How to improve focus on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good exercises or activities that increase mental endurance and help develop focus for the verbal section? I feel like when I do verbal, I always tend to think about other things, even when I concentrate really hard. So what are some things you can do in daily life that will help to make your mind concentrate on the task at hand?

Members don't see this ad.

Aerobic exercises are good to get blood flowing, increase metabolism, and get that O2 goodness to your brain. If you find running boring, taking martial arts classes is a fun alternative.

There are many types of meditation, and different people have different preferences, but to get you started, you might want to find audio tracks (which you can probably find for free) and listen to them with your eyes closed, sitting comfortably, and engaging in deep "stomach-level" breathing. There are lots of websites that have more detailed instructions, so it might be worth looking into. Supposedly meditation helps improve your concentration, memory, focus, and reduces stress, which is all nice to have when studying for the beast that is MCAT. :thumbup:

Playing games like chess or go on a serious level may help too, since the level of focus is quite similar, though I wouldn't pick it up for the sake of Verbal.

Or it may just be something else in your mind that's bugging you, preventing you from being able to fully focus. Then you'd have to take steps to address whatever this may be.

Some people find taking a day off to the beach or park helps, if only because it reminds them that everything is alright and life is good. :luck:

What are some good exercises or activities that increase mental endurance and help develop focus for the verbal section? I feel like when I do verbal, I always tend to think about other things, even when I concentrate really hard. So what are some things you can do in daily life that will help to make your mind concentrate on the task at hand?

What has helped me with verbal passages, is the entire time i read them, i ask myself questions about what i'm reading. like, why would the author be telling me this? also at the end of each paragraph i try to quickly summarize in my head what the main idea was of that paragraph. I found that it has helped me be more of an active reader when i constantly ask myself things about the passage.