How to get into Harvard/Wharton MBA after MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Harvard and Wharton MBA seem to have by far the best health care programs, but hypothetically, would the following be sufficient for a doctor to be accepted?

- top 20 medical school
- residency and fellowship from a top 5 program for a surgical specialty or famous affiliation (eg. Beth Israel Deaconess)
- college GPA: 3.7
- GMAT: 730
- started business with a few thousand revenue and demonstrated leadership in college but discontinued since starting medical school to mainly focus on research
- started medical school right after college, so no full-time business work experience
- can convince why need MBA for career goals
- early 30s with 0-2 years of work experience after training

What about Columbia, Chicago, or similar top programs? What are the best programs for health care business/entrepreneurship (not just hospital administration) beside Harvard and Wharton?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't you lose those precious surgical skills by doing an MBA for two years and not operating? As for entrepreneurship, time might be better spent starting and running a business than getting another piece of paper on the wall. My personal feeling is that MBA's are for middle managers. Above the MBA level, things get increasingly political. Take an accounting course first and see if you like it.

Wouldn't you lose those precious surgical skills by doing an MBA for two years and not operating? As for entrepreneurship, time might be better spent starting and running a business than getting another piece of paper on the wall. My personal feeling is that MBA's are for middle managers. Above the MBA level, things get increasingly political. Take an accounting course first and see if you like it.

I'm a bit curious. What exactly do you mean by things get increasingly political?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking forward to hopefully enroll in a medical school and then apply to MBA in another school during my first year of college. I am applying straight from college with strong extracurricular, theme, GPA, but not MCAT. I was wondering if anyone could have your perspective on the application process to top MBA programs from a mediocre medical school and anything I should be preparing for or expecting. Any information will be greatly appreciated.