What specialties allow you to work consecutively for a couple weeks and then get a couple weeks off? Looking for a certain type of schedule.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Konigstiger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a schedule that allows you to have consecutive weeks off in a row, specifically so that I could travel during the weeks that I have off.

IM hospitalist is one option, though I’m not sure that one week off would be enough considering travel to and from would probably kill two days out of the seven you have off. EM is the main option I’ve been considering since its shift work seems to make the most sense for this schedule, but for obvious job market reasons, I’d prefer something with a safer future outlook. The only other speciality I’m aware of that could potentially provide this schedule is trauma surgery with shift work, but I’m pretty sure I would despise my life during the five years of general surgery residency. And even as an attending, two consecutive weeks of being on trauma surgery would probably be brutal.

Are there any specialities I may have overlooked, or is my impression incorrect with any of the specialties above? Are there any other unorthodox schedules in other specialties that would allow you chunks of time off regularly? Telemedicine mixed with regular medicine, maybe? I’m willing to take a salary cut if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Radiology has 1 week on 2 weeks off gigs.
Can probably pull it off doing locums anesthesia as well.
Can probably craft that schedule in psych as well. Could also do tele psych while traveling. If you do private practice psych, you can create whatever schedule you want.

Reactions: 1 users
find the highest paying specialty that has robust locums need and then locums half the year

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like IM hospitalist could still be a good option. I don't know much about the job market but there are lots of jobs out there and going off a quick google search it looks like you could find a 14 on/14 off or even 7 on/14 off position. If you're flexible on salary or location you can probably find or work with groups to create a job that fits your needs.

Reactions: 1 user
There's also critical care as a fellowship, psych ED (through psych), neurohospitalist and telestroke jobs (through neuro) which could fit the bill, but becoming an IM hospitalist would get you out of residency quicker.

EM is by far the most flexible scheduling out of any specialties. I just had three weeks off because I only work 10-11 days a month so it didn’t require me to work super extra hard the other parts of the months.

Most hospitalists are 7 on 7 off, but I’m sure you could work two weeks on.

There are lots of other specialties that have shift work but a lot of them also have call which might mess with your plans.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind that the "7 on/7 off" schedule of a hospitalist job doesn't actually mean "you must work every other week." It typically means your contract expects you to work 26 weeks a year, and you can work less or more if you arrange it with a colleague.

My schedule for next year currently is 25 weeks on, but within that 11 weeks are back-to-back with at least one other week, so I have several two-week and several three-week breaks. And if I want more time off, I can trade any week with a colleague, or if I really want more time off, I can sacrifice a week's pay and give a week to a colleague, as someone would happily take it.

If that isn't enough time off, plenty of places will do 7 on/14 off. Or, you can do locums. Just keep in mind that taking a week off of work to travel is going to be an expensive vacation.

Reactions: 3 users
IM and EM definitely most suited to it. With locums you can make any specialty work though. You may not be able to find the 2on/2off thing, but could easily find the 1-2 months on, 1-2 months off. My burnout backup plan has always been locums 3-4 months a year and then sail the rest.

I’d put in a strong plug for finding a field you actually like apart from the travel freedom. The main reason is that most people find it much harder to travel so much as they get older. Just because you can manage so much travel doesn’t mean your friends can get away so easily, and obviously family adds another big wrinkle. If you absolutely love to travel alone I think it would work, but traveling with others gets more complicated when you have to deal with everyone else’s schedules. Nowadays even when I have a surprise weekday off, everyone else is still at work until 5!

So find a field you actually like. Do the locums and travel things for awhile and then if/when you want more of a home base, you’re doing something you like and that pays well.

Reactions: 2 users
I did a primary care residency and work part-time in the ED and part-time as a hospitalist. Shift work, set my own schedule, off when I need to be off. No call. Shifts are either 10 hours or 12 hours. Like someone else said, will also depend on your location and needs of the community. I work in the Southeast.

Hospital medicine

You can find jobs that are 2 wks on/off. If you want to work part time, you can also find 1 wk on and 3 wks off.