How to gain experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onafarm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year undergraduate who has no experience in pharmacy. This looks really bad when I apply to pharmacy school. Most of the time I'm idle, so getting a job as a pharmacy technician would be nice. Can someone greatly walk me through the process of getting a job? I live in Georgia if that helps.

What I do know:
1. I have to get licensed (which is basically an online application with a $100 fee) and it takes roughly a month.
2. After licensed, I can start applying.

Any other information would be fantastic!

Members don't see this ad.

Literally what you stated is how to do it. If you wish to top it off, go to your school / city public library and study their latest PTCB studyguide booklets (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board exam). This is different than state certification which gets your fingerprint and a background check.

Passing your PTCB exam means your nationally certified as a tech that equates to higher wages and meets minimal requirements should you choose outpatient work in a hospital.

Side-note: Majority of Pharmacy students never set foot in a pharmacy (I never include shadowing...different experience when you have to work as a tech). Some that do work as a tech turn away from the career.

Really, thats how you get licensed? Its a little different here in Florida where you have to take a class for a couple of months.
But technically you can start working in the pharmacy as a cashier right now if there are openings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another pathway is for you to go to local hospital and engage their pharmacy director. Ask for a job or volunteer if there is no current openings.
This way, you will be in position to move up and impress pharmacy school on application.

The down side: loss wage.

Another pathway is for you to go to local hospital and engage their pharmacy director. Ask for a job or volunteer if there is no current openings.
This way, you will be in position to move up and impress pharmacy school on application.

The down side: loss wage.
That’s what I did, I went to my local Hospital and started to volunteer in the pharmacy department, after 3 months they hired me, also with that experience I got accepted to my number one Pharmacy school!