How To Find Similar People

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No offense, but I hate students who just study for grades, and unfortunately this seems to incorporate most pre-meds. Oddly enough, I find that in some subjects, people actually study just because they love learning the stuff, but I haven't found this to be true in any of my science courses. The students COMPLAIN all the time, hardly ever think for themselves, and CHEAT at insane levels, and I hate it. Is there a chance of finding a social group with ideals similar to mine in college? If so, where?!

In high school, there's either the educated grade-grubbing student or the lazy, party-all-day student. Where are the students who attend plays and visit museums, engage in some sports, study and do well, and still have time for less mentally-intensive fun?

Members don't see this ad.

I love musical theatre! Do I count?

On the other hand, can one really enjoy learning in high school? Really? They information that they teach is so generic and the structure so lackadaisical that it's almost impossible to take any appreciation for the material. Wait until you get to college, in the upper levels of your major. That's where you'll find your people.

The amount of cheating that went on at my high school infuriated me, also. Of our top ten students, I had seen at least 4 of them cheat on at least on occasion... sometimes laughingly obviously, too.

Everybody like that doesn't go away in college, but the crowd of people you can choose to associate with increases amazingly. At my college, we have a (now defunct) Undergraduate Journal Club, where a member presents an interesting study or paper released in the recent weeks at every meeting. Now that is someplace to find people interested in really learning. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, you may be an exception. But I sometimes think I'm the ONLY one on the planet who actually picks up philosophy books and reads them, since everyone else only plays video games all day. I mean, SERIOUSLY?! I'm not trying to be elitist or anything, so don't get any ideas...I just feel so...alone in this. And in high school, you're sorted into groups. So, seeing as I study, suddenly I'm a life-lacking nerd?? Just because I'm doing well grade-wise, I can't go out for a few drinks or attend someone's play?! It's like I have to choose one group of friends or the other, and I can't understand it, I'm so frustrated!

What I really hate about high school is the lack of time and the grades, none of which is really going to change in college. The teachers seem to teach only for the tests, and the entire environment therefore discourages learning for the sake of learning. Just when I think someone actually cares, they somehow make it obvious that they're just there for resume-padding. It may make no difference to most of the aforementioned people, but it makes a hell of a difference to me. :(

The amount of cheating that went on at my high school infuriated me, also. Of our top ten students, I had seen at least 4 of them cheat on at least on occasion... sometimes laughingly obviously, too.

Everybody like that doesn't go away in college, but the crowd of people you can choose to associate with increases amazingly. At my college, we have a (now defunct) Undergraduate Journal Club, where a member presents an interesting study or paper released in the recent weeks at every meeting. Now that is someplace to find people interested in really learning. :laugh:

Thanks for the location tip! :D I know I'm not going to find these people in the ultra-competitive, antagonistic majors....sorry. :p For the life of me, I can't understand why that is, either--biology is so interesting!

Standardized testing is a rant you do not want to get me on. We'll just say that on my List of Things Bush Did to F-Up the US, Iraq isn't at the top.

I do sympathize, though. My senior nickname in band was broken "I can't, I have to study" tibula (it was my first and last name, in actuality, but you get the idea), and I catch flack from my friends for being a bookworm. They also know that when I start a sentence with, "Actually," or "Hey, did you know that..." it's time to tell me to shut up. They totally don't share my nerdy love of learning.

I guess what I'd say is that you have to connect with people on a non-academic level. Surely there's something else you like in life besides learning? Go out drinking with people. Go play some touch football. And then when you want to go read philosophy, read philosophy. Seriously. Don't make me make you watch High School Musical...

Standardized testing is a rant you do not want to get me on. We'll just say that on my List of Things Bush Did to F-Up the US, Iraq isn't at the top.

I do sympathize, though. My senior nickname in band was broken "I can't, I have to study" tibula (it was my first and last name, in actuality, but you get the idea), and I catch flack from my friends for being a bookworm. They also know that when I start a sentence with, "Actually," or "Hey, did you know that..." it's time to tell me to shut up. They totally don't share my nerdy love of learning.

