Withdrawing acceptance and need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

my_cabbages

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted to an MD school, committed to enrolling there, and completed its pre-matriculation program. Orientation and classes begin soon. However, due to a family emergency, I may need to withdraw my acceptance. I cannot defer because the school is far away, and I would like to stay close to home as everything settles. What concerns me is what happens if I decide to reapply in a future cycle. I was told that future schools would be able to see this history because it is tied to my AAMC ID. Is this true? Can schools see I CTE'd based on my AAMC ID? Thanks for your help.
 
I suggest first that on Monday you make contact with your school. Write down what you plan to say beforehand because it will help you make the situation known, and ask if they will consider allowing you to defer the start of medical school until next year.
All schools will take deferral requests into consideration on a case by case basis.
Your family may need you right now for this particular emergency, or of course you might not be able to put your worries aside to jump into medical school classes. By next year they should have care plans and support in place.
See if you can defer instead of withdrawing. Deferral puts you back in the same school next year. If you have to end up withdrawing, you will need to report a previous acceptance on a future AMCAS application but can add details about the circumstance.
 
I suggest first that on Monday you make contact with your school. Write down what you plan to say beforehand because it will help you make the situation known, and ask if they will consider allowing you to defer the start of medical school until next year.
All schools will take deferral requests into consideration on a case by case basis.
Your family may need you right now for this particular emergency, or of course you might not be able to put your worries aside to jump into medical school classes. By next year they should have care plans and support in place.
See if you can defer instead of withdrawing. Deferral puts you back in the same school next year. If you have to end up withdrawing, you will need to report a previous acceptance on a future AMCAS application but can add details about the circumstance.
Thank you so much! I will make sure to contact them on Monday. But if my deferral request is rejected, is the AAMC ID thing still true? Would it prevent me from reapplying in the future?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much! I will make sure to contact them on Monday. But if my deferral request is rejected, is the AAMC ID thing still true? Would it prevent me from reapplying in the future?
It would not prevent you from reapplying, and you could explain that the reason for withdrawal was a personal emergency and you weren't granted a deferral, not a withdrawal due to academic failure.
 
It would not prevent you from reapplying, and you could explain that the reason for withdrawal was a personal emergency and you weren't granted a deferral, not a withdrawal due to academic failure.
Good to know. This is all making my head spin. Another student suggested that my ID number would leave a record of the previous cycle and that I would show up as a matriculant even though I haven't attended orientation, which worried me.
 
Good to know. This is all making my head spin. Another student suggested that my ID number would leave a record of the previous cycle and that I would show up as a matriculant even though I haven't attended orientation, which worried me.

All medical schools must report the roster of matriculants to AMCAS/AAMC by October. This presumes that all admissions offices appropriately classify each applicant's final application status. Yours would likely reflect that you "withdrew before matriculation" that would be part of your AAMC/AMCAS record. But you shouldn't be listed as a matriculant.