How to handle a rejection from school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not sure if they average...but I havent seen many schools that do that... I was heavily leaning towards the heavy regional bias

Then they literally just ripped you off $75. I'd say go proceed with the other schools. You want every chance you get.

Members don't see this ad.

I am but I feel like its a waste... ugh I am usually really tough-skinned but I am feeling SO devastated because I feel like this was THE easiest school

Members don't see this ad :)
I concur.

I'm more leaning towards that your MCAT scores are not good enough for BCOM. Not sure how BCOM looks at MCAT scores, but yours aren't stellar, and coupled with a borderline/below average cGPA and sGPA may do you in.

A quick rejection does seem like an autoscreen, which would usually kick in based on your numbers.

I am but I feel like its a waste... ugh I am usually really tough-skinned but I am feeling SO devastated because I feel like this was THE easiest school

I don't think this school was going to be easy. They seem very heavily regionally biased and they may have a preference for those with a Hispanic background. Their motto starts off in Spanish already.

Looking at their mission statement,
"BCOM will prepare students to function effectively to address the health needs of the Border, Hispanic and Native American populations."

I know I will not be a good fit for this school, and that it wouldn't be easy for me to get in even with high stats.

I'm sorry but I have to throw in my 2 cents based on my personal experience. My stats are close to @Osteopathinthemaking 's (MCAT is slightly higher).

I'm also OOS. I'm also NOT of the Hispanic or Native American origin or ethnicity.

I tailored my app to their mission and more than that I have the clinical and nonclinical experiences to back it up.

I received an II here a while ago.

Stats aren't everything folks.

P.S. I'm on my phone and don't really wanna go in depth cause my tiny fingers are cramping.

I'll ask them a softball question or two and then move on to the better, viable interviewees.

Wow, you have students fly across country, spend tons of money, because the school is too lazy to have somebody to spend 5 minutes reading their file beforehand? That's bullcrap. Adcoms and the administration really do ego trip tho, but students will remember all the abuse when schools start expecting alumni checks. My undergrad treated me like crap, haven't given the f'ers one red cent.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry but I have to throw in my 2 cents based on my personal experience. My stats are close to @Osteopathinthemaking 's (MCAT is slightly higher).

I'm also OOS. I'm also NOT of the Hispanic or Native American origin or ethnicity.

I tailored my app to their mission and more than that I have the clinical and nonclinical experiences to back it up.

I received an II here a while ago.

Stats aren't everything folks.

P.S. I'm on my phone and don't really wanna go in depth cause my tiny fingers are cramping.

The problem is, he got rejected super early (within 24 hours of submitting secondary.) You also said you had a higher MCAT score. Maybe you met their cutoff while he didn't. Rejections don't happen that fast unless you don't meet their minimum requirements.

Nobody knows. He may have tailored his app to the mission of BCOM too.

What were your stats?

They probably take the fast/cheap/easy route of auto II for above certain stats thresholds, which screws over a random applicant every now and then.

Hard to feel bad for these people though. They have something like an IA for cheating or plagiarism then **** em.

Based on the post above, it certainly sounds like a mission thing. There is no way you should have been autorejected post-secondary THIS EARLY IN THE CYCLE. What the heck did you say in your PS and secondaries osteopath?!

Even with a mission thing, it takes time to read it. I'm leaning more towards stats. Even if he didn't fit the mission of the school, it didn't have to reject him right away. Unless he really wrote terrible essays that had nothing to do with the school, the super early rejection makes no sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
They probably take the fast/cheap/easy route of auto II for above certain stats thresholds, which screws over a random applicant every now and then.

Hard to feel bad for these people though. They have something like an IA for cheating or plagiarism then **** em.

****, people make mistakes. And people wonders why doctors have a god complex, you have to be damn near perfect just to get in the door.

lol stats? this is a new school that has blatantly stated that they want a 17 minimum. While OBVIOUSLY the caliber of student they want and will ultimately accept will far exceed this number, a 24 and a 3.3 gpa is not gonna get your app obliterated the way it was this EARLY in the cycle.

CUSOM is a new school (2 years old,) and they already autoreject those with a 3.2 or below for cGPA/sGPA and for those with a lower MCAT than 24.