I guess what I'd say is that you have to connect with people on a non-academic level. Surely there's something else you like in life besides learning? Go out drinking with people. Go play some touch football. And then when you want to go read philosophy, read philosophy. Seriously. Don't make me make you watch High School Musical...

Hahaha, that's exactly my problem, though. In high school, at least, this isn't really possible. I am not what most people would associate with the nerdy type, but I love learning and love being well-informed about society in terms of current events and the arts. Therefore, hanging out with sports guys or theater guys is an absolute no-no, as I'm now officially a "nerd." And I don't even do all of that "Actually..." stuff, no fair. :p Not to mention that it's difficult for me to find someone like me--who can enjoy learning and having fun, but not just one or the other, because stupid people are just as irritating as the study-all-day-and-night types.

I don't know...and please don't be offended if you're one of the types I'm insulting. :D

I always love learning about the human brain--as much as I can--I always love to find new ideas and theories to why things happen the way they do because I am a very concrete sorta guy--I always like to know the reason for things--and when I tell the majority of my family and friends these new really interesting things I have just learned, they seem like they are not listening. I don't know if it's just because I tell it to them in a boring way or because the topic is naturally not interesting to them. I can only share these things that I have learned on this website or to my dad because the people here and my dad are kind of just like me--most of us here and my dad like to learn about stuff because it is cool to learn about.

I'm in a high school though where most of the people are like me--It's called University high and it is a very rigorous and intense high school program set up to prepare students for college--and it really helps. Many of the people there are typical high school students but all are still over achievers. It is almost impossible to cheat so that helps. It is also not a bunch of rich, prestige idiots wearing uniforms because it is a public school inside and on the campus of a regular high school.

I love musical theatre! Do I count?

On the other hand, can one really enjoy learning in high school? Really? They information that they teach is so generic and the structure so lackadaisical that it's almost impossible to take any appreciation for the material. Wait until you get to college, in the upper levels of your major. That's where you'll find your people.

The answer to that is yes!!! :D Are you bloody kidding me? I lived for it everyday! My English courses were sickly long and intense but I loved every stinking minute of it! From writing those essays to the poetry . :love: Right down to the sexy smexy math problems <3

I loved anything in social studies heck I even enjoyed World History and I hate history! I so miss American Civics though I finished that course in less than 6 months :cool: I rock I know...

Did I mention my final overall grades average 94 and up .hehe OMG and Psychology 100s hehe !!!

So I don't just study for the grades I study to learn and my gosh it gets me all tingling inside! I live to study . :) And yes I said live to study .

Sorry I get bragging sometimes on my grades they are my educational trophy's <3

The answer to that is yes!!! :D Are you bloody kidding me? I lived for it everyday! My English courses were sickly long and intense but I loved every stinking minute of it! From writing those essays to the poetry . :love: Right down to the sexy smexy math problems <3

I loved anything in social studies heck I even enjoyed World History and I hate history! I so miss American Civics though I finished that course in less than 6 months :cool: I rock I know...

Did I mention my final overall grades average 94 and up .hehe OMG and Psychology 100s hehe !!!

So I don't just study for the grades I study to learn and my gosh it gets me all tingling inside! I live to study . :) And yes I said live to study .

Sorry I get bragging sometimes on my grades they are my educational trophy's <3

Minus the actually liking learning part, this is the kind of happy-go-lucky-I-love-the-corrupt-system person I'm trying to avoid. :laugh: It's great to do well, it really is, but is there ANYTHING else interesting about you? Do you read books outside of English class just for fun? I live to learn, but I will never ever live to study--over my dead body!

There's someone I know with this attitude, and she's always trying to stick her "superior" ass into presidential positions to get points with the colleges, and it drives me up the freaking wall. Great, you're excited, we get it. :rolleyes: Where can I find the more low-key passionate people, who know when to step back and listen, too? More thoughtful people, who contemplate the world and never accept things for what they seem to be? Somebody find me a niche. :(

I love competition--but everyone else that does seems antagonistic and malicious. Has anyone else noticed this? People lie about how much they study, about what assignments they completed, about what grades they got, and about other things. What the hell is up with this?! :p

(Again, no offense, just trying to get my point across! ;) Feel free to criticize back--it can only improve me.)

