How to get started on own (undergrad) research project in lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronstudies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started helping running participants with a psychology lab on campus. I'm hoping to stick with this lab for a few years and take on my own research project at some point (over the summer, directed studies for course credit, or for my honours thesis) because I'm really interested in the area they study.

I've talked to some other undergrad students who have been in the lab for a while and they all say that you have to take 100% initiative in this particular lab, they never give anyone even small tasks to do so you have to volunteer to help someone or create your own project and just do it.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or share their own experiences on how to take on your own research project as an undergrad? I'm just not sure how to approach someone in the lab to get started, how much of the project I should have planned out in my head before I approach someone, and how to narrow down my research interests (I'm interested in way too many things).

Members don't see this ad.

Does the lab have graduate students? Will you be meeting with the PI periodically?

It would be great to have some ideas of your own regarding questions that you are interested in pursuing and present those to a grad student or the PI. Make it explicitly clear that you're interested in taking on your own project (not every student is). You likely won't be expected to have an awful lot planned out, but have some though as to background (why it's an important/interesting project), basic methods, hypotheses, etc. Your lab/PI will very clearly have aims on their grants or specific questions they need to answer -- and your interests will probably be far too broad or somewhat unrelated --, but you having initiative to understand the field is important and demonstrates a lot of interest (as opposed to having a project 'handed' to you).