How to handle a rejection from school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuwhenucme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got my 1st rejection after 2 business day of my supplementary submission.

I was wondering it is normal to get rejection that soon after submission of 2nd? Does it indicate something significantly went wrong?

Thanks for your experience.
damn...what school? what were your apx stats?
Sounds to me like u were autoscreened maybe.

The same way if a girl rejects you. You move on. Try again when you have a better presentation.

-Credential- Friendzoned since 2006.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my 1st rejection after 2 business day of my supplementary submission.

I was wondering it is normal to get rejection that soon after submission of 2nd? Does it indicate something significantly went wrong?

While being rejected always sucks, honestly I think it may be better to get the band-aid ripped off. Many schools will wait until April to tell you or not tell you at all. The low feeling you get from this will only make the high from your first acceptance feel better. To answer your question, I think that is too fast for anything to even be significantly wrong. Likely you got screened out. I see this is in the Osteopathic forum so I can't speak with as much confidence (not much to begin with), but are your stats significantly lower than their averages? Could it be a residency issue? It seems really quick for that kind of turnaround, but who knows?

I just got my 1st rejection after 2 business day of my supplementary submission. I was wondering it is normal to get rejection that soon after submission of 2nd? Does it indicate something significantly went wrong? Thanks for your experience.

Sorry to hear about your experience. If it makes you feel better, 99% of applicants get tons of them.

FYI- Med school rejections come in many flavors. Some schools will instantly reject you via autoscreen, some will reject you up to 16 months later (yes, this happened to me) with an impersonal letter that will make you realize you've been autoscreened (I can't count the number of rejections I received implying that if I pursued the graduate degree that I already had, then they'd admit me... ha!), some will reject you in the warmest/fuzziest way, others will reject you via the silent treatment... and everything in-between.

Since many of us put so much effort into our apps, rejections can and will eat you alive if you don't let it roll of your back. My first cycle was torture because I took every rejection personally and it was chiseling away at my 20 year dream of being a doc. When I finally took a more relaxed approached and used the rejections as an opportunity to improve the next app, the process got a lot easier and ended well. So shrug off that rejection and let it serve as motivation to get that first acceptance. As they say, "it only takes one". Good luck! :)

Reactions: 2 users
That's strange. OP you sure there weren't any red flags on your app?

Reactions: 1 user
Listen to Drake.

Ohhhhhhh ohhhhh.... trust issues.... oohhhh ooohhhhhhhh trust issueessss

;)

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry to hear about your experience. If it makes you feel better, 99% of applicants get tons of them.

FYI- Med school rejections come in many flavors. Some schools will instantly reject you via autoscreen, some will reject you up to 16 months later (yes, this happened to me) with an impersonal letter that will make you realize you've been autoscreened (I can't count the number of rejections I received implying that if I pursued the graduate degree that I already had, then they'd admit me... ha!), some will reject you in the warmest/fuzziest way, others will reject you via the silent treatment... and everything in-between.

Since many of us put so much effort into our apps, rejections can and will eat you alive if you don't let it roll of your back. My first cycle was torture because I took every rejection personally and it was chiseling away at my 20 year dream of being a doc. When I finally took a more relaxed approached and used the rejections as an opportunity to improve the next app, the process got a lot easier and ended well. So shrug off that rejection and let it serve as motivation to get that first acceptance. As they say, "it only takes one". Good luck! :)

Love this!

OP, didn't you have an IA for plagiarism? That might have been why they rejected you so quickly.

You were suspended for cheating, and trust is pretty important in this business.

Some applicants are rejected this early due to GPA auto screen. If they offered you a secondary tells me that you passed their screen. There must be something in your application that they didn't like. Have you called them? It might be worth calling them just in case of an error. But if above posters are correct, you probably got rejected due to IA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your IA is lethal for a career in Medicine. It's time for Plan B.

Reactions: 1 users
Your IA is lethal for a career in Medicine. It's time for Plan B.

