How to improve ophtho application during COVID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye-eye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm an okay (I hope) but not stellar upcoming applicant for ophtho: step 1 of 239, only 2 grades back yet in 3rd year so far (IM=P, Surg=HP, I'm thinking HP or H for Ob/Gyn and probably P for peds based on feedback so far), a good amount of AMA involvement during 1st 2 years, including a resolution passed in the AMA, but no journal pubs yet in med school (1 from before med school, 3 in the works right now). Unfortunately, with COVID going on, a couple issues have popped up which are making it more difficult for me to address the deficiencies in my application. (1) All my research mentors, who were a bit slow in the first place with regards to research, are super busy and have essentially put a moratorium on further work on our manuscripts, even thought I'm about done with 2/3 - and the worst one is the only ophtho-related one, for which I have gotten very disjointed data that doesn't add up and advice amounting to "it's in the data I gave you" when I try to reconcile the differences (it's not, though). (2) Clinicals are rearranged such that I will likely not be getting any elective time soon, perhaps not before application/interview season at all, at this rate, in order to make up for the clerkships we're missing right now, meaning I will have had a total of 2 weeks ophtho, and the only attending I worked with much is the aforementioned one who is probably getting annoyed with me over my attempts to get the proper data to do this manuscript justice. I guess I'm mostly writing this to vent about being frustrated by having so much free time since we're not allowed on the med center campus, and yet not being able to use any of it and seeing my chances to publish anytime soon get smaller every minute. But I was wondering if people had any suggestions to make use of the time, and/or if people in the know could comment on the competitiveness of my application as it may stand if nothing changes for the better soon.

Appreciations for taking the time to listen to my ranting.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, if it was me, I'd be looking to take a year off. You have a 239 step score (median was 247 this year), P in IM, HP in Surg, and research that isn't going to be out in six months. You are not someone who had room for COVID in their app, you are someone who was on track to be below average for Ophtho even without the disruptions.

If you feel like you 100% have to apply this year, I'd probably look to pick up some other chart review work at home instead of continuing to wait on this one mentor. Even if all you do is some data extraction for a couple middle authorships, that's better than nothing at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I think I would agree unless you feel assured of multiple stellar letters. I consider myself an "ok" ophtho applicant with mid 240s on step, one mid-author publication and two posters done and another few pubs in the works. Not that I know any better than you, but looking at the data, 239 was 25th percentile for matched. It may be worth taking an extra year to build up some impressive publications and LORS to try to stand out for a somewhat lackluster step. It's definitely something I've been considering looking at last years match.

Last edited: