How to Handle Multiple Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennie 21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So here's my position. I've had four interviews (Einstein, NYU, Columbia, Wash. U) and was waitlisted at all four schools. My dilemma is this: I can't really tell more than one school that they're my first choice, and yet it seems that telling a school they're your first choice is the only way to get off a waitlist. My priority right now is to get accepted SOMEWHERE. I figure based on my stats and the amount of waitlist movement at each school my best chances are at NYU and Einstein. But I can't tell both of them they're my number-one choice! So how do I go about courting both schools at the same time? I would rather go to NYU (my fiance was accepted there) but I also liked Einstein. So how do I go about maximizing my chances at both places?

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to just get into one of them, tell the school you have the best chance at that they are your number one... and focus most of your energy on getting into that one school.

Also, I believe you could send letters to the other schools saying "I've very interesting in your school... if you accept me I will immediately withdraw all of my applications elsewhere" without saying that they are your number one. So what you're really telling them is that you'll go where ever you're accepted first... which you could make the truth.

I would go with your gut feeling on this one as to which is your #1 choice and inform ONLY them that they are your #1 choice. This way you leave more options open. Also, you might want to consider that Columbia seemed to have the most WL movement last year and that it could be a pleasant change for you and your fiancee to be at different schools for a little varety, though the decision is entirely yours. For the NYC schools that are not your first choice, I'd recommend letting them know that you loved the school and the city and would be very happy to attend their school; mentioning the fact that your fiancee is going to med school in NYC might be helpful as well (I don't see how it can hurt, and IMO a very legitimate reason for wanting to live in NY). For Wash U, additional update letters and letters of interest would probably be the most helpful, unless you decide that they are your #1 choice, in which case let them know that. Good luck! I was on 6 waitlists 2 years ago and essentially used this method to let schools know of my interest, and it worked (2 acceptances, planned to withdraw from 3 waitlists but just didn't bother as it was already mid-July).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks relatively prime and irlandesa...I really appreciate the advice. I think you're right about only telling one school they're my number-one and writing strong letters of interest to the others. Irlandesa, I'm curious why you say Columbia had the most waitlist movement of any of these schools last year? I had actually heard that Columbia tends to have relatively little waitlist movement, so if you have info that suggests otherwise I'd love to know about it. Thanks!

Originally posted by jennie 21
Thanks relatively prime and irlandesa...I really appreciate the advice. I think you're right about only telling one school they're my number-one and writing strong letters of interest to the others. Irlandesa, I'm curious why you say Columbia had the most waitlist movement of any of these schools last year? I had actually heard that Columbia tends to have relatively little waitlist movement, so if you have info that suggests otherwise I'd love to know about it. Thanks!

Columbia has an enormous amount of waitlist movement. My interview there was continually highlighted by students telling me to write several letters if I was waitlisted. If you like Columbia, get on the letter train!