Taking An Additional Gap Year: Should I Get New LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainTops

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a graduating senior who was initially planning on taking only 1 gap year and applying this current 2023-2024 cycle. That being said, I've come to the decision to take an additional (2nd) gap year which means I will apply next cycle. Granted that I initially wanted to apply this cycle, I've gotten most of my recommendation letters needed for my university's committee interview (they require 6 total, and I have gotten 5).

Would I need to update my letters of recommendation (specifically their dates) for the 2024-2025 cycle?

The 5 letters are dated between September 2022-April 2023. Of the 5, 3 are professors, 2 are past employers, and my 6th one which to reiterate I can get in 2024 as it has not been submitted to my pre-health office as yet will actually be the doctor I had shadowed during undergrad, but also will be her medical assistant during my gap years. So it will be a nice update letter with a 2024 time stamp on my gap year growth ideally.

I believe the 5 letters are very strong and effective so ideally, I would love to keep them. But not sure if med schools see letters dated a yr earlier as not ideal/a red flag, and I'm not sure if my writers would be willing to re-date letters for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would get them redone with new dates and get one or two letters over the next year from an activity you will include on your application.

My letter writers were open to updating my letters two years after they wrote them.

Status
Not open for further replies.