How to Find a Good Job in Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timeoutofmind

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give my two cents to current fellows looking for their first job. I have seen questions popping up about this, and I have learned a lot from this forum so I wanted to give back. And I know the process can be overwhelming and it is hard to get specifics from people, so I really wish I would have known a lot of this starting out.

Obviously people will disagree with things here, but I think generally speaking you will find this to be true to your experiences.

Oct/Nov/Dec is the time to be pedal to the metal with the search. You would be very surprised how many months it takes for concrete stuff to materialize, and how things can fall through as they are approaching completion.

It is really super important to be very proactive and cast a wide net. I know a lot of people in pain who have finished fellowship in the last 1-3 years. The guys with the most prestigious CVs really did not necessarily get the best jobs. It is more about putting in the time to make the connections and explore opportunities

My basic methodology was to contact all the following:
1. Reps from all four SCS companies and let them know the areas I was looking. They put me in contact with their local reps in those areas, who put me in contact with job opportunities
2. VAs in the cities I wanted
3. Academic positions (with residencies/fellowships) in the cities I wanted
4. Googled/Google-mapped the cities I wanted and called the recruiters for the hospitals/hospital systems within about an hour drive of the cities I wanted (usually only a couple per city)
5. Talked to any alumnus of your institution or other contacts you have through other pain fellows or co-residents etc in the cities you want to go to try and speak with anyone actually practicing pain in the city. They will give you invaluable info about the layout and major players
6. It is impossible to find all the private practice opportunities that exist in a city you want, as they are so many and not straight forward to find. But sometimes there is a major player or two that are easy to find online.

I think it is super important to follow up on every lead. Any time someone told me they were not hiring, I asked if they knew who was in the area, for instance. You would be really surprised how helpful some people were and the specifics I found out in this way.

I found a lot of the best opportunities were 30min to an hour outside of the cities I was looking, not really a bad commute at all, especially if you live a little bit on the edge of the city.

Some generalities are that if you want to do a mix of OR and pain or even some acute pain service stuff, you will have the best chance in academics, and a little bit less so but still definitely possible in hospital employment. Academic positions can be uber chill lifestyle or pretty rigorous due to research and administrative requirements it is hard to generalize, I know people in both positions. The good thing about academics is it is kind of CV building/prestigous or a spring board to administration in the right setting.

I think private practice these days is truly the wild west. There are great opportunities, especially if you are not risk-averse, savvy, and are potentially willing to put some money in, but it is really very hard to know what you are getting into ahead of time and you have to do a lot of due diligence. There are a lot of raw deals/tough people out there who will take advantage of you as a new grad. Especially in desirable cities. Many pyramid type things where a few major players who got in earlier make money off everyone elses backs. You need to ask many direct questions about percentage of collections vs production vs RVUs, buy-in opportunities to surgi-center versus practice, specifics with your benefits, how are the referrals going to be generated/split up, etc etc. Discuss your offers with people you know in private practice and this board.

The other two issues with private practice are: Not just in pain, but in all fields, there is a demonstrable, significant shift toward physician employment in the last several years for a variety of economic reasons. The main issue is that hospitals have powerful political lobbies, and if you do the same injection in a hospital vs a private practice office, it pays many times more in the hospital. And also all the increasing regulatory requirements "meaningful use, etc" are very hard for mom and pop shops to do versus easier for hospitals with more infrastructure. I did find a few healthy groups, but many seemed to be struggling to survive for these reasons. Was kinda depressing actually... I think the issue with this, though really, is that it drives many of them to have to do what they can to survive, and even though people complain about "not being your own boss" "hospital administrators" etc, you will have a much greater chance of not being pressured to do things you dont agree with/like in a hospital employee setting, then in most private practices. At least that is what I found. And most of your referrals are internal, so there is much less pressure to please referrers in ways you may not want to (opioids etc).

I found that, with very few exceptions, jobs posted online or via recruiters were not good at all when actually looked into. Makes sense I think, that they are having to post it so tough to fill...

