How to handle this situation (contacting professors)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilllooking

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm currently an undergraduate student (sophomore) and am contacting psychology professors at my university, trying to get some research experience in areas of interest to me. I have a fairly good friend who just finished her clinical PhD. coursework at the same school and did extensive research in subject x, most likely with this professor (she's the only profesor that does research in subject x at this university). Said friend has told me a lot about her work with subject x, which is the main reason I have an interest in it, actually. Would it be appropriate to mention this in my email expressing my interest in working in this lab (either mentioning said friend by name or not), or to just leave that part out?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would hurt to mention that you became interested in this area of research through discussions with Person X (using their name), before you ask if the prof has any R.A. positions open.

You could also look up papers the prof has written, if you haven't already-- they seem to like that. :)

I'll go a step further and say that you definitely SHOULD mention that connection - I'm big on networking:)

Unless you have reason to believe that professor hates your friend, it can only help.

Really though, this is not a huge deal so don't get too nervous about things. Unless you are extremely unqualified (i.e. doing terrible academically) or come across as very unprofessional, most professors are happy to have undergrads volunteer in their labs.

I've worked in tons of labs and have done RA-recruitment and hiring for a few, and generally speaking, the only people who get turned down are those who are barely scraping by grade-wise, or manage to piss me off or convince me they're an idiot during a short interview. Certainly that isn't the case for all labs, I know of at least one or two that have a semi-competitive application process (though still a VERY low bar compared to the graduate application process). I think those are the exception rather than the rule though - I just don't want you to feel awful if you don't get in!

Occasionally, we will be "full" and I'll tell someone to come back next semester, but for the most part, professors aren't likely to turn down offers to help them get more work done for free.

Yeah I would for sure mention the friend. It seriously can't hurt - your friend was hired because he saw something good in her, the fact that you got interested because of talking to someone good (to put it in the very lowest terms) is an acceptable and almost desired thing.

I've worked in tons of labs - that's how it happens. Sometimes they'll ask you to submit a resume, but having a connection is nice.

But GOOD LUCK! I really hope you get the lab position :)