tompharm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey guys I was wondering. I graduated about 5 years ago and got a pre-med degree. I think I satisfy all or most of the school entrance requirements. But I don't know how I am going to get LoR. What do you think I should do about that?

Jun 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey guys I was wondering. I graduated about 5 years ago and got a pre-med degree. I think I satisfy all or most of the school entrance requirements. But I don't know how I am going to get LoR. What do you think I should do about that?
I'm pretty sure all of the DO schools need a least one science professor LOR, some need more, so unless you kept in close contact with your previous professors I would recommend taking a science course at a university and getting a letter from the professor

drcollete

Queen of Caffeine
Mar 18, 2013
Somewhere southeast of Alaska
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe email your old professors to see if they remember you. That's what I did, and I was able to get 3 letters from science professors. I've been out of undergrad since 2010 and hadn't had a science class since 2008. It can't hurt to ask.

raymond33

5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, I was having the same problem too and I graduated few yrs ago. I emailed most of the DO schools to explain my situation, so far all the DO schools I applied to accept my manager who is a PhD as a reference (but do make sure he/she can comment on your academics). My advice to you is to email or call all the schools you are applying to! Good luck!

DE15C

Accepted Class of 2018!!!
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I believe most schools will consider you a non-traditional applicant. You should speak to the schools you want to apply to and inform them of your situation. Many will accept LOR's from employers or supervisors as a substitute for applicants who have been removed from school for some time. I think in most cases the admissions personnel will be happy to assist you and offer alternative solutions.