In terms of money, dont bring it up until they do generally, but at least wait till the second or third conversation. MGMA 50% for pain is around $440,000 if you can believe it, for pay. BUT The MGMA average is a little deceptive...because a few of the big dogs are raking it in and skewing the curve up despite the small number of them, and many of the docs are not seeing those average numbers as a result. But think about what your benefit package is worth as part of the offer you are getting too...these can add up to 50-100K sometimes, and some private practices offer OK looking salaries but almost no benefits. But basically no one will shell 440K over right off the bat in private practice, because it is more about the potentially very large gains to be had when you actually invest in the business, if you can find a good deal like this among all the bad ones, versus just getting a huge salary. But for academic jobs I wouldnt go any lower than 250, and for hospital employee positions, start with the 50% MGMA number to get the negotiations going in a good place (and tell them/show them this is what most pain docs earn to back it up), and shouldnt be less than 300 at the lowest. But then again, you just gotta take what you get in the end, especially if you have family or geographic limitations, regardless of what the average numbers are.

For hospital employment it's usually RVU based. 6500 rvus is very doable, and up to 10000 is not uncommon when u are a few years in of your setup is efficient.

65$ is a reasonable amount per RVU (called a conversion factor) when u are new and bringing no new business to the table. I got more than this, and many do, but that's all location (rural v metro) and negotiation specific.

If u do the math 65x6500= around 420K.

Pain can be an awesome field, or a terrible one, all depending on your practice. It is much more variable then other fields of medicine in this regard.

Do the hard work up front!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Very good advice all round. I would add from painful experience to watch out for senior pain providers looking for a young energetic evidence-based pain guy to take all their high-dose chronic opioid patients off their hands. This will take the pep out of your step quicker than a call from the IRS.

I need to take a hospital job. 6500 rvu then take the other 6 months off.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what they all say until they try it! The old saying about flying with eagles and working with turkeys may apply.

7. If you want to make money, don't work on the left Coast or in the northeast.

And don't be afraid to ask via PM where your colleagues were screwed over. I feel like we should make an anonymous black list somewhere on exactly how some of us were screwed.
Ok the northeast comment may not apply in your situation!

Reactions: 1 users
This is a great thread and I am glad you shared this insight. I absolutely agree with most of the advice you have listed.

I wanted to add my 2 cents if you dont mind...since I lived through this recently (I finished fellowship June 2015).
I negotiated my contract with the hospital 8 months ago after a horrible experience with a PP where I had no choice but to resign, and my total compensation is around market value that you quoted. I work for a non profit hospital.
One thing you should know is that the real value of a pain physician is not in just clinical work, rather providing tons of ancillary services and facility fee to the organization. That, my friend, will never be shared with you since the hospital will never admit that you are the one responsible for that revenue.

Pros of hospital based jobs:
- Usually better benefits, healthcare, retirement accounts - I am eligible to 403, 457b, AND 457f (5% contribution). I can defer ~ 36K from my taxes and get an additional 5% of my gross with a 5 year vesting schedule.
- No pressure to advertise, or try to please anyone. Do not get me wrong, you will still have your share of inappropriate referrals, but atleast you will have some background on the patient before you see them for the first time.
- Initial risk is taken by the hospital esp. when its a new service line (they never had a full time pain doctor at my hospital before me).
- No start up cost for you. This is the biggest one.
- Access to an ASC, nursing staff, access to IV sedation for my RFA and caudal cath procedures. Nursing to place IV's for my CESI, and sympathetic plexus blocks. I did not have that at my PP job which was clinic based.