OP seems to have atleast gotten secondaries from some schools. One would think schools won't bother sending a secondary if they don't plan on accepting someone with IA. How do you explain that? Do schools just want the secondary fees or do things like IA usually looked closer post-secondary submission?

OP seems to have atleast gotten secondaries from some schools. One would think schools won't bother sending a secondary if they don't plan on accepting someone with IA. How do you explain that? Do schools just want the secondary fees or do things like IA usually looked closer post-secondary submission?

Im not adcoms

But after speaking to many adcoms getting past primary only means youve made the gpa cut which is usually a 2.75 or 2.8.

It isnt till secondary that they review your material and decide whether to continue. They have thousands of applications and hence they only need one reason not to move forward. Having a infraction like this is one reason.

Im not going to tell the OP not to consider medicine but having such a label on your record is indeed not going to help you. I speak from experience since I served as a judge on my schools honor council. I tell everyone this, one minor mistake is more or less forgiven if you own up and admit it happened, the best case scenario would have been an F in the course but your record may have remained clean. Not saying this happened or didnt, but atleast thats what our protocol was for something like this. You need to have some sort of explanation why it happened and what you learned from it. Talking to the schools directly may help. But as @Goro said it doesnt look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some schools treat secondaries like a tax on the hopelessly naive or optimistic. My school doesn't pre-screen so we'd have to end up interviewing OP is his/her stats were in our range. Then s/he would get a rejection.

OP seems to have at least gotten secondaries from some schools. One would think schools won't bother sending a secondary if they don't plan on accepting someone with IA. How do you explain that? Do schools just want the secondary fees or do things like IA usually looked closer post-secondary submission?

Some schools treat secondaries like a tax on the hopelessly naive or optimistic. My school doesn't pre-screen so we'd have to end up interviewing OP is his/her stats were in our range. Then s/he would get a rejection.

Are you saying your school gives out II's without looking at a candidates secondary application?

Oh they look at the secondary, but them issue the II. well, maybe not to paroled felons, but still this drives us Adcom members crazy. Very unfair to people who would be DOA with our committee, like, say, Carib diploma mill refugees, or kids who have failed out of another MD or DO school, those how have multiple DUIs or arrests, or those with significant IAs.

Are you saying your school gives out II's without looking at a candidates secondary application?

Fair enough. I just figured it would be in school's best interest to not waste time with secondary in a situation like this.

Alas, the wily old Admissions dean's mandate is to get bodies into seats. The Adcom's mandate is to get qualified bodies into those seats, because he have to teach them! So there are competing motives.

Fair enough. I just figured it would be in school's best interest to not waste time with secondary in a situation like this.

Oh they look at the secondary, but them issue the II. well, maybe not to paroled felons, but still this drives us Adcom members crazy. Very unfair to people who would be DOA with our committee, like, say, Carib diploma mill refugees, or kids who have failed out of another MD or DO school, those how have multiple DUIs or arrests, or those with significant IAs.

How would your school's adcoms/interviewers view a less significant IA, specifically marijuana on campus 3-4 years, assuming all other parts of the applicant are solid. Does it still weaken the applicant, or once you discuss it in interview and everything seems ok, you move past it.

Wow. Basically, some poor soul will spend hundreds of dollars traveling to an interview he has no shot at. That seems crazy to me, but I applaud your honesty.

Reactions: 2 users
This IA is common, and Adcom member used to be young and stupid once too, so we'd ignore the IA. You can still be expected to be asked about the IA, and as long as you own it, you'll be fine.

How would your school's adcoms/interviewers view a less significant IA, specifically marijuana on campus 3-4 years, assuming all other parts of the applicant are solid. Does it still weaken the applicant, or once you discuss it in interview and everything seems ok, you move past it.

Alas, the wily old Admissions dean's mandate is to get bodies into seats. The Adcom's mandate is to get qualified bodies into those seats, because he have to teach them! So there are competing motives.
This is completely unethical. It's expensive to travel across the country, especially so for students who are almost by definition broke.

