How to handle DO acceptance and MD waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViolaHastings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

This site has been a constant source of valuable information for me, especially this cycle, and I am hoping for some insight into my current situation.

I was accepted to MSUCOM this past fall and I am so grateful for this. I would be so excited and happy to attend here, however I'm conflicted as I am currently on the waitlist at Central (CMed) and Wayne State. I understand that the majority of waitlist movement occurs after mid-late May, after applicants holding multiple acceptances decline all offers but one. However, MSUCOM has orientation in early June.

I am torn between wanting to look for roommates and housing, and generally prepare, and trying to avoid getting stuck in a lease if my plans change. I have already had to pay a deposit and a few other costs towards attending MSUCOM. Many people in my life do not understand why I would wait until weeks before school starts to make a decision and some consider it reckless as I have no idea what my chances are for making it off of either waitlist. Thankfully, I live in MI so all of the schools are relatively close to home and housing for the summer semester would not be an issue, but I don't know how long I should hold off on making other arrangements.

At what point should I begin making plans to attend MSUCOM? Or do I not make any plans until absolutely necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say hold off as long as you can. It costs a lot of money to break a lease and you could be screwing over you roommates if this did end up happening. That being said, most waitlist movement should occur after April 30th since that's the last day to hold multiple acceptances. By then you might have more of an idea of your chances at that point.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say hold off as long as you can. It costs a lot of money to break a lease and you could be screwing over you roommates if this did end up happening. That being said, most waitlist movement should occur after April 30th since that's the last day to hold multiple acceptances. By then you might have more of an idea of your chances at that point.
That's a good point, thank you! I was just imagining waitlist movement to happen in a few waves, as people decide between new options or decline their current offer for the new one, opening up their original spot, and so on. Is this incorrect? Would it be a quicker process?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good point, thank you! I was just imagining waitlist movement to happen in a few waves, as people decide between new options or decline their current offer for the new one, opening up their original spot, and so on. Is this incorrect? Would it be a quicker process?
That I don't know. Someone on an admission committee could probably give you better feedback on that

Traffic day. Start making plans after traffic day.plus msusom and Wayne state plans are pretty similar?

Traffic day. Start making plans after traffic day.plus msusom and Wayne state plans are pretty similar?
Thank you! It appears my worries were premature :oops:

Also, I would be at the main MSUCOM site in East Lansing, not the DMC site, if that's what you meant by the plans being similar.

Thank you! It appears my worries were premature :oops:

Also, I would be at the main MSUCOM site in East Lansing, not the DMC site, if that's what you meant by the plans being similar.
That's exactly what I meant. I am still deciding my final spot , there will be plenty of wl movement at Wayne.

Get your head and heart around MSUCOM because that's where you've been accepted. I'd do everything that's refundable and line up but not sign on the stuff that's non-refundable. So long as you're honest with your potential roommates, they are all in the same boat and will all understand, even if they don't like it. You can also have a 'prenup' in your sublease agreement that essentially states that if you get accepted off the wait list at the last minute, you will owe them $XX toward their costs of replacing you as a roommate.

Reactions: 2 users
That's exactly what I meant. I am still deciding my final spot , there will be plenty of wl movement at Wayne.
Fingers crossed!

I'd imagine there won't be too much waitlist movement anywhere until those deciding between schools receive all their financial info also.

As someone desperately trying to get off of a current lease, I strongly advise to be careful in that department until you're sure.

Get your head and heart around MSUCOM because that's where you've been accepted. I'd do everything that's refundable and line up but not sign on the stuff that's non-refundable. So long as you're honest with your potential roommates, they are all in the same boat and will all understand, even if they don't like it. You can also have a 'prenup' in your sublease agreement that essentially states that if you get accepted off the wait list at the last minute, you will owe them $XX toward their costs of replacing you as a roommate.
It seems like a good portion of students would be in similar positions, yet a good number of people are already looking for housing and roommates, so I was unsure how common it was to try and line these things up before fully committing.

The "prenup" agreement is something I wouldn't have ever thought of. Is that something that happens somewhat often? I wouldn't want to be on the hook for my portion of rent and utilities until they find someone, but I am unsure of what the advantage would be for them. Why take the risk on someone who could get an email and leave at any point?

As someone desperately trying to get off of a current lease, I strongly advise to be careful in that department until you're sure.
Oh no, I hope it works out for you. Is it a huge fee to break the lease? Or are you actually trapped in the lease until it ends?

Hey girl! I am in a very similar position with MSUCOM and I think about this EVERY DAY. I would love to just move forward with housing, planning my new life in EL, all that stuff. I am holding off buying the orientation materials until the very last day, and trying to figure out exactly what is refundable. I think for me personally I am going to make a strict cutoff date in mid-May. Like, "If I don't get off a Wayne/CMED WL by May 15, I am 100% committed to MSUCOM". Even though it's late, I still think we would be able to find housing in May, and there will probably be lots of other kids in similar positions still looking for roomies. Or at least that's what I am hoping :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey girl! I am in a very similar position with MSUCOM and I think about this EVERY DAY. I would love to just move forward with housing, planning my new life in EL, all that stuff. I am holding off buying the orientation materials until the very last day, and trying to figure out exactly what is refundable. I think for me personally I am going to make a strict cutoff date in mid-May. Like, "If I don't get off a Wayne/CMED WL by May 15, I am 100% committed to MSUCOM". Even though it's late, I still think we would be able to find housing in May, and there will probably be lots of other kids in similar positions still looking for roomies. Or at least that's what I am hoping :)
Hey! :) Exactly! I am driving myself and everyone close to me crazy with how often I bring this up. I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I hope you get good news from Wayne State soon! I also like your idea of giving yourself a cut off date, knowing exactly when the uncertainty would end for you would probably be a big relief. I may try that too, as I could totally see myself putting off making arrangements in EL day after day after day due to whatever tiny bit of hope left. It is also a relief to know that we both have at least one great option already!