EDIT: Input from people already in college would also be great. Where should I look into?

Minus the actually liking learning part, this is the kind of happy-go-lucky-I-love-the-corrupt-system person I'm trying to avoid. :laugh: It's great to do well, it really is, but is there ANYTHING else interesting about you? Do you read books outside of English class just for fun? I live to learn, but I will never ever live to study--over my dead body!

There's someone I know with this attitude, and she's always trying to stick her "superior" ass into presidential positions to get points with the colleges, and it drives me up the freaking wall. Great, you're excited, we get it. :rolleyes: Where can I find the more low-key passionate people, who know when to step back and listen, too? More thoughtful people, who contemplate the world and never accept things for what they seem to be? Somebody find me a niche. :(

I love competition--but everyone else that does seems antagonistic and malicious. Has anyone else noticed this? People lie about how much they study, about what assignments they completed, about what grades they got, and about other things. What the hell is up with this?! :p

(Again, no offense, just trying to get my point across! ;) Feel free to criticize back--it can only improve me.)

EDIT: Input from people already in college would also be great. Where should I look into?

How do you mean by step back and listen ? I listen to people and I tries to help them been doing it my whole life . Then i came to realize hey why not be a psychologist ? :)

I am passionate about school, I'll get so pissed if someone tries to keep me from my books, gr!

Well let's see you will have to tell me if you find anything else interesting about me . ;)

Let's see I :

Love to shop online and in stores , love those bargains!
I'm a clothes horse so my closet is busting at the seams but does that stop me? Nope
I'm very materialistic
I'm not selfish but very giving , I think I give tooooo much though!
I love being online playing games , especially on Facebook and neopets, yes neopets. I have their stuffed toys lol.
I love to bake and cook. I want to do classes one day but don't know when I will be able to !
I can take $20 and make it in $100 in no time , that's just how savvy I am with money ( no joke )
I enjoy watching sports but I am dangerous playing them , ask my victims, dad, sisters etc,lol. I love basketball,football,soccer, and hockey, yes I am a newly found hockey fan ! :D
I ama TV junky watch loads of it.
Talk about food and I'll just talk for hours, don't get me started,haha.
I have a shoe fetish , so again my poor closet,lol.
I do art , I write songs and poetry . I want to learn to play the guitar and piano. By art I am talking drawings , clay etc .
I love spongebob lol
I love bingo
I carry my purse around the house like you do in the store, I know weird.
I sleep with my textbooks

That's all I can think of for now,lol! You tell me is that interesting or not. :laugh:

EDIT : Books, Al Gore's book, and Smart Debt lol. Does the dictionary count? I have it in spanish , english and french,lol!!!!!!!!!!

How do you mean by step back and listen ? I listen to people and I tries to help them been doing it my whole life . Then i came to realize hey why not be a psychologist ? :)

I am passionate about school, I'll get so pissed if someone tries to keep me from my books, gr!

Well let's see you will have to tell me if you find anything else interesting about me . ;)

Let's see I :

Love to shop online and in stores , love those bargains!
I'm a clothes horse so my closet is busting at the seams but does that stop me? Nope
I'm very materialistic
I'm not selfish but very giving , I think I give tooooo much though!
I love being online playing games , especially on Facebook and neopets, yes neopets. I have their stuffed toys lol.
I love to bake and cook. I want to do classes one day but don't know when I will be able to !
I can take $20 and make it in $100 in no time , that's just how savvy I am with money ( no joke )
I enjoy watching sports but I am dangerous playing them , ask my victims, dad, sisters etc,lol. I love basketball,football,soccer, and hockey, yes I am a newly found hockey fan ! :D
I ama TV junky watch loads of it.
Talk about food and I'll just talk for hours, don't get me started,haha.
I have a shoe fetish , so again my poor closet,lol.
I do art , I write songs and poetry . I want to learn to play the guitar and piano. By art I am talking drawings , clay etc .
I love spongebob lol
I love bingo
I carry my purse around the house like you do in the store, I know weird.
I sleep with my textbooks

