MD How to get to a 250 ish on step 1 from a 225 in 3 weeks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scaredaboutsteps

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just taken the NBME 17 and I got a 225 with 29 wrong I am very distraught right now because my exam is in 3 weeks and my goal is a 250.

I had one REALLY low line (with asterisk) and four other lines touching the borderline area in my score sheet but I don't know if improving on those can get me the 25 more points I need.

I would appreciate any realistic advice I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

I have just taken the NBME 17 and I got a 225 with 29 wrong I am very distraught right now because my exam is in 3 weeks and my goal is a 250.

I had one REALLY low line (with asterisk) and four other lines touching the borderline area in my score sheet but I don't know if improving on those can get me the 25 more points I need.

Focus on your weak spots in terms of what you didn't do as well in...take this week to read/review, whatever study material you were using. Review missed questions...then take a deep breath and try taking another nbme next week. See how you did then...if the same or slightly higher, take a day off, refresh your mind...then go back to reviewing and take another nbme the next week... hopefully it's somewhat better...but honestly just because you get one score on the practice exam, doesn't mean it'll be that on the real thing. While predictive, I had the experience of my last practice test and real score having at least a 15 pt difference, albeit my scores and goal were ~15-20 pts lower compared to yours. That being said, don't stress out....that's really the last thing you need...I'm relatively laid back but I've never been so stressed out...I literally got Gerd because of that darn exam. So just think positively and do your best. If you get close or hit your goal, that's great; if you don't, that's great too. As long as you do your best, that's all you can do. There's always step 2 CK, which I hear isn't nearly as bad as step 1. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Sleep 8-9 hrs., exercise daily, and only study for 10 hrs. Make sure you do all of UWORLD again in a week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Getting another 25+ in 3 wks might be difficult... Focus on your weak subjects (areas) and continue to do Uworld. That might get 10-15 point max. 235+ is respectable score.

People who score 250+ in that beast are smart and have a great test skill on top of that.

Reactions: 1 user
From what the internet has told me NBMEs under-estimate a bit so you're probably in the 230s. You just gotta crank until your test date and get relatively lucky with the questions you get asked. In my experience anyone can get a 240 if you know everything you should know. After that it's a combination of getting asked the minutia that you do know + getting lucky on interpretation/experimental questions.