How to get into 911 ambulance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted988749

I just got my EMT-B license and ultimately I want to do paid 911 ambulance but I don't have a drivers license yet which will probably take around a month. Is working as a volunteer firefighter/ems in my local fire department a good start? I have this specific company I want to work for since it's very close to my university. Would it be appropriate to ask them if I could ride along as an assistant until I get my drivers license? If anyone has any other advice, that would be appreciated too.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a drivers license yet which will probably take around a month.

Good, that’s definitely necessary

Is working as a volunteer firefighter/ems in my local fire department a good start?

Yep! That’s a good start. Work on getting your practical skills and assessments down-pat.

Go to the website for the company you’re interested in and check if they have any additional certification requirements. Many 911-only places look for folks with a couple years volunteer experience - which could be tough to get as a premed.

As an alternative to 911 EMS, you could check out some non-emergent transport places. It’s not as good as 911 for admissions purposes, but it helps develop some soft skills. If you go the extra mile, you can get a pretty meaningful experience out of doing dialysis or nursing home transports. It will also be paid, and probably bolster your application to 911 places (presuming you continue your 911 volunteering).

Another great alternative is ER Tech. This generally requires the EMT certification and is probably very good for admissions. You’d probably need some extra carts (like phlebotomy), so I would check out job boards and see what they’re looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certain fire departments will pay you if you volunteer for them for awhile, YMMV. Thats one of the better places to go if you want emergency only 911 calls, as most private EMS places are going to take NETs; some more than others so that they can keep the lights on. Keep in mind, that even if you work for an emergency only service, you will find out that plenty of people call 911 for non-emergency reasons. As stated earlier, you'll likely find paid EMS jobs as an abundant option; but they'll probably be a NET service with a few emergency runs here and there; this is a burnout job, worse than emergency only IMO but if you keep stick with it, more power to you I suppose. Overall, I think a fire department is a great way to get EMS exposure, but fire/EMS services are a strange mix that probably wouldn't be mixed in the way they are if EMS wasn't a job created 50 years ago. You'll see a lot of burnout, a lot of good and bad calls, and you'll be expected to perform fire service duties (most places require that which shouldn't be a shock, its a fire department), so be aware of that since most medical school applicants aren't exactly the same personality as firefighters (its a specific culture).

Reactions: 1 user
Don't misunderstand EMT-B vs paramedics and especially firefighters (though actually many firefighters are paramedics, at least in my area). You can definitely become a volunteer as an EMT (which according to LizzyM is a good thing given that you will be responding to 911 calls), but I don't think you want to spend additional 1-2 years of (somewhat expensive) training to become a paramedic or a firefighter to do it for free just for medical schools app. If you already have NREMT paramedic license, then go for it if you really want it.

Before opening the thread, I thought this post was asking how one physically enters an ambulance lmao
Flat on your back in a neck brace...at least for me last time

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Don't misunderstand EMT-B vs paramedics and especially firefighters (though actually many firefighters are paramedics, at least in my area). You can definitely become a volunteer as an EMT (which according to LizzyM is a good thing given that you will be responding to 911 calls), but I don't think you want to spend additional 1-2 years of (somewhat expensive) training to become a paramedic or a firefighter to do it for free just for medical schools app. If you already have NREMT paramedic license, then go for it if you really want it.
Agree on the medic part; definitely over the top if your end goal is med school. The firefighter aspect though isn't a bad idea though as the training (at least in my state) is free and only takes a few months of easy classes (it takes about 150 hours of course work to become an interior firefighter). If you're interested in being of use in a fire department if thats where you choose to do EMS, becoming a firefighter shouldn't hurt and was brought up at interviews I attended.

The answer is mostly dependant on how EMS is structured in your area. In my state, almost all 911 EMS agencies are public third service (meaning municipally ran and not integrated with FD) with a few private hospital-based agencies. I started out volunteering at a local third service agency and later moved to full-time after graduation. Be mindful that part-time may not be an option as you may have to complete an academy to be released to work within the organization. I'm fortunate to be at a high volume 911 system with many like-minded folk, so far 5 people from my 50 person academy have moved on to medical school, with many more going the PA route.

By " I have this specific company I want to work for..." are you referring to a for-profit private EMS agency, or a fire engine company? If the latter, it's doubtful you'll have much say as to station you are ultimately assigned to.