Cons:
- lots of administrative and political B.S. For instance, I have to fight everytime if I want basic things. I have to take the time out and present a "business model" to the hospital's new innovations committee for anything new, take SCS for instance, which is an standard and accepted therapy in pain management. I had to do it for RFA generator also. SCS implant got turned down because the spine surgeon was not happy that I wanted to do them (they are not happy because they tried to hire me for their group, but due to my previous PP experience, I did not want to be an employee of ANY PP group). The "new innovations committee" is a group of 15 people from the chief of staff to billing to coding, to operating room supervisor, i.e. people who have no involvement in my decision with the patient to place a SCS but have input on what and how things should be done. And they didn't approve it.
So, I refer my implants out to a different facility which is our affiliate, and schedule the implant on my day off with another pain doc who is far more senior and understands my dilemma and implants with me. Its a PTA. But, case in point - irrespective of your job, find someone local who is a respected pain physician (ESP. if you're alone).
- The hospital will never be transparent with you in regards to your expenses. I looked at my monthly revenue sheet and it made me laugh.
1) Admin/ Mgt salary - $5500!! RIDICULOUS. We have one person managing ~ 20 specialty physician practices, and my manager is NEVER in the same facility. Its frigging annoying - I have to text and call and book an appt to resolve issues. Then she has the gall to schedule a meeting with us once a month without our consent on our busiest day during our lunch time, and it pissed off my MA's. So we decided to take our lunch the hour before to stop this behavior.
This is where PP is better - a manager you hire will be under your control. On my monthly expense sheet, they list $ 5500 for each of these 20 practices btw, so 5k x 20 = $100k / month for management and admin expenses for all practices...LOL. I flat out pointed this out to them last meeting and they stayed quiet and surprised that I can do basic grade 4 math.
2) rent - $4000/ month - so there was a time I was trying to find rental space when I considered going solo. In my area, rent for a much nicer and better shared office with a common secretary was $1200. So again, this is the transparency issue that I am bringing up.
3) Computer/ EHR/ IT support - $3200/ month - we use ECW, which I really dont like, but ok. If I was solo, I would use web-based EHR like practice fusion. Its free also.
Salaries for my two MA - $ 5000 - this is ok (14-15/ hour).
-You will never build any equity and this is where you get rich. You will not be able to invest into your practice. the real estate, the ASC, write off your expenses. You will not be able to negotiate better to make your practice profitable for you. In essence, you will have very little control over your money - which is OK in the beginning, but NOT when you're bringing the hospital millions of dollars and getting paid a small %.

Solution (atleast to me): After running a LOT of numbers and permutations
The only viable solution is independent practice IMO esp. if you're able to do 50+ procedures a week and see 100+patients in clinic a week (ideally ~ 800 visits a month is the aim - that number gets thrown oyut a lot 60% - level 2-3 billing, 30% level 4, 10% level 5 billing - mostly news and complicated pts - that is general). That works out to be 20 clinic visits and 10 procedures a day. That is average for most solo multi-disciplinary pain practices, given you have a NP/PA who can do med refills and help you see follow ups.
And yes, you will have to do opioid management for chronic non malignant pain [we can debate this all night long as to legitimacy of this, but lets stick to being practical], because you CANNOT do procedures for some patients/ or it does not make sense. I.E. Your ischemic/ vascular disease patients with infected wounds who cannot stop their anti coagulation, or your cancer patients (thats a given) or your post lami patients with multiple comorbid conditions that need breakthrough meds and have already had SCS, Caudal cath, ESIs etc and their BG shoots up everytime you inject. Its all about risk stratification and risk management. So far, zero bad outcomes for me *knock on wood*

Anyways, I have come to the conclusion that this is how you go about doing this:
1) Pick a location you want to be long term. This, is the important factor - not anything else. If you have kids, their schooling determines your job location. If you have a spouse who wants to move because of no job opportunities, that also determines your location. Patients will come if you're a good doctor. There is enough demand. I am already booked till end of Feb and there are 5 pain docs in my area.
2) Work for a Non-profit (or even academic) institution for a few years, and then negotiate in your contract with an "option to be independent" clause at the conclusion of your contract, once you see your practice is maturing. That way you go solo with a solid census of patients you have built and trust the patient and work with patients who agree with your treatment philosophy. Non-profit hospitals are generally OK with this esp. if you bring in some cases to them and send your imaging studies to them. PP are not IMO.
OR
3) Do locums, 6-12 months - anesthesia/ maybe ASC work and start a pain practice on the side. I have started doing General Anesthesia specifically for this reason. You may have to take on opioid patients in the beginning and do the hard job of weaning them off of their meds and doing procedures. You will not be able to be too picky in who you take on as a patient. But you can certainly try to do the right thing while getting a paycheck.

