How to find out average board scores by residency program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, anybody know how to find out average board scores broken down by specific residency program? I have heard this statistic thrown around by some, and I wonder where they get this info?

best, Ligament

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about the SAE scores or the actual board scores? The program directors get the SAE scores of each residency program, but I don't think the actual board scores are released. Two of our attendings won the award for the highest score in the nation the year they took the exam.

I think that USMLE scores are important, but I think that they are unreliable in terms of how competitive a certain program is.

For example, a 210 that did an elective THAT program may in fact be more desirable than a 230 that did not rotate through. I know this is the case at my school.

(Actually, this exact scenario was offered to me by the retinal surgeon in terms of ophtho residency at my school, but I'm sure similar examples could apply to almost any program in any specialty.)