That's all I can think of for now,lol! You tell me is that interesting or not. :laugh:

Haha, you're quite a combo of opposites! :p It's probably just the nature of my high school...but materialistic, shoppy girls and people who study just don't communicate. Weird, huh? Of course, this goes double for guys divided by sports and education. Does all of this categorizing really go away? If I can't find someone who loves everything I do...maybe I can befriend pretty much anyone, clique regardless?

I wasn't referring to you at all, to answer your first question, but rather to the girl in one of my classes. :p Think Amber from House, but louder.

EDIT: I think I'm going to have to start searching English and Humanities students for that, then, lol. Hopefully making friends outside of your major isn't too radical.

Last edited:
Haha, you're quite a combo of opposites! :p It's probably just the nature of my high school...but materialistic, shoppy girls and people who study just don't communicate. Weird, huh? Of course, this goes double for guys divided by sports and education. Does all of this categorizing really go away? If I can't find someone who loves everything I do...maybe I can befriend pretty much anyone, clique regardless?

I wasn't referring to you at all, to answer your first question, but rather to the girl in one of my classes. :p Think Amber from House, but louder.

lol , I suppose so . Conflicting I'd say . I don't believe any of it does , cause your are still categorizing even in college just different levels for different reasons, we people in society need to feel part of something , a group , a name , a type to feel like we fit in , when we don't feel like we do , we search else where til we do . In my opinion you already are in a category , you just needs others to relate to it. But that's my theory . ;)

I don't see it possible for someone to love everything you do , rather you need someone with alot of likes , like you . I believe you can befriend few but get along with many , who knows! These are just my views. :p

Oh i know but i felt compelled to explain me lol. I am madly inlove with school, you have no idea ,lol .

Members don't see this ad :)
lol , I suppose so . Conflicting I'd say . I don't believe any of it does , cause your are still categorizing even in college just different levels for different reasons, we people in society need to feel part of something , a group , a name , a type to feel like we fit in , when we don't feel like we do , we search else where til we do . In my opinion you already are in a category , you just needs others to relate to it. But that's my theory . ;)

I don't see it possible for someone to love everything you do , rather you need someone with alot of likes , like you . I believe you can befriend few but get along with many , who knows! These are just my views. :p

Oh i know but i felt compelled to explain me lol. I am madly inlove with school, you have no idea ,lol .

It makes sense to want to feel a sense of belonging and thus fit into a group, but most people can fit into many groups! For me, one group is insanely limiting, because I'm curious about everything. Supposedly college is more accepting and open-minded of other people, which is what I like. For example, none of the friends I go out to movies with are AP students--at least, not heavily AP students, although they do take some AP classes--because all AP students talk about is grades. That's great--when you're in class or in tutoring or something, but not 24/7/365. :p To me, context makes all the difference.

Hahahahaha, show off! :cool:

I guess I'm lucky. At my school most of the jocks and even the party-prep crowd are really cool and receptive to cool people. You and me sound a lot alike (I love philosophy, probably going to double major microbio/philos). And I know exactly what you mean by the goody-goody kids who try to flaunt their hard classes and do nothing but study to get that extra percent (that doesn't matter): I take all hard classes so I run into them a lot. Hate is a strong word, but I highly dislike being anywhere near them (just their posture and voice can be irritating...).

At my high school it's possible to be friends with just about anyone and everyone if you're a social/laid back kind of person. I guess you'd say I fit into just about every group at my school, although I try to avoid a few (smart goody-good, emo, super hippies).

Although, it does seem very difficult to find anyone who thinks for themselves about things like philosophy and religion. I guess it's either party, sports, or study (the first two often go hand in hand). I've often wondered if there was anyone at my school that was at a middle ground, but so far I don't think I've met anyone who was. I'm hoping if I major in philosophy I'll meet some people that think more about things. I'm taking some philosophy courses up at WashU this summer so I might meet some people there.