One thing for sure is, you will have to convince me really hard to be an employee of a PP group again. Most of them are scumbags. Its either hospital based or solo for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
agree with your post.

id offer a suggestion from the solutions aspect...

1. one may decide that financial renumeration is not the most important aspect, and that financial stability is more important.

2. one might also decide that the patient population that really needs access to appropriate multidisciplinary pain care is not one where economies of scale really are available in any PP model. as noted on other threads, the most at risk population - Medicaid and no insurance - have very limited access to pain care, and while they are by far the most recidivist, appropriate care may be most helpful from a system wide and social standpoint.

in both of these cases, a hospital based clinic may be the best (and possibly only) option.

Reactions: 3 users
^financial stability is certainly important and that is certainly the end-game.
However, if you look at the student loans new doctors are graduating with, financial renumeration becomes an important factor too in order to plan our future. And you cant really blame the new doc from going for the job that pays the most $$, even though it may not be the wisest decision or the right practice for them...

There just isn't enough time to learn all these things in fellowship - like contract negotiation and learning how to interpret the language on contracts. It is impossible to get ALL the background information on the practice you will be joining (assume it is a PP). However, I always asked qn's like why is the current doctor leaving and why are they hiring...

I forgot to add - as general advice to new docs - make sure you pass your boards as soon as possible. Many insurance companies will not credential you if you are not board certified in pain medicine (Cigna comes to mind immediately). This will negatively impact your revenue generation as you may not be able to see those patients.
Expect 3-6 months for you to be credentialed by insurances fully - medicare and BCBS are the fastest...so I actually think having employment secured by March and latest April of Fellowship year is important. That way, you can start on your license, CAQH profile, and avoid too much time off between fellowship and work. Licensing takes a long time - most notably, TX - I would recommend if you want to work in Texas, start license application as soon as you start your fellowship...

Reactions: 1 users
Stability is important. One may think being employed is more stable, but keep in mind the pea brain with a BA degree lording above you who just took a 5 week vacation to Spain from the money you made her...can fire you at any time, for any reason. Refuse to see too many drug seeking patients? Fired. Billing department screw you out of 100K worth of procedures over the course of a year and you complain about it? Fired. Tell a junkie patient they can't have any more candy and need to go to rehab instead of you? Fired. Or maybe the hospital merges with another hospital with a larger pain group than yours and they decide they don't need you any more because the other pain docs are FMGs and work like dogs for less money upon threat of deportation? Fired.

If you can become invisible, you can avoid all these issues in an employed scenario. Being invisible a slow form of torture for some.

This is a great thread and I am glad you shared this insight. I absolutely agree with most of the advice you have listed.

I wanted to add my 2 cents if you dont mind...since I lived through this recently (I finished fellowship June 2015).
I negotiated my contract with the hospital 8 months ago after a horrible experience with a PP where I had no choice but to resign, and my total compensation is around market value that you quoted. I work for a non profit hospital.
One thing you should know is that the real value of a pain physician is not in just clinical work, rather providing tons of ancillary services and facility fee to the organization. That, my friend, will never be shared with you since the hospital will never admit that you are the one responsible for that revenue.

Pros of hospital based jobs:
- Usually better benefits, healthcare, retirement accounts - I am eligible to 403, 457b, AND 457f (5% contribution). I can defer ~ 36K from my taxes and get an additional 5% of my gross with a 5 year vesting schedule.
- No pressure to advertise, or try to please anyone. Do not get me wrong, you will still have your share of inappropriate referrals, but atleast you will have some background on the patient before you see them for the first time.
- Initial risk is taken by the hospital esp. when its a new service line (they never had a full time pain doctor at my hospital before me).
- No start up cost for you. This is the biggest one.
- Access to an ASC, nursing staff, access to IV sedation for my RFA and caudal cath procedures. Nursing to place IV's for my CESI, and sympathetic plexus blocks. I did not have that at my PP job which was clinic based.

