How to get the most out of a research position and not to screw it up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Posters,

I just got a research position at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. I never thought I would get such a position. Let me tell you a liitle about myself. I just graduated from a public city university, not really a big state university, but just a small public university with a BA in biochemistry. While completing my undergrad I was also a volunteer research tech that basically harvested the organs of mice. Nothing really big. Then I applied for a research position at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. The lab I applied for studies inflammation, angiogenesis and remodeling during wound healing in cell culture andwild type and diabetic mice. Background in cell biology, molecular biology and genetics is required. Experiences and skills in cell culture, western blot, q-RT-PCR, flow cytometry, genotyping, and immunohistochemistry processing are desired. Which brings me to my dilema... I DONT KNOW JACK! The main Professor interviewing me asked if I have any research experience with cell culture, or if I ever breed mice and I said no. I told her that I was willing to work the entire summer full time and for free if I can learn vaulable research techniques and if possible get a publication out of it. The professor said that she would gladly include my name in any publication if I have good data and make a lot of contribution and she was willing to help me learn all the techniques in the lab. She printed me a copy of all the publications her lab has done. I really want to get the most out of this lab can anyone offer me some really good advice. My first day is Monday and I really dont want to screw it up. I have hopes that working in this research lab would might one day lead me to an MD/PHD position. I know that this is a very unlikely goal but, if you want to dream, you should dream big right? Also I wanted to mention that I will be the only undergraduate with a bachalors working the lab, everyone else would be medical student, or post-docs. Kinda scary right? Also really sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone currently been in your position (twice) i'd say just keep good notes. I hate having to ask the same question twice- and they hate it too. Also, be aware of your technique- clean up after yourself. it will go far and get noticed. its ok if you screw up in the beginning- they understand and are hopefully sympathetic.

congrats! like the above poster, i would say make sure you keep a good notebook. when you're being shown how to do something for the first time, write down every single detail. success in doing a lot of the techniques really depends on adopting all the little quirks that your PI or postdoc have learned over their training. all the basic molec bio/biochem techniques are simple on paper but to be reproducible really depends on how thorough you are and how much attention you pay to detail. anyway, relax! you seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself when in reality, your PI is well aware that undergrads don't learn anything technical in their classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. You'll probably have a notepad with you during the first few days or weeks. Take good notes, and include the details. It's the details that often matter, especially when it comes to cell culture work. I'm still an undergraduate, but have been working in a lab for awhile. Taking good notes is key because I've talked to the post-doc I work with and the MD/PhD student in my current lab about this- no one likes repeating themselves. Take their suggestions and use them. If you have a question, ask. It's better to ask then be confused later on. I think people appreciate it when you actively ask questions to clarify something or you're curious about something.

I also think it depends on who's teaching you, but always try and understand the reasoning and basis behind the techniques. The first lab I worked in, I was introduced to cell culture and western blotting but the basis behind all the different media, buffers, etc. was not explained to me very well and it made things a lot harder. I had to go Google things myself, which was fine, but Google isn't the same as someone explaining to you what each media is specifically for or what kind of buffer is used and why. So basically, if they don't already, always ask what the purpose of each step is or why you do this and that if you don't know already. The post-doc I work with now always explained to me the basic purpose of each step which made things a lot easier to understand.

I would also say be invested in your lab. Ask about projects, talk to the people in the lab about what they're working on, read up on papers, always be willing to learn something new, help out with any mundane tasks- pipette stocking, receiving orders, making media and solutions, etc. etc. etc. People notice when you do.

Anyways, have fun! You want to do well, but if you screw up, it's okay. People kind of expect it so it won't be the end of the world. Good luck! The research sounds great.

Come in early and leave late. And keeping a good notebook may or may not actually be helpful to lab depending on your position, but since so many people are horrid at keeping a notebook (or using it correctly - some people just pick one day a week to update and by the time its time to update can't remember what day what happened, miss observations etc) that it IS noticed if yours is not only detailed, but easy for someone not even in the lab to follow. I'm working on my own note taking style - it's fine for me but when someone else wants to look at my notes, it can be rambling/confusing, so like I say I'm working on it.

I don't think anyone notices that I often make up reagents/new ethanol/etc for general stock in lab. But, showing general enthusiasm is a good thing. Even if it's just so the more senior members can poke fun at you for it, in some cases.

Sounds like a cool focus. I think you'll be great if you consientious enough to post this. Best of success to you!