How to improve application to reapply next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

type42tardis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Asian male who has graduated from college in May of 2018. I applied this current cycle, but I think I am going to have to reapply since I still haven't heard back from school, and am finishing my last two secondaries now. I want to prepare for a worst-case scenario. If you guys could let me know what areas I should improve upon in my app. I am having difficulty finding a new research position or entry level clinical position. All of the scribe jobs pay too little for me to live off of, and the ones that pay enough require 1 year of experience as a scribe minimum.

Year in school: Graduated in May of 2018

Country/state of residence: USA Florida

Schools to which you are applying: Einstein, Hofstra, Emory, FIU, Quinnipiac, George Washington, Georgetown, Nova Southeastern, Penn State, Saint Louis, Alpert, Tufts, USF, UCF, UF, FIU, Wake Forest

Cumulative GPA: 3.91

Science GPA: 3.89

MCAT Scores: 5/13/2017 - 502 (126/123/125/128) 4/21/2018 - 513 (130/126/126/131)

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): 60 hours in for cardiology data analysis lab. 100 hours in microbiology lab over this past summer.

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: ~ 400 hours VA hospital for 16 hours a week. I am continuing to volunteer at both of these locations every week.

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: ~40 hrs (radiology), ~30 hrs (cardiologist), ~20 hrs (primary care pediatrician)

Non-clinical volunteering: ~100 hours at metropolitan ministries for 9 hours a week. I am still volunteering at this location through my gap year.

Extracurricular activities: -Taekwondo. I am a second-degree black belt, and have been training since I was 12. -Founder of taekwondo club in undergrad. Served as an officer for 4 semesters till graduating.

Employment history: Chick-Fil-A Assistant Manager (4.5 years). Worked for 20-25 hours a week throughout undergrad. I am still working here full time for 35-40 hours a week.

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): n

Specialty of interest: Orthopedics (broke my leg in four places when sparring in taekwondo. My experiences make this personal interest)

Graduate degrees: Biomedical Sciences, with a minor in Biomedical Physics and certificate in business

Interest in rural health (y/n): y (would really like to open a series of clinics all over the USA, Serving underserved communities across America.

Members don't see this ad.

but I think I am going to have to reapply since I still haven't heard back from school, and am finishing my last two secondaries now

You know you won't hear back until you send in secondaries, yes?

There's still plenty of time in the cycle. As Goro always says, you should be working on your backup plan and on improving your app anyways until there is an acceprance in hand. But I don't think its time for you to make the call that the cycle is over.

I'm just an applicant but it seems like you didn't apply to many schools. I think it's too early for us to start worrying too much but if you are planning to reapply I would try and add more schools. Maybe 25-30? I only applied to 40 because I'm a CA resident. We might as well not have state schools.