your app? Typically, you provide the citation and that is all. If you are farther down the list of authors, that can indicate to a reader the depth level of your involvement. If you don't feel you can explain the data you processed and analyzed if asked in an interview, then you can leave them off.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@chilly_md I'm actually second author, and I can definitely explain the data. But is it not strange to include the publications but have no activity description that corresponds with it? Maybe I'm overthinking, but it seems very out of the ordinary to say I helped out this second year med student with some projects on the side. Not sure how to phrase it.
That’s the thing. You don’t have to phrase it. Just list it (and read the publication). Your friend is listed as #1? I think people use contacts for data analysis, stats etc that have nothing to do with the actual research more than you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
@chilly_md I'm actually second author, and I can definitely explain the data. But is it not strange to include the publications but have no activity description that corresponds with it? Maybe I'm overthinking, but it seems very out of the ordinary to say I helped out this second year med student with some projects on the side. Not sure how to phrase it.
Major league overthinking on display here.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @candbgirl. For context, applicants also list high school research publications as well without having a slot counting the actual research hours or describing what they did.

Reactions: 2 users