I need to find a speciality...

DreamToBeADoctor

Reaction score
I don't know what type of Doctor to become. Can some of you help me decide?

I want to have time to live my own life (good lifestyle) and a high salary like a dermatologist but not so competitive so my chances of becoming it will actually happen. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what type of Doctor to become. Can some of you help me decide?

I want to have time to live my own life (good lifestyle) and a high salary like a dermatologist but not so competitive so my chances of becoming it will actually happen. Thanks!
Are you out of high school yet?

Reactions: 3 users
LOL i am in my third year of medical school and I do not know either.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Start worrying about that during third year of medical school. Even “picking” a speaclity before med school you are highly likely to change your mind six times before you hit your first rotation

Reactions: 1 users
Be an osteopath :D

Reactions: 1 user
Start worrying about that during third year of medical school. Even “picking” a speaclity before med school you are highly likely to change your mind six times before you hit your first rotation

But to be honest I feel like if I chose a specialty early on then I’ll actually have motivation to work hard. Because if I don’t then idk... kinda lose motivation to be a doctor. In the third year do you like go to the hospital and see everyone’s specialties? Is that when people decide? How can I change the mindset right now that I have to chose early on?

Edit: and is it ok if I have a few different specialties in my mind and apply for all of them for residency then chose one?

LOL i am in my third year of medical school and I do not know either.

When do most people decide? When should I decide? I feel like if I know what type of doctor I want to become then I’ll have motivation to work for that. But right now it’s hard to work hard just to be a “doctor” because there so many different types.

Edit: and is it ok if I have a few different specialties in my mind and apply for all of them for residency then chose one?

You have to be several years into medical school before this matters. Focusing on it now will only distract from what you should be doing now.

When do most people decide?
Usually at some point between starting med school and up until when they submit their rank list for residency match. And in some instances may even switch residencies after they start or go back and change fields if unhappy.

When should I decide?
During med school

I feel like if I know what type of doctor I want to become then I’ll have motivation to work for that. But right now it’s hard to work hard just to be a “doctor” because there so many different types.
. It’ll be hard work regardless and there’s SOO much time and variables between where you’re at now and when you actually have to decide that I wouldn’t consider this as part of your equation.

No

is it ok if I have a few different specialties in my mind and apply for all of them for residency then chose one?
One applies for residencies toward the beginning of the fourth year of med school. Some applicants do apply for two specialties, but that means more specialty-specific letters of recommendation, added extracurriculars so your application will appeal to the directors of both types of residency programs, more expense to travel to additional interviews, etc. You still have to rank the programs in order of your preference, and whichever you match into, you are obliged to enter. You can't change your mind and move to another program for a year.