This is autoreject BEFORE secondary.

I think stats are more important than whether you fit with their mission. They know that all osteopathic school applicants all similar, and most of the mission of the schools are similar anyways.

weak argument. your comparing a school that was founded 4 years ago vs one that has yet to put a body in a seat. BCOM either knows what it wants or osteopath has some major red flags he's not speaking on.

Let's just agree to disagree. I can guarantee you that BCOM will not turn away someone with good stats even if they didn't fit with their mission.

With those with lowerish stats, it becomes more important that you fit with their mission, although it was a quick rejection. I doubt the school can go through an application that quickly.

Also, stats get you through the door. Once you're in, they will take time to process all those essays you have written.

Wow, you have students fly across country, spend tons of money, because the school is too lazy to have somebody to spend 5 minutes reading their file beforehand? That's bullcrap. Adcoms and the administration really do ego trip tho, but students will remember all the abuse when schools start expecting alumni checks. My undergrad treated me like crap, haven't given the f'ers one red cent.

Did someone piss in your cereal this morning? Look, I'm not a fan of medical school administrations and I totally understand where you're coming from, but Goro has his own way of picking applicants. I didn't care whether my interviewers have read my file or not. As long they asked me a question, soft or hard, I gave them a reasonable answer and it was surely something that convinced my interviewers to advocate strongly for me.

****, people make mistakes. And people wonders why doctors have a god complex, you have to be damn near perfect just to get in the door.

False, physicians are from being perfect as they make medical and non-medical mistakes all the time.

they also state this: Supplemental Application - Supplemental Application required: Yes. Sent to: Screened applicants

He was screened, probably met the minimums and was then rejected after a more comprehensive view of his application. game over.

Its not asking someone to be perfect to do their own work as a student. That's their full time job. That's what the entire meritocratic system is built on, and when they succeed by cheating they're taking away from someone else. Zero sympathy for cheaters.

Reactions: 1 users
they also state this: Supplemental Application - Supplemental Application required: Yes. Sent to: Screened applicants

He was screened, probably met the minimums and was then rejected after a more comprehensive view of his application. game over.

Considering that it was done in 24 hours, probably not for that "comprehensive view."

There is already a lot of activity for BCOM thread. They're getting a lot more applicants and submitted secondaries than the other schools.

comprehensive as in there was a problem/issue buried just below the layer of fat that one would call their gpa/mcat

More evidence:

Each applicant is screened and qualified candidates are invited to submit a supplemental application. Every undergraduate major is accepted, as long as the prerequisite classes are passed (minimum C grade in each) at an accredited college or university

Reactions: 1 users
comprehensive as in there was a problem/issue buried just below the layer of fat that one would call their gpa/mcat

More evidence:

Each applicant is screened and qualified candidates are invited to submit a supplemental application. Every undergraduate major is accepted, as long as the prerequisite classes are passed (minimum C grade in each) at an accredited college or university

Considering the applicant got waitlisted into VCOM last cycle, I don't see any red flags. The applicant would have to provide more information.

The applicant had a 21 MCAT, then a 24 MCAT.

In the end, it may be a combination of both his stats and his secondary answers. Who knows?

Its not asking someone to be perfect to do their own work as a student. That's their full time job. That's what the entire meritocratic system is built on, and when they succeed by cheating they're taking away from someone else. Zero sympathy for cheaters.

Maybe they aren't like that anymore, we don't permanently blacklist people who cheat on their spouses, hell we even give criminals a second chance after they have done the time.

Yes, I already mentioned this above. The Faculty do not approve of this policy. Ego has nothing to with it, I have no idea why you would ego think that. As I also mentioned previously, it has to do with the Admissions dean's mandate to fill seats.

As mentioned above (do you even read these threads?) why take chances on someone who is a cheater when we we literally have thousands of people who didn't cheat?

Maybe they aren't like that anymore, we don't permanently blacklist people who cheat on their spouses, hell we even give criminals a second chance after they have done the time.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you see people with criminal records often landing competitive job opportunities? Anybody with sex offender on their record getting that teaching job they always wanted? I'm not saying we should give cheaters 20 to life, but I think it's totally fair and fitting that they lose their shot at an education full of competition and exams once they've shown they're willing to cheat.