Since I haven't really met anyone at a good middle ground, I predominantly hang out with the jocks/party-preps, as they're usually the most tolerant, laid back, and least annoying of the bunch. The jocks can be borderline ******ed sometimes though, which can get pretty annoying.

I guess I'm lucky. At my school most of the jocks and even the party-prep crowd are really cool and receptive to cool people. You and me sound a lot alike (I love philosophy, probably going to double major microbio/philos). And I know exactly what you mean by the goody-goody kids who try to flaunt their hard classes and do nothing but study to get that extra percent (that doesn't matter): I take all hard classes so I run into them a lot. Hate is a strong word, but I highly dislike being anywhere near them (just their posture and voice can be irritating...).

At my high school it's possible to be friends with just about anyone and everyone if you're a social/laid back kind of person. I guess you'd say I fit into just about every group at my school, although I try to avoid a few (smart goody-good, emo, super hippies).

Although, it does seem very difficult to find anyone who thinks for themselves about things like philosophy and religion. I guess it's either party, sports, or study (the first two often go hand in hand). I've often wondered if there was anyone at my school that was at a middle ground, but so far I don't think I've met anyone who was. I'm hoping if I major in philosophy I'll meet some people that think more about things. I'm taking some philosophy courses up at WashU this summer so I might meet some people there.

Since I haven't really met anyone at a good middle ground, I predominantly hang out with the jocks/party-preps, as they're usually the most tolerant, laid back, and least annoying of the bunch. The jocks can be borderline ******ed sometimes though, which can get pretty annoying.

Hmm I am just the study-hard / geek/dork types . :p I suppose ?

Hmm I am just the study-hard / geek/dork types . :p I suppose ?

There's a difference between the study-hards and the geeks/dorks. Most of the geeks/dorks I see don't actually make very good grades, they just talk about archaic stuff that ordinary people don't talk about.

The study-hard/goodys are the (often naive) kids who study super hard (often when there is no need to), walk with an air of superiority, and are usually unable to hold a regular conversation. Another trait I've sometimes observed is that they'll be the president of a club but won't actually do things that the club condones unless they are doing it for the club (like working with mentally handicapped children), as in they won't associate with them if they're on their own/just with their friends. In other words, everything they do is done to pad their resume and to try to make themselves look better, and as a result you'll find that they have no real substance.

Whether or not you fit into that group is up to you to determine, because I don't know you.

There's a difference between the study-hards and the geeks/dorks. Most of the geeks/dorks I see don't actually make very good grades, they just talk about archaic stuff that ordinary people don't talk about.

The study-hard/goodys are the (often naive) kids who study super hard (often when there is no need to), walk with an air of superiority, and are usually unable to hold a regular conversation. Another trait I've sometimes observed is that they'll be the president of a club but won't actually do things that the club condones unless they are doing it for the club (like working with mentally handicapped children), as in they won't associate with them if they're on their own/just with their friends. In other words, everything they do is done to pad their resume and to try to make themselves look better, and as a result you'll find that they have no real substance.

Whether or not you fit into that group is up to you to determine, because I don't know you.

Well from your description , i don't fit your definition cause I can hold a conversation and I don't have an air of superiority hmmm

I don't mind hanging out with different kind of people. I can can talk different topics with different people.

I don't know. Things shouldn't be so complicated in college either. Just talk to many people and get to know them.

For example, you talk about videos games with nerdy people. I like to play games. You talk about girls with football guys who like to party around. Yes, I can get updated information about who is free. You talk about food with some girls or guys who like to cook. So we can share receipts. You talk about music with some music freak.

Different people have different information. It's fun to communicate with many people. :)

Just relax and have fun in college.

Dr. Tennisball80 recommends take Chill 250,000 mg perday for three times. Talk to your family physician regarding the appropriate usage of chill pills.

chill_pill.jpg

Last edited:
No offense, but welcome to life. In college it only gets worse and worse. People are far more gunnerish. i.e. desperate to do anything at any cost just for a grade even if the don't retain things at all. Desperate to put every little thing on amcas. few go to college just to learn. most go to learn a trade or skill to get a job and get money.