Agree on the medic part; definitely over the top if your end goal is med school. The firefighter aspect though isn't a bad idea though as the training (at least in my state) is free and only takes a few months of easy classes (it takes about 150 hours of course work to become an interior firefighter). If you're interested in being of use in a fire department if thats where you choose to do EMS, becoming a firefighter shouldn't hurt and was brought up at interviews I attended.
They did offer me firefighting 1 class which could happen in the future. I'm not sure if I want to do it since I start just wanting to do ambulance and it seems like a lot of time commitment. Would you recommend it?

At least in California you need about 6 months of IFT work before you can be moved to 911. They want you to be familiar with the county protocols and roads so it is unlikely for someone to jump straight into the 911 system.
like others have said, get your drivers license first then your ambulance license because most place will not hire you until you have that.

At least in California you need about 6 months of IFT work before you can be moved to 911. They want you to be familiar with the county protocols and roads so it is unlikely for someone to jump straight into the 911 system.
like others have said, get your drivers license first then your ambulance license because most place will not hire you until you have that.
Do volunteers have to take civil service exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
They did offer me firefighting 1 class which could happen in the future. I'm not sure if I want to do it since I start just wanting to do ambulance and it seems like a lot of time commitment. Would you recommend it?
Don’t bother with FF1, what kind of area do you live in? Urban/suburban/rural?

Not all places require you to have a driver’s license. I worked for my university ambulance service when I was in undergrad and they let folks without a drivers license work in the trucks.
For insurance purposes they probably won’t let a new driver drive anyways. So it’s worth just going to talk to the place you are interested in and find out what their requirements are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's honestly going to be difficult to give you a good answer because literally every EMS agency is different. In my area, we have both volunteer and paid EMTs, paid paramedics, paid and volunteer firefighters, paid private ambulance agencies, etc (I am also in a suburban area). In the county next to us, they have a combined fire/rescue station with exclusively volunteer members. The best thing that you can do is to go to the agency in your area and do a ridealong. Those are designed to give you insight into all of the questions that you have here and I think you'll be able to get a better feel for if this is something you really want to do:) Working as a first responder is good for a resume, but I don't think it's worth it if you don't genuinely enjoy it.

Another thing - you might want to give yourself some time to get comfortable driving a car before jumping into driving ambulances/fire trucks emergently lol. I'm not sure how relaxed you feel behind the wheel right now, but I know I was definitely a nervous driver when I first got my driver's license and you don't really have time for that when you're trying to fit a fire truck down a narrow road or between two split lanes of traffic.

EMS is definitely a commitment, and not just in regards to the time that you'll spend actually working. I think what you've planned to do now sounds like a good start, but definitely schedule a ridealong to learn more about the agency! I can almost guarantee that if you'll be on a rescue squad near a college, you'll be working with a bunch of pre-med and/or medical students (esp. if it's a volunteer agency) who can probably answer a lot of your questions really well.

Reactions: 1 users
It's honestly going to be difficult to give you a good answer because literally every EMS agency is different. In my area, we have both volunteer and paid EMTs, paid paramedics, paid and volunteer firefighters, paid private ambulance agencies, etc (I am also in a suburban area). In the county next to us, they have a combined fire/rescue station with exclusively volunteer members. The best thing that you can do is to go to the agency in your area and do a ridealong. Those are designed to give you insight into all of the questions that you have here and I think you'll be able to get a better feel for if this is something you really want to do:) Working as a first responder is good for a resume, but I don't think it's worth it if you don't genuinely enjoy it.

Another thing - you might want to give yourself some time to get comfortable driving a car before jumping into driving ambulances/fire trucks emergently lol. I'm not sure how relaxed you feel behind the wheel right now, but I know I was definitely a nervous driver when I first got my driver's license and you don't really have time for that when you're trying to fit a fire truck down a narrow road or between two split lanes of traffic.

EMS is definitely a commitment, and not just in regards to the time that you'll spend actually working. I think what you've planned to do now sounds like a good start, but definitely schedule a ridealong to learn more about the agency! I can almost guarantee that if you'll be on a rescue squad near a college, you'll be working with a bunch of pre-med and/or medical students (esp. if it's a volunteer agency) who can probably answer a lot of your questions really well.
Thank you for taking the time to write this detail advice. I thought about asking the place I want to work for when I get my license for ride alongs, but that would mean bringing attention to the fact that I don't have a drivers license. I've taken driving classes and drove my dad's car a few times in the summer and I think I'm pretty good comfortable in driving but didn't take my road test since I just turned 18. Do you have any advice on how I should approach the ambulance company to eventually work for them?

