How To Get Into Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sierra.s12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, currently I am a freshman in college, and I would like to apply to go to dental school. However, I truly don't know what to do or where to start on getting in. The dental schools I am looking at are NYU and UCLA. Since they are competitive schools, how can I best prepare myself on getting in? Here a somethings I am worried about:
- I am an Economics major: how can I fit all of the prerequisites on my schedule but also make sure I do not overload myself? Summer classes?
- I want to do something this summer for dental: should I volunteer at a hospital? Take summer classes?
- DAT exam: when should I start studying?
- Dental path: how do I know if becoming a dentist is the correct fit for me?
- Back up plan: If I don't get into dental school, how do I prepare a backup plan now and prepare for dental school?
- Prestige of undergraduate school: does prestige matter to dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Speak to your adviser. This is literally their job.
2. Get involved with the pre-dental club so you meet like-minded individuals who have the same goal.
3. Shadow
4. Take Dat after your third year if you wanna go straight to school after UG.
5. Your back up is your degree or you can get really any job after UG and reapply the next year.
6. Prestige means nothing. Grades/scores and extracurriculars do.
7. Unless you live in NYC, don't attend NYU. It's about the most expensive school in the US. Get the grades and scores you need in order to attend the cheapest program you can. This could potentially save you hundreds of thousands of dollars. literally.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello, currently I am a freshman in college, and I would like to apply to go to dental school. However, I truly don't know what to do or where to start on getting in. The dental schools I am looking at are NYU and UCLA. Since they are competitive schools, how can I best prepare myself on getting in? Here a somethings I am worried about:
- I am an Economics major: how can I fit all of the prerequisites on my schedule but also make sure I do not overload myself? Summer classes?
- I want to do something this summer for dental: should I volunteer at a hospital? Take summer classes?
- DAT exam: when should I start studying?
- Dental path: how do I know if becoming a dentist is the correct fit for me?
- Back up plan: If I don't get into dental school, how do I prepare a backup plan now and prepare for dental school?
- Prestige of undergraduate school: does prestige matter to dental schools?
1. You'll def have to do summer classes but unless you overload your summers you will likely have to take more classes than the average undergrad. Sorry, just the way things are. Personally, I recommend you switch to an easier non-STEM major to pad your GPA or throw the dice on a STEM degree in the bio field.
2. Take summer classes and shadow a dentist. Working as an assistant over the summer is even better
3. Depends on how good your foundations are. I at least recommend taking it junior year to avoid any unnecessary gap years
4. You won't until dental school, sadly. Assisting and being an actual dentist are entirely different worlds
5. You should have a backup before you even apply tbh. Don't be an idiot like me and gamble it all on getting in.
6. Debt matters. Prestige not so much. A certain level of prestige is expected for any dental school (accreditation) but after that MONEY. THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL ALWAYS WINS ALL THINGS CONSIDERED

Oh, and quick tip, actually talk to professors as an undergrad. You're a freshman so the world is your oyster. Make connections early, be proactive, focus on your studies, and your future will probably be bright.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The dental schools I am looking at are NYU

I am an Economics major
If you’re going to be relying on student loans, with your knowledge of economics, does it make sense to borrow $700,000+ (what it will be by the time you start) to land a job that will start you off at $120,000 to $140,000 on average?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users