That is true , I'm going to learn , but in the end hope to better my future income too .

You know you mentioned to extremes: the nerds and the jocks. But the jocks and party people are not necessarily just animal partiers with nothing to offer about life.

I graduated HS in 2001. So I was there from 1998 fall to spring 2001. In my 4 years in high school, I went to a high school with some of the most diversified groups I ever saw in my home town. We had Haitians, Bahamians, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, El Salvadorians, other latino groups. We had Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indians, regular black americans, white americans, and even people from the arab world i.e. Palestinians.

I'm sure there were other groups.

there was not a 2 group classification but classifications of people who hung out with groups that fit them ethnically or in terms of their personal goals, interests, and beliefs.

We had IB cliques, we had cliques for AP students, we had cliques for cheer leaders and football players i.e. the popular crowds, we had other lesser known cliques as well like the kids who were into wiccan stuff or the gay people group.

What I saw was that there is always this stereotype that those who go to the parties are just partying and cheating all the time in general society but at my school some of the smartest kids i.e. AP kids were actually the popular crowd kids who were also cheer leaders, participated in service organizations doing volunteer work, and did a range of other activities. Some of them are now pretty successful with their career paths as speech pathologists or other fields. Not all chose to do hardcore jobs like medicine because of family related issues and being women who wanted time for their kids and hence went into things like teaching instead. But they are happier then several people I know who were intelligent but lacking social skills and lacking the ability to look beyond stereotypes.

Meanwhile some of the kids who started off in IB programs or other programs are still struggling to get where they want to be or failed miserably later in life.

Being a nerd doesn't makeyou better and the OP sounds a bit uppity in making it out like musical theatre is better then going to a party or two. My brother once told me recently that he learned how to do small talk with people from his years going to bars. It taught him a lot about how to talk to people when he came across different sorts of people. Before that he was the Class A nerd who had his head stuck in books only.

That's basically what I was getting at, there's no person alike to make a general statement about . That's one diverse school you were in, but that's also how the world truly is too .

I don't fit any one category , I fit many.

Agreed. when I was in HS I knew quite a few people but had a small group. but in college I really got to know all kinds of people and they all have taught me so much about life. I don't think I'd have it any other way.

I agree with your post about finding a bit of something in everyone that you can relate to and making conversation from there.

The best doctors are people who can do such. i.e. people who can find a way to empathize with their different patients as well as competently treat them.

Yes because it builds a strong foundation and relationships with them . I never let my mind go limited to what I see before me , I always keep in mind there's more somewhere waiting for me to find it or out to find me . I must say there's an advantage to getting to know so many cultures of people and even their lifestyle differences . I do believe what starts off as a difference can become quite common with one another if you are open minded , and none judgmental . :)

It's almost like 5 types of desserts , they all have different names and even tastes and how they were made but at the end of the day they all have something or things in common . They're sweet , or a type of food. People are like that , you grow up differently , you sound and look different , you may even act different but what we want , need , and strive for can become quite common in itself . Goals , love , a sense of belonging those are just a few we all want . Even if how you approach to getting them is different of course .

Being a nerd doesn't makeyou better and the OP sounds a bit uppity in making it out like musical theatre is better then going to a party or two. My brother once told me recently that he learned how to do small talk with people from his years going to bars. It taught him a lot about how to talk to people when he came across different sorts of people. Before that he was the Class A nerd who had his head stuck in books only.

I actually believe I mentioned about 5 times that I'd rather have someone who can do both, instead of either one or the other. However, this is impossible in my high school. When I suggest to my "studious" friends that we could attend a party or see a play, they look at me like I'm out of my mind. And the sad part is, they'd probably enjoy both...

Of course, if you suggest I just join the "party people," this is again practically impossible, because my high school is small enough that EVERYONE knows I'm a "nerd." I am not happy with this limited classification, and just wanted to know that it's possible to break out of it in college.