No experience being rejected from *medical school*, but I've been rejected by tons of grad schools and law schools. Sometimes I had to remind myself that, while acceptances are gratifying, and it's good to have choices, all you need is one acceptance-you can only matriculate at one after all.

From what I hear, other DO schools also are lax in their pre-screening process. Not all of them, as the OP can attest. MD schools tend to be much, much stricter. They actually have app screeners!
So if your interviews are open file, do you essentially sit down with an applicant, read that they have a cheating IA, and then just have to half-ass an interview that's hopeless? You seem pretty no-nonsense I'd almost expect you to say "oh, I see you're a cheater! Have a nice day" and free up some quality time for your cat

I'll ask them a softball question or two and then move on to the better, viable interviewees.

So if your interviews are open file, do you essentially sit down with an applicant, read that they have a cheating IA, and then just have to half-ass an interview that's hopeless? You seem pretty no-nonsense I'd almost expect you to say "oh, I see you're a cheater! Have a nice day" and free up some quality time for your cat

I'll ask them a softball question or two and then move on to the better, viable interviewees.

Is there nothing that can be done during the interview to help salvage the applicants chances? The person was at least honest and disclosed the event, although I don't know how they would not have, he got suspended, so I assume the event was pretty huge.

I understand that medicine is a profession based on a foundation of trust, but people make mistakes. It stinks that one action can completely shut someone out of a career path forever.

But so many other applicants DON'T make mistakes, in a field where professional integrity is highly important! My clinical colleagues know that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students.

Our rationale always boils down to: "is this a person we'd want in our Class? Why take a chance on him/her?

As I tell my 12 year old: actions have consequences.

Is there nothing that can be done during the interview to help salvage the applicants chances? The person was at least honest and disclosed the event, although I don't know how they would not have, he got suspended, so I assume the event was pretty huge.

I understand that medicine is a profession based on a foundation of trust, but people make mistakes. It stinks that one action can completely shut someone out of a career path forever.

Reactions: 9 users
Goro speaks the truth on this. I'm willing to teach a student with bad grades, but I don't want anyone with documented integrity issues on my ward.

Reactions: 7 users
But so many other applicants DON'T make mistakes, in a field where professional integrity is highly important! My clinical colleagues know that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students.

Our rationale always boils down to: "is this a person we'd want in our Class? Why take a chance on him/her?

As I tell my 12 year old: actions have consequences.

Agreed. I think it also comes down to the fact that medical schools get so many qualified applicants. Why would you take a chance on someone with documented issue like this when you have so many other qualified applicants to choose from?

so....I got rejected from BCOM less than 24 hours after I submitted my secondary...

so....I got rejected from BCOM less than 24 hours after I submitted my secondary...

I know you got an interview last cycle at VCOM, so this shouldn't be due to IA (unless you did something last couple months). Perhaps they screen you out? Email them and ask why.

Last edited:
I know you got an interview last cycle at VCOM, so this shouldn't be due to IA (unless you did cycle last couple months). Perhaps they screen you out? Email them and ask why.
I did have an interview and was waitlisted so i am SO very confused I dont have an IA, I have improved immensly since my last cycle (3.95 gpa in 12 additional credits of biochem, research, micro, and USMLE based med micro course...) I had a secondary so I dont get how they would screen me out

Could be a red flag in the app, like a bad LOR, OR, perhaps your app wasn't' complete? I suggest contacting the Admissions dean tio see if you can get some feedback on your rejection.

The speed of rejection does suggest an auto-screen.

I did have an interview and was waitlisted so i am SO very confused I dont have an IA, I have improved immensly since my last cycle (3.95 gpa in 12 additional credits of biochem, research, micro, and USMLE based med micro course...) I had a secondary so I dont get how they would screen me out

What are your stats?

Could be a red flag in the app, like a bad LOR, OR, perhaps your app wasn't' complete? I suggest contacting the Admissions dean tio see if you can get some feedback on your rejection.