If you're interested in it, I can't see it hurting. IMO, it would serve to differentiate you. Theres like 30 EMTs in my class, but only a couple worked for the fire service. Good way to volunteer and help the community

In PA, theres no such rule. I worked in EMS for about a year and never set foot in an IFT station.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're interested in it, I can't see it hurting. IMO, it would serve to differentiate you. Theres like 30 EMTs in my class, but only a couple worked for the fire service. Good way to volunteer and help the community
FF is a complicated thing for me. Would my time in the fire station not on call be counted as hours? I know FF is probably not considered clinical exp, but there is also some EMS in it, so I would have to split it?

FF is a complicated thing for me. Would my time in the fire station not on call be counted as hours? I know FF is probably not considered clinical exp, but there is also some EMS in it, so I would have to split it?
Your hours at the fire station would not be counted as hours, unless if you are at the fire station to respond to EMS calls on the ambulance. I can sit here all day and talk about how FFs (with the exception of FF/EMTs, or FF/medics) who are on scene as a FF on the engine do NOT do any clinical work- the closest thing to clinical those FFs do would be helping with lifting for EMS on scene (on some cardiac arrests/trauma codes, I've had FFs do CPR, but that's few and far in between). Absolutely no hate on FFs, all first responders have an important job, as a FF on an engine, I can't imagine any of your calls will involve anything remotely clinical

For example- I am a volunteer EMT at a local fire department, but I am only there for EMS calls. Therefore I count my hours towards clinical because I am there for emergency medical calls, and to treat my patients. So if that is what you mean as your time spent at the fire station, then sure those hours count.

If you want to do Fire 1 because you are interested, go for it. Don't do it because it will enhance your applications or count towards clinical hours.
I will echo what others have said, but it is different everywhere. Where I work, we have paid and volunteer EMTs. Most places want paid EMTs who have about 1-2 years of 911 experience. However, if you volunteer at a 911 agency and you are a good EMT/have a good reputation, they will hire you with less than 1-2 years of experience (we can hire consistent volunteers after a few months)

As for the driver's license, you do not need a driver's license to be a 911 EMT. AND if you are brand new to driving, I would not recommend driving an emergency vehicle- driving lights and sirens is EXTREMELY dangerous. You can ride as a second (aka the 2nd EMT in an EMS crew) without a driver's license, you will just always be the treating EMT and writing the charts (which newer EMTs will do regardless because you need to gain experience)

Also please stop calling it an "ambulance company" or "911 ambulance" its EMS- emergency medical services, call it an EMS company, "ambulance" companies are usually transport companies

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Your hours at the fire station would not be counted as hours, unless if you are at the fire station to respond to EMS calls on the ambulance. I can sit here all day and talk about how FFs (with the exception of FF/EMTs, or FF/medics) who are on scene as a FF on the engine do NOT do any clinical work- the closest thing to clinical those FFs do would be helping with lifting for EMS on scene (on some cardiac arrests/trauma codes, I've had FFs do CPR, but that's few and far in between). Absolutely no hate on FFs, all first responders have an important job, as a FF on an engine, I can't imagine any of your calls will involve anything remotely clinical

For example- I am a volunteer EMT at a local fire department, but I am only there for EMS calls. Therefore I count my hours towards clinical because I am there for emergency medical calls, and to treat my patients. So if that is what you mean as your time spent at the fire station, then sure those hours count.

If you want to do Fire 1 because you are interested, go for it. Don't do it because it will enhance your applications or count towards clinical hours.
I will echo what others have said, but it is different everywhere. Where I work, we have paid and volunteer EMTs. Most places want paid EMTs who have about 1-2 years of 911 experience. However, if you volunteer at a 911 agency and you are a good EMT/have a good reputation, they will hire you with less than 1-2 years of experience (we can hire consistent volunteers after a few months)

As for the driver's license, you do not need a driver's license to be a 911 EMT. AND if you are brand new to driving, I would not recommend driving an emergency vehicle- driving lights and sirens is EXTREMELY dangerous. You can ride as a second (aka the 2nd EMT in an EMS crew) without a driver's license, you will just always be the treating EMT and writing the charts (which newer EMTs will do regardless because you need to gain experience)

Also please stop calling it an "ambulance company" or "911 ambulance" its EMS- emergency medical services, call it an EMS company, "ambulance" companies are usually transport companies
So by this logic, does the down time for EMTs also not count towards clinical hours?