It's normal to focus on getting a job out of college, but it's insane to have no other motivation or passion. Take a look at music or theater students in high school for example--one trend I see is that all of them love what they do (not just for their resumes) and the focus on grades is much much less. Compare this to science students, who care almost exclusively about grades, to the point of not caring about what it is they're learning. If grades didn't matter, most of them wouldn't do a damn thing. I can't for the life of me understand why you condone this. I can't stand it.

Compare this to science students, who care almost exclusively about grades, to the point of not caring about what it is they're learning. If grades didn't matter, most of them wouldn't do a damn thing. I can't for the life of me understand why you condone this. I can't stand it.

I'm not really sure why this bothers anyone. Just worry about yourself, it'll make your life much easier.

Overall,none of us can change or control another's actions or how they behave,what they like etc .

The best advice ever spoken. you can only change yourself and not anyone else. you can't change your significant other, your parents, your siblings, your other family members, your friends, your peers. you can only have true power over your own actions so what sense is there worrying about the actions of others?

I understand that I can only ever control myself, I really do, but this is the sort of behavior that makes me question human beings in general. How can it not bother me? It's everywhere, it seems.

Not to say everyone is like that and this is the reason it is encouraged that you major in something you enjoy instead of something that you think will prepare you for med school. But yes people are like that and it will only get worse as you move on up in life. It doesn't get any better the older you grow. you see people who will kiss butt to people just to get ahead, people who will play the game they think will get them promotions, people who will do whatever it takes to get the grades for med school admissions, people who will do whatever gunnerish things it takes to get the grades and great evaluations for residency so they can have the highest rank and get AOA or get great evals from attendings so they can get into the residency of their choice.

But can't everyone else see through their pathetic attempts? Has society become so plastic we can't tell the fake from the real thing?

Some of the things I saw in my time at USF: students cheating via old tests, cheating via cheat sheets that they hid from professors or off of each other, people taking quizzes for other people and signing them off cuz they knew the social security numbers of these people which were then used instead of U#s. People who didn't really volunteer and then at the last minute randomly started volunteering and sending updates to game the admissions office even though they were just doing it for that purpose. Someone even plagiarized off someone's amcas an activity she didn't do and copied word per word what this other person did. Another person even plagiarized off someone's PS.

:eek: Absolutely ridiculous. But surely not everyone is like this? There are normal people with my mindframe in college, as well, who only do what makes sense instead of solely playing admissions games?

The interview is usually pretty good at that.

And from what I've read, alienating yourself as a gunner MSIII onward is only going to bite you in the ass as everyone else lets you sink on your own. Could be wrong, but considering medicine is a team effort, it adds up.

The interview is usually pretty good at that.

And from what I've read, alienating yourself as a gunner MSIII onward is only going to bite you in the ass as everyone else lets you sink on your own. Could be wrong, but considering medicine is a team effort, it adds up.

Haha, I'll bet. I can't imagine anyone really liking people with that nature, unless they are the same way. And we are quite similar, Crazyday!

The best advice ever spoken. you can only change yourself and not anyone else. you can't change your significant other, your parents, your siblings, your other family members, your friends, your peers. you can only have true power over your own actions so what sense is there worrying about the actions of others?

People are not as curious because sadly the system pushes us into this get the grade to show we deserve a spot in what we really are curious about: the human body/medicine. The system pushes us to do certain things that we may not normally do. So yes there will always be those who are out to just play the game and not necessarily care for the subject because they know they won't use it again.

Not to say everyone is like that and this is the reason it is encouraged that you major in something you enjoy instead of something that you think will prepare you for med school. But yes people are like that and it will only get worse as you move on up in life. It doesn't get any better the older you grow. you see people who will kiss butt to people just to get ahead, people who will play the game they think will get them promotions, people who will do whatever it takes to get the grades for med school admissions, people who will do whatever gunnerish things it takes to get the grades and great evaluations for residency so they can have the highest rank and get AOA or get great evals from attendings so they can get into the residency of their choice.

it is a fact of life.

