How to get involved in procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do you guys get yourselves involved in doing some simple procedures?

Blood draws, NG tubes, foleys, etc....I need to get this stuff in....I am starting to get frustrated. I am not talking about anything out there....just some stuff we should all be doing....

ABG'S
Blood cultures,etc
Foley
NG tubes

What rotations have you done so far?

It's easier to get an opportunity to do things like ABGs, foley insertion, and NG tube insertion on things like surgery, OB, etc.

What rotations have you done so far?

It's easier to get an opportunity to do things like ABGs, foley insertion, and NG tube insertion on things like surgery, OB, etc.

I have psych, 8 weeks of surgery, and a radiology rotation left.....I think all the stuff I am complaining about I'll get to do in surgery

Members don't see this ad :)
I have psych, 8 weeks of surgery, and a radiology rotation left.....I think all the stuff I am complaining about I'll get to do in surgery
I did some I&Ds, NGs and tons of suturing on my ER rotations. Got any of those coming up? It's a good rotation to get procedures in...

I still need to do a Chest Tube, Central Line, Foley, ABGs, etc, so don't worry you're not the only one. I'm just holding out hope that I'll get some experience with these procedures as I further my clinical rotations...

I didn't do too many procedures as a 3rd year either....just a few blood draws on my outpt FP rotation and 2 NG tubes on surgery.

Surgery should give you some opportunities to put in NG tubes on the floor and insert some foleys (in the OR at least - just ask the nurses 1st as they will usually do it on their own). As far as blood draws and IV's....if the ancillary staff is good you shouldn't be doing many....but you can always ask to spend some time w/ phlebotomy/IV team on a free afternoon or before (shudder...) pre-rounding. As far as ABG's, chest tubes, paracentesis and other somewhat more advanced stuff.....you might get some opportunities on your 4th year medicine sub-I (depending on where you do it) or you may want to schedule an ICU rotation as an elective.

Hope this helps.

Blood draws, NG tubes, foleys, etc....I need to get this stuff in....I am starting to get frustrated. I am not talking about anything out there....just some stuff we should all be doing....

ABG'S
Blood cultures,etc
Foley
NG tubes

I did it this way: introduced myself to the nurses the very first day and said, "if there are any of X procedures, I want to do them." The nurses are excited because they don't have to do them and, as long as there isn't an emergency, they will let you do them.

ABG'S
Blood cultures,etc
Foley
NG tubes

Did you try asking?

All y'all are focusing on the wrong thing.

It's not what rotation you do these in, it's WHERE.

Spend an elective at a community hospital where you ARE the medical student. no one else there.

I did two electives at a rural hospital for that very reason and my log book has 22 subclavian, and 2 IJ's, 2 chest tubes, 1 paracentesis, 9 dental blocks and 11 intubations. (honk honk goes my own horn..)
And a lot of that was because other services were paging me saying "hey, are you the med student? Have you ever done a _______?"

Stop waiting in line behind interns and residents. Suck it up and go where noone else is.

All y'all are focusing on the wrong thing.

It's not what rotation you do these in, it's WHERE.

Spend an elective at a community hospital where you ARE the medical student. no one else there.

I did two electives at a rural hospital for that very reason and my log book has 22 subclavian, and 2 IJ's, 2 chest tubes, 1 paracentesis, 9 dental blocks and 11 intubations. (honk honk goes my own horn..)
And a lot of that was because other services were paging me saying "hey, are you the med student? Have you ever done a _______?"

Stop waiting in line behind interns and residents. Suck it up and go where noone else is.

Alright cool....I am going to be more aggressive on my surg rotation....have 8 weeks. I should get plenty of opportunities to do whatever I want.

You just have to be confident and have a clue when you are getting pimped. Stand up and let them know you want to do things. Ask to do things. Be interested in what they are doing. Be willing to stick it out from beginning to end with that patient in order to do the procedure if you need to.