Cons:
- lots of administrative and political B.S. For instance, I have to fight everytime if I want basic things. I have to take the time out and present a "business model" to the hospital's new innovations committee for anything new, take SCS for instance, which is an standard and accepted therapy in pain management. I had to do it for RFA generator also. SCS implant got turned down because the spine surgeon was not happy that I wanted to do them (they are not happy because they tried to hire me for their group, but due to my previous PP experience, I did not want to be an employee of ANY PP group). The "new innovations committee" is a group of 15 people from the chief of staff to billing to coding, to operating room supervisor, i.e. people who have no involvement in my decision with the patient to place a SCS but have input on what and how things should be done. And they didn't approve it.
So, I refer my implants out to a different facility which is our affiliate, and schedule the implant on my day off with another pain doc who is far more senior and understands my dilemma and implants with me. Its a PTA. But, case in point - irrespective of your job, find someone local who is a respected pain physician (ESP. if you're alone).
- The hospital will never be transparent with you in regards to your expenses. I looked at my monthly revenue sheet and it made me laugh.
1) Admin/ Mgt salary - $5500!! RIDICULOUS. We have one person managing ~ 20 specialty physician practices, and my manager is NEVER in the same facility. Its frigging annoying - I have to text and call and book an appt to resolve issues. Then she has the gall to schedule a meeting with us once a month without our consent on our busiest day during our lunch time, and it pissed off my MA's. So we decided to take our lunch the hour before to stop this behavior.
This is where PP is better - a manager you hire will be under your control. On my monthly expense sheet, they list $ 5500 for each of these 20 practices btw, so 5k x 20 = $100k / month for management and admin expenses for all practices...LOL. I flat out pointed this out to them last meeting and they stayed quiet and surprised that I can do basic grade 4 math.
2) rent - $4000/ month - so there was a time I was trying to find rental space when I considered going solo. In my area, rent for a much nicer and better shared office with a common secretary was $1200. So again, this is the transparency issue that I am bringing up.
3) Computer/ EHR/ IT support - $3200/ month - we use ECW, which I really dont like, but ok. If I was solo, I would use web-based EHR like practice fusion. Its free also.
Salaries for my two MA - $ 5000 - this is ok (14-15/ hour).
-You will never build any equity and this is where you get rich. You will not be able to invest into your practice. the real estate, the ASC, write off your expenses. You will not be able to negotiate better to make your practice profitable for you. In essence, you will have very little control over your money - which is OK in the beginning, but NOT when you're bringing the hospital millions of dollars and getting paid a small %.

Solution (atleast to me): After running a LOT of numbers and permutations
The only viable solution is independent practice IMO esp. if you're able to do 50+ procedures a week and see 100+patients in clinic a week (ideally ~ 800 visits a month is the aim - that number gets thrown oyut a lot 60% - level 2-3 billing, 30% level 4, 10% level 5 billing - mostly news and complicated pts - that is general). That works out to be 20 clinic visits and 10 procedures a day. That is average for most solo multi-disciplinary pain practices, given you have a NP/PA who can do med refills and help you see follow ups.
And yes, you will have to do opioid management for chronic non malignant pain [we can debate this all night long as to legitimacy of this, but lets stick to being practical], because you CANNOT do procedures for some patients/ or it does not make sense. I.E. Your ischemic/ vascular disease patients with infected wounds who cannot stop their anti coagulation, or your cancer patients (thats a given) or your post lami patients with multiple comorbid conditions that need breakthrough meds and have already had SCS, Caudal cath, ESIs etc and their BG shoots up everytime you inject. Its all about risk stratification and risk management. So far, zero bad outcomes for me *knock on wood*

Anyways, I have come to the conclusion that this is how you go about doing this:
1) Pick a location you want to be long term. This, is the important factor - not anything else. If you have kids, their schooling determines your job location. If you have a spouse who wants to move because of no job opportunities, that also determines your location. Patients will come if you're a good doctor. There is enough demand. I am already booked till end of Feb and there are 5 pain docs in my area.
2) Work for a Non-profit (or even academic) institution for a few years, and then negotiate in your contract with an "option to be independent" clause at the conclusion of your contract, once you see your practice is maturing. That way you go solo with a solid census of patients you have built and trust the patient and work with patients who agree with your treatment philosophy. Non-profit hospitals are generally OK with this esp. if you bring in some cases to them and send your imaging studies to them. PP are not IMO.
OR
3) Do locums, 6-12 months - anesthesia/ maybe ASC work and start a pain practice on the side. I have started doing General Anesthesia specifically for this reason. You may have to take on opioid patients in the beginning and do the hard job of weaning them off of their meds and doing procedures. You will not be able to be too picky in who you take on as a patient. But you can certainly try to do the right thing while getting a paycheck.