Some of the things I saw in my time at USF: students cheating via old tests, cheating via cheat sheets that they hid from professors or off of each other, people taking quizzes for other people and signing them off cuz they knew the social security numbers of these people which were then used instead of U#s. People who didn't really volunteer and then at the last minute randomly started volunteering and sending updates to game the admissions office even though they were just doing it for that purpose. Someone even plagiarized off someone's amcas an activity she didn't do and copied word per word what this other person did. Another person even plagiarized off someone's PS.

SHADY PEOPLE = FACT OF LIFE! Sad but true.

In medical school I've heard of people who don't even know common courtesy and who won't help you because they want to be higher ranked then you. i'm sure residency has its gunners who are gunning for chief resident positions.

its in law and business and in all other fields as well. someone on here said they know of people who used to rip pages out of law books in the library so no one could have access to them. its like that.

This is why the philosophy prescribed above of live for yourself, worry about yourself and do what you need to do for you is the best to suscribe to.

Well said . Unfortunately there are people like that . I am one of those types who look out for myself to strive for what I am going for but not do the things you listed there above . It's a matter of ethics and morals for me . I believe to do such things will come back and bite you right square in the rump , moreover , it's just not right . It's all about choice in a way of how you go about getting ahead , and what you consider a matter of survival to meet your goals. There's more better and honest ways but some choose not to take such a path . Nothing any of us can control.

Well said . Unfortunately there are people like that . I am one of those types who look out for myself to strive for what I am going for but not do the things you listed there above . It's a matter of ethics and morals for me . I believe to do such things will come back and bite you right square in the rump , moreover , it's just not right . It's all about choice in a way of how you go about getting ahead , and what you consider a matter of survival to meet your goals. There's more better and honest ways but some choose not to take such a path . Nothing any of us can control.
Noble

No offense, but I hate students who just study for grades, and unfortunately this seems to incorporate most pre-meds. Oddly enough, I find that in some subjects, people actually study just because they love learning the stuff, but I haven't found this to be true in any of my science courses. The students COMPLAIN all the time, hardly ever think for themselves, and CHEAT at insane levels, and I hate it. Is there a chance of finding a social group with ideals similar to mine in college? If so, where?!

In high school, there's either the educated grade-grubbing student or the lazy, party-all-day student. Where are the students who attend plays and visit museums, engage in some sports, study and do well, and still have time for less mentally-intensive fun?

Of course there is. In all subjects there will be people that study because they love learning about it and people that study just to earn the grade. In my experience, as you get in to the upper level courses specific to your major you will find people that study because they truly want to learn about the subject. When you get to this poin in your education it will be a blast! Take myself for example, in classes like ochem, physics, gen chem, etc I studied because I was told that I needed these courses to apply ot med school. If it wasnt for that then I wouldnt have taken any of them because i dont find them interesting. Altho I did okay in the classes, I wasn't having a good time. In contrast, I absolutely loved every minute of every class my junior and senior year because I chose the courses that I wanted to take, I was taking upper level courses in my major, and taking other elective that I actually had a passion for. I wasnt studying to get a grade or because someone told me i had to take the class. INstead, I was studying because i loved the subjects, and there were a lot of people that felt the same way in those types of classes. Its a great feeling and thats when school is really fun!

*didn't read the whole thing, sorry... But, here is my advice.

You shouldn't worry so much about your first year as a college student. In fact, you should want someone who is a little different than you. College is about meeting new people and accepting them for who they are. Society is so full of different people and college is just one of the steps you take to realize that. It is going to be a lot different from your usual high school environment where you pretty much know everyone since birth.

I advise you to stick with honesty on your survey and look forward to whoever becomes your room mate. They may actually be thinking the same thing about you. Just consider their feelings when you tell them about your situation and you may start developing a strong room mate relationship.

There is always a way around these social problems. Use college as a time to grow and learn how to start coping with differences. Hope this helps!

PS. Don't forget to consider that first time impressions don't really matter in this case. Just relax and be yourself.