So by this logic, does the down time for EMTs also not count towards clinical hours?
you clearly didn't read any of that. I mean I guess if you take 1 call in a 12 hour shift as an EMT, it probably shouldn't count towards clinical time. But yes, it counts as clinical time, there's literally nothing clinical about being a FF and everything clinical about being an EMT. It seems like you do not know the difference between fire and EMS, EMS (a 911 EMT) is a healthcare provider who assesses, treats, and/or transports their patients, the fire department deals with calls surrounding fires (obviously), fire alarms, forced entry, lift assists, MVAs (cutting people out of cars, stabilizing vehicles, fluids on the roadway, etc), wires in the roadway, trees in the roadway, sometimes cardiac arrests.

Also I am not sure what the fixation on "clinical time", you don't need X amount of hours unless you are looking to go to PA school. I am assuming you want hands-on clinical experience and patient contact, so any hours you have as an EMT will count towards clinical hours.

Again, I think this is dependent on the area. In my county all FFs can administer epi, place patients on CPAP or Neb, perform a 12 lead, etc. all before we arrive on scene. The neighboring county requires their FFs to all be at the AEMT level, they can start lines and intubate.

Again, I think this is dependent on the area. In my county all FFs can administer epi, place patients on CPAP or Neb, perform a 12 lead, etc. all before we arrive on scene. The neighboring county requires their FFs to all be at the AEMT level, they can start lines and intubate.
ahh interesting! Very dependent on the area, FFs in my state don't even need to be CPR certified (once it expires after fire 1)

Thank you for taking the time to write this detail advice. I thought about asking the place I want to work for when I get my license for ride alongs, but that would mean bringing attention to the fact that I don't have a drivers license. I've taken driving classes and drove my dad's car a few times in the summer and I think I'm pretty good comfortable in driving but didn't take my road test since I just turned 18. Do you have any advice on how I should approach the ambulance company to eventually work for them?
I wouldn't be worried about bringing attention to the fact that you don't have a driver's license since it's inevitable that they'll eventually find out anyways, as you'll need your license before you can take the EVOC class (class to get your emergency vehicle license). If you just ask them about the process they go through for becoming an ambulance driver I'm sure that they'll be able to give you a good explanation about the requirements, likely without directly asking you about if you have your license.
Again - I would really take your time with becoming an ambulance driver. It takes a lot to stay calm when you're driving, especially when you have someone critical in back. Take your time with the process:)

As a former EMT I would not recommend trying to get a job on an ambulance unless you are a good driver. It's the biggest part of the job and you'll likely fail your training shifts unless you're decent at driving a large vehicle in emergency situations.

I would recommend trying to get a job as an ER tech or nursing assistant instead. Some hospitals will accept the EMT cert for those positions and you'll get a lot more clinical experience. If you're really interested in fire/EMS, go ahead and volunteer to get some experience and exposure.

Reactions: 2 users
Do volunteers have to take civil service exam?
excuse the late response. I have been trying to avoid SDN lately to not get application cycle anxiety :)
volunteers? do you mean ride alongs? most place do not require you to do anything other than reaching out to the company. Ride alongs are fun especially with 911, albeit it is only observations and you will not be directly interacting with patients.

excuse the late response. I have been trying to avoid SDN lately to not get application cycle anxiety :)
volunteers? do you mean ride alongs? most place do not require you to do anything other than reaching out to the company. Ride alongs are fun especially with 911, albeit it is only observations and you will not be directly interacting with patients.
Thanks, good luck with your cycle)

there are a substantial number of EMTs and paramedics who volunteer calls in their free time. Ride alongs in my experience have been primarily people who are interested in EMS but haven't gotten their certifications/are in the process of getting them. That may vary from place to place, but some places will absolutely let you take calls as a volunteer after you do some initial ride alongs to prove to them that you know what you're doing

Gaaaaah

My pet peeve was when jolley volley joe FF would give the pt w SOB a neb when their hr was 120 bp was >180 systolic, guy has massive jvd and a chf history.

Annnnd shocker they’re in severe pulmonary edema that you can’t miss. Gah

Happened at least once a week.

Gaaaaah

My pet peeve was when jolley volley joe FF would give the pt w SOB a neb when their hr was 120 bp was >180 systolic, guy has massive jvd and a chf history.

Annnnd shocker they’re in severe pulmonary edema that you can’t miss. Gah

Happened at least once a week.
:uhno::lame::wtf: NJ just approved bls to carry neb treatments and this is exactly my concern......lets try not to drown our patients and send them into flash pulmonary edema

:uhno::lame::wtf: NJ just approved bls to carry neb treatments and this is exactly my concern......lets try not to drown our patients and send them into flash pulmonary edema

I worked in NY where they at least had to call the ED before but they somehow got it wrong enough on the reg for the ED doc to say yes... because joe’s just gotta be heroes