And besides the point that schools get thousands of highly qualified applicants, I think it's also important to understand as @Goro stated that actions should have consequences. Same applies to medicine, sports, or anything else in life.

RVU waited all of 2hrs to reject me after my 2ndary. I have to wonder I'd they even looked at it.

Very few schools are judicial in their choices when sending 2ndaries. Why? Because at the end of the day, it's a money making business. My money was courted by 17 of 18 schools. KCUMB was the only one to have decency and reject me ahead of time

yeah my secondary were all about serving, being first generation, wanting to work with diverese populations etc. I really doubt it was my essays becuase they were in line with the mission and I dont think they even read them in one day lol

yeah my secondary were all about serving, being first generation, wanting to work with diverese populations etc. I really doubt it was my essays becuase they were in line with the mission and I dont think they even read them in one day lol

Have you contacted them for feedback as to why they rejected you?

lmao rather than continually offer the hearsay that you're evidently capable of, why don't you wait for he or she to post his or her feedback before trying to stir the pot again. I guarantee you a 3.3GPA/24 MCAT will not be the weakest applicant matriculating at this school.

Whether it's a string of 10 F's that no one knows about, a lack of pre-reqs or their 12 unit post-bac (way too few units to do any type of GPA remediation), something is clearly up with a 3.3/24 MCAT (9 BIO) person saying all the right things + wanting to "work with diverse populations" and getting rejected in such a manner.

Look, you can spin this any way you want. Stats do matter, and they get you through the door. There are more applicants than seats available with high stats. The average is higher every year. If stats didn't matter, then why does the average increase? Do you honestly think a school has the capacity to read through every application 100% thoroughly when they have over 5000 applicants? Some schools have even much higher number of applicants than that.

With lower stats, you are going to have to do a lot more to get a seat than someone with a much higher stat. DO schools tend to forgive you if you have a high MCAT and a low GPA, or vice versa. When you have both being semi-low, then that is a red flag to them and makes them wonder if you can handle their intense curriculum.

A 3.3/24 MCAT may not be the weakest matriculating into the school, but it is getting near the bottom for a school with an average of 3.5 and 27 MCAT. (Can't comment on BCOM, though.) Want to take that chance? I bet you the ones who have the low stats get in because they have done something amazing that's different than other applicants which makes them memorable. By the way, a 24 means that the OP had an average of 8 in each section. Some schools already screen out for those with less than 8's in each section. A 9 in bio means that one of the sections had to be 7 or less.

But the problem is that she was rejected within 24 hours of receiving the secondary. There must be something wrong with her stats. I doubt her essays were really far off from the mission of the school. Also, lacking prerequisites doesn't mean you get rejected automatically. They can still conditionally accept you as long as you fulfill the prerequisites before matriculation.

Last edited:
Would it be surprising if there was a combination of things and not just one, glaring reason for the rejection? Seems like it could be a couple things that just didn't add up for the adcom. I know CUSOM has a higher minimum than a lot of schools simply because they are trying to make a name for themselves and set the standard high as a new school. Maybe BCOM is doing the same thing. Their minimums may be stated as low but it could be that they are trying to set a high standard. An out of state, mediocre gpa, mediocre mcat, who doesn't quite align with the mission may just not be what they're looking for as a whole.

Would it be surprising if there was a combination of things and not just one, glaring reason for the rejection? Seems like it could be a couple things that just didn't add up for the adcom. I know CUSOM has a higher minimum than a lot of schools simply because they are trying to make a name for themselves and set the standard high as a new school. Maybe BCOM is doing the same thing. Their minimums may be stated as low but it could be that they are trying to set a high standard. An out of state, mediocre gpa, mediocre mcat, who doesn't quite align with the mission may just not be what they're looking for as a whole.
the problem with what you said is that it doesnt make sense how this applicant got rejected less than 24 hrs after he submitted the applicant. That is DAMN fast to get rejected. Not to mention adcomms have dozens of other applications to look at as well. That is one helluva fast consideration on rejection.