how to get a pre-med related job in california?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedbarista

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So I'm a freshman and I currently work as a barista part-time and also have a part-time research internship, and as much as I like being a barista (lol my username), I think it's time to find a job related to what I want to do with my life. I've read about becoming an EMT/CNA/MA/PCT/ED tech but all of those things require certifications, and while it would be great to get some sort of certification, I just don't have the money to pay for a course right now and can't really take time off of working to go do a class on top of school for 9 months. I don't know if this affects things, but I live in California (LA area!) and there just doesn't seem to be any medical related jobs that don't require some classes/training beforehand. Am I missing something?? How can I find these things?
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Become a scribe, I doubt that requires any certification training.

Have you tried the SDN Activity Finder? Obviously any paid job involving touching patients generally will require a certification in advance, so that's something you should consider in the end. You are in the Los Angeles area; there are definitely opportunities available.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can try to be a scribe. If you won't be taking summer classes, you can try to get a certificate/training to be an EMT, CNA etc then. If you are a freshman, you don't have to be in a big rush to do it now. Phlebotomy is an option too.

Reactions: 1 users
In CA a certification isn’t necessary to work as a medical assistant.