How to get good LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benlikeslizards

Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm in a situation where I want to apply this next Summer and I have most of my stats up to snuff, but I've never been good at getting to know my professors super well, even the PI that is in charge of the lab I work at, I even took Biochem from her and we still don't know each other very well. I am on track to publish in her lab but she just isn't very involved in our particular research group of undergrads and a graduate student. It's not like I don't know how to talk to professors, it just feels wierd when I'm literally trying to spend time with professors to get them to like me/think I'm smart or something, it feels disingenuous. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to get them to like you or make them think you are smart. You called it 'disingenuous' yourself.

Well, be genuine. Whenever you talk to your PI/professors, you don't have to impress them. You just want to get to know them and have them get to know you. Nothing ingenuous about that. Just share something about yourself that is somewhat relevant to the topic, or even better, ask them about their experience in the topic/undergrad. Was biochem hard for you too? What made you want to pursue biochem/chem/physics/etc.? I know I want to pursue medicine, but how did you know that you wanted to do this for the rest of your life?

Once you get the ball rolling, there will be ample opportunities for you to talk about yourself too. Obviously, your performance in class and in the lab will speak loudly, but those little efforts to get to know them as well as telling them about yourself will provide them with much more context to write about in your recommendation letter.

I totally understand. I can't stand the feeling of being disingenuous or brown nosing. I got my LOR's by constantly participating in class from day one and asking genuine questions about material after class. By the end of the semester, I had a good feel for the professor and knew whether they would be willing to write me a LOR or not. It was honestly that simple. Also, I was an A student so that helped.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi SDN,

I'm in a situation where I want to apply this next Summer and I have most of my stats up to snuff, but I've never been good at getting to know my professors super well, even the PI that is in charge of the lab I work at, I even took Biochem from her and we still don't know each other very well. I am on track to publish in her lab but she just isn't very involved in our particular research group of undergrads and a graduate student. It's not like I don't know how to talk to professors, it just feels wierd when I'm literally trying to spend time with professors to get them to like me/think I'm smart or something, it feels disingenuous. Any tips?
if you are in her lab and her class and participating actively, she will notice. When time comes for LOR she may seek grad student input. Occasionally some faculty volunteer to write LORs without asking.

Reactions: 2 users