The speed of rejection does suggest an auto-screen.
What are your stats?

my stats were 3.38 c 3.32s 21 mcat (first try) and 24 mcat (final try) and a 3.95 in post bacc (DIY) ---the letters of rec I have I used last year so I doubt it but there was one new one but I got A in the class and did research for him and got an A in his research class too... so I dont know

the only thing I can think of is that right before I submitted I sent my secondary to someone on here I was corresponding with and if they used it too then that would explain it... but I have proof that I sent it TO them... and I just dont see how they would do that and not think about their own app getting auto rejected as well.. and it wasnt that great to begin with...stupid move of course but people peer review each others PS all the time there is even a thread for it..that was my thought process there...

my stats were 3.38 c 3.32s 21 mcat (first try) and 24 mcat (final try) and a 3.95 in post bacc (DIY) ---the letters of rec I have I used last year so I doubt it but there was one new one but I got A in the class and did research for him and got an A in his research class too... so I dont know

the only thing I can think of is that right before I submitted I sent my secondary to someone on here I was corresponding with and if they used it too then that would explain it... but I have proof that I sent it TO them... and I just dont see how they would do that and not think about their own app getting auto rejected as well.. and it wasnt that great to begin with...stupid move of course but people peer review each others PS all the time there is even a thread for it..that was my thought process there...

I'm more leaning towards that your MCAT scores are not good enough for BCOM. Not sure how BCOM looks at MCAT scores, but yours aren't stellar, and coupled with a borderline/below average cGPA and sGPA may do you in.

A quick rejection does seem like an autoscreen, which would usually kick in based on your numbers.

I'm more leaning towards that your MCAT scores are not good enough for BCOM.
when I called them before they received my supplementary app they told me thats "right in the ball park"...? are they that desperate for secondary money??

also this is a brand new school I would see if a 22 or a 20 would be auto screened out but even their info in the handbook says a 17 is minimum, I understand that is a minimum probably for secondary screening, but I feel like its too early for them to screen out a 24...

when I called them before they received my supplementary app they told me thats "right in the ball park"...? are they that desperate for secondary money??

also this is a brand new school I would see if a 22 or a 20 would be auto screened out but even their info in the handbook says a 17 is minimum, I understand that is a minimum probably for secondary screening, but I feel like its too early for them to screen out a 24...

Do they take the highest score, or do they average them? They also seem very heavily regionally biased.

Consider yourself lucky. I did not apply to BCOM because no federal loans for the first year, which means your first year's tuition would be at least $80k.

I'm more leaning towards that your MCAT scores are not good enough for BCOM. Not sure how BCOM looks at MCAT scores, but yours aren't stellar, and coupled with a borderline/below average cGPA and sGPA may do you in.

A quick rejection does seem like an autoscreen, which would usually kick in based on your numbers.
gotcha...so if am that below average that I am getting screened out of a BRAND new school in JULY why even proceed with CUSOM , WVSOM, VCOM etc... am i right?

gotcha...so if am that below average that I am getting screened out of a BRAND new school in JULY why even proceed with CUSOM , WVSOM, VCOM etc... am i right?

Well, read my previous post. It may even be heavily regionally biased.

A below average applicant that is OOS is pretty much a rejection. Plus, I wasn't a fan of the BCOM's secondary either. They ask questions that are a little bit too controversial and force the applicant to express certain beliefs that shouldn't affect medical practice.

I mean, why would you compare Adolf Hitler to Mao Zedong? The insinuations are pretty clear from that school.

Do they take the highest score, or do they average them? They also seem very heavily regionally biased.

Consider yourself lucky. I did not apply to BCOM because no federal loans for the first year, which means your first year's tuition would be at least $80k.
I am not sure if they average...but I havent seen many schools that do that... I was heavily leaning towards the heavy regional bias

Well, read my previous post. It may even be heavily regionally biased.

A below average applicant that is OOS is pretty much a rejection. Plus, I wasn't a fan of the BCOM's secondary either. They ask questions that are a little bit too controversial and force the applicant to express certain beliefs that shouldn't affect medical practice.
Yeah I agree with that... I just dont understand how they couldve read 4 essays in one day and my letters of recc.