I had a PM going with VH but I'll jump in here as well. I've been accepted into MSUCOM, but have interest in other schools I've interviewed at and been WL'd, haven't heard back from, or haven't interviewed at yet.

The waiting blows, but we gon' be alright as long as we ignore the world burning around us while apartment leases and potential roommates pass us by.

You 3 should all wait until the last minute (mid-May) and get a place together if necessary. :D

You 3 should all wait until the last minute (mid-May) and get a place together if necessary. :D
Wait that's actually not a bad idea haha. At least I know there could potentially be two other desperate people out there!

I'll be in Europe for a month beginning in May 1, which in hindsight was a poor strategy, but I felt I had to go then since my only acceptance is at MSUCOM, which begins June 7. :eek:

Oh God, I'm realizing how foolish the planning behind this was, LOL. Guess I better hope I snag an acceptance from 1 of the 2 I haven't heard from yet so I have time to apartment search ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MSUCOM must have to refill their class after may.

I'll be in Europe for a month beginning in May 1, which in hindsight was a poor strategy, but I felt I had to go then since my only acceptance is at MSUCOM, which begins June 7. :eek:

Oh God, I'm realizing how foolish the planning behind this was, LOL. Guess I better hope I snag an acceptance from 1 of the 2 I haven't heard from yet so I have time to apartment search ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LOL SAME I'll be in Europe for 3 weeks in May.......no phone service, intermittent access to email :scared:

What's the housing market like there? And what's it typically like in mid-May versus March? 2017 is almost certainly not the first year when prospective students wrestle with the DO or MD waitlist issue.

It would be most unusual for an apartment/condo complex to be willing to make a commitment to you (apt 201) if you are not willing to make a commitment to them (sign lease), but they may be able to tell you if they typically have units available (not pre-leased) then. Or ask a Realtor specializing in apartment/condo rentals -- but do factor in a grain of salt for false "sign now!" urgency. There may also be industry reports available online showing typical vacancy rates. Or maybe look for archives from May 2016?

If there's a group of you (three so far just on this thread) and even one of you can scout the area for neighborhoods and complexes, you could come up with a tentative plan (Fresh Meadows first or Spring Woods if Fresh Meadows is full) then leave just a "2 bedroom or 3" issue to be resolved down the line. Might help with the peace of mind while you enjoy Europe.

Oh no, I hope it works out for you. Is it a huge fee to break the lease? Or are you actually trapped in the lease until it ends?
They told me I could pay $1000 for them to re-list the apartment but if they don't find people to move in I'm STILL liable for the rent. And there's currently open units so not to count on it. It's a nightmare, all cause I thought I'd be going to my state school.

What's the housing market like there? And what's it typically like in mid-May versus March? 2017 is almost certainly not the first year when prospective students wrestle with the DO or MD waitlist issue.

It would be most unusual for an apartment/condo complex to be willing to make a commitment to you (apt 201) if you are not willing to make a commitment to them (sign lease), but they may be able to tell you if they typically have units available (not pre-leased) then. Or ask a Realtor specializing in apartment/condo rentals -- but do factor in a grain of salt for false "sign now!" urgency. There may also be industry reports available online showing typical vacancy rates. Or maybe look for archives from May 2016?

If there's a group of you (three so far just on this thread) and even one of you can scout the area for neighborhoods and complexes, you could come up with a tentative plan (Fresh Meadows first or Spring Woods if Fresh Meadows is full) then leave just a "2 bedroom or 3" issue to be resolved down the line. Might help with the peace of mind while you enjoy Europe.
The problem is that MSUCOM starts June 7, which is insanely early compared to other schools. There's also a couple different campuses, and I know that VH and I are at different ones, which adds another complication. I'm from metro-Detroit (and I'd be at the Detroit campus), so I can always head down to the city to scout. I've been told you essentially put yourself on a waiting list for apartements in the city because everything is booming right now, and then they let you know they have an apartment for you by like, May. For now, I'll just continue with current strategy of:
05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
The problem is that MSUCOM starts June 7, which is insanely early compared to other schools. There's also a couple different campuses, and I know that VH and I are at different ones, which adds another complication. I'm from metro-Detroit (and I'd be at the Detroit campus), so I can always head down to the city to scout. I've been told you essentially put yourself on a waiting list for apartements in the city because everything is booming right now, and then they let you know they have an apartment for you by like, May. For now, I'll just continue with current strategy of:
05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg
Internet-Meme.png

This is great advice, thank you! I think I've been falling for the "sign now" urgency and letting that stress me out. There are several apartment complexes in the area known for being undergrad-free, so I will start gathering info on each. Having some specific places in mind will definitely help when it comes time to make a decision and sign a lease quickly.

They told me I could pay $1000 for them to re-list the apartment but if they don't find people to move in I'm STILL liable for the rent. And there's currently open units so not to count on it. It's a nightmare, all cause I thought I'd be going to my state school.
Oh wow, that is awful. Is this for the coming fall? Maybe others still deciding will be able to take your lease when they make up their minds in May? You could potentially offer some incentive for someone to take over your lease instead of signing a new one