One thing for sure is, you will have to convince me really hard to be an employee of a PP group again. Most of them are scumbags. Its either hospital based or solo for me.

good info.

but you are underbilling. most of your visits should be level 4s, with some level 3s. i cant remember the last time i billed a level 2. a little more documentation pays big time dividends in the long run

Stability is important. One may think being employed is more stable, but keep in mind the pea brain with a BA degree lording above you who just took a 5 week vacation to Spain from the money you made her...can fire you at any time, for any reason. Refuse to see too many drug seeking patients? Fired. Billing department screw you out of 100K worth of procedures over the course of a year and you complain about it? Fired. Tell a junkie patient they can't have any more candy and need to go to rehab instead of you? Fired. Or maybe the hospital merges with another hospital with a larger pain group than yours and they decide they don't need you any more because the other pain docs are FMGs and work like dogs for less money upon threat of deportation? Fired.

If you can become invisible, you can avoid all these issues in an employed scenario. Being invisible a slow form of torture for some.

Amen. Brother.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like reps haven't been helpful at all...

I would actually like the idea of being hospital ormsolo but being solo is sooooo intimidating out of fellowship.

In regards to in house hospital based recruiting how did you find their contact info? For example I cannot get the info for Stanford Health at all despite so many attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Although reps did not seem to put in much effort, they were helpful in opening some intriguing interviews for me (not all) earlier this season. Be politely persistent on asking them for leads (inadvertent pun).

For Stanford Health, I would contact Human Resources initially: http://med.stanford.edu/hrg.html; it is likely that you have already done this. Also, you can have your section chief contact their chief (if you wish to go academic). Best wishes on the job search.

I feel like reps haven't been helpful at all...

I would actually like the idea of being hospital ormsolo but being solo is sooooo intimidating out of fellowship.

In regards to in house hospital based recruiting how did you find their contact info? For example I cannot get the info for Stanford Health at all despite so many attempts.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Two ways into Stanford-Director of physician/provider recruitment is Nick Glogovac (650) 725-6741 with an e-mail going into him and the department at [email protected] He will be able to forward appropriate as needed.

The academic route would be either Alyssa Martinez who is the administrative contact for the Anesthesia, Perioperative and Pain division--or Wendy Schadle who is the administrative assistant to the department--e-mails respectively are [email protected]
and [email protected]
Either one of them should be able to get you to the right administrative physician with this regards.
Hope that helps!

How important is avoiding a non-compete clause?

Depends upon the area and how restrictive. If it locks you out of the area for a period where you plan to settle down permanently, then you may be in trouble. If the area doesn't matter, not as big of a deal if you don't mind moving. The enforceability also varies from state to state. Some also allow you to pay to get out.

Read carefully when you are presented with one as well. Know if it is all facilities, just the clinics you're in, just the clinics you're in X % of the time, etc. I've heard of some non-competes with big systems that will effectively lock you out of a state, though the enforceability is questionable for that big of a restriction.

if I were you.... use mapquest or other system to draw a circle around the area of the clinic - and other clinics they they may claim are part of their system. see if there are other competing clinics/hospitals in the area that might be affected. make sure the non-compete is not so wide that you are regulated to a different state...

If u can get into an ACGME fellowship, that is def the priority.

If u cant, will hurt u on the job trail, esp in academics/hospital employment, etc (private practice is sort of whatever goes) but obviously nothing u can do about that except do ur best in your job search.

I don't think our group would hire a non-accredited person. We are private practice. More and more concern that insurers will continue to deny payments. May get to the point that no board certification means no auth for payments.