How to improve science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told that I need to improve my science GPA. I have a BS in biomedical science GPA: 3.2 2008
Masters in Bacteriology GPA: 3.1 2010
Mt science GPA is always around 3.1.
How should I do this? Should I retake my prerequisites or just take upper level biology courses.
I work full time. So I can only take one class in spring. I will be retaking the DAT in June. retaking the
I appreciate your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told that I need to improve my science GPA. I have a BS in biomedical science GPA: 3.2 2008
Masters in Bacteriology GPA: 3.1 2010
Mt science GPA is always around 3.1.
How should I do this? Should I retake my prerequisites or just take upper level biology courses.
I work full time. So I can only take one class in spring. I will be retaking the DAT in June. retaking the
I appreciate your insight.

Retaking pre-reqs is kind of wasteful (unless you got below a C). Taking one class at a time is not going to budge a GPA anytime soon. Can you share some more info? Did you actually apply in 2011? I imagine this was feedback from a school. Was this recent? Did you ever retake that 19AA? Or is June going to be your second attempt? What else have you done since that cycle?

My initial thought is that those GPAs aren't anything special, but they're at least above 3. Not the end of the world. A stellar performance on the DAT sciences would be an obvious move to try to offset the GPAs. But your history clouds the picture a little. I know people have to work and whatever, but has that been the cause of drawing out the process and grades? I'm no admissions person, but I would wonder what's been going on the last few years if you come in with a mediocre DAT and no major changes to your application in three years. I'm not trying to be offensive.

I am not offended. I am glad you responded to my post. I know I have to work hard to improve my application.
I have applied to dental schools since 2011.
I see your point. I haven't had any major change during the past three years. I was unemployed for about 1.5 years and got very depressed. I have taken the DAT 4 times. Don't be harsh please.
I have an anxiety problem and I am actually going to see a doctor for this reason tomorrow.
I contacted LECOM and this is what they said: " If you’re able, take more science courses to improve your science GPA. Our average science GPA is a 3.4 and yours is consistently right around a 3.1. This will really give you an edge, even if your new DAT scores aren’t that much higher the next time around."

The thing is that I am not going to give up being a dentist just because of a DAT exam score . My science scores are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you planning on applying only Lecom?

You'll be taking the DAT for a fifth time? I know taking it a fourth time is only allowed under special conditions, but a fifth? If that is the case and you will be taking it a fifth time then be absolutely sure you dominate that thing on every level.

Reactions: 1 user
I support people that would not give up to achieve their goal. However, in your case you had so many chances to improve it. I mean, how would adcom look at a person that had 5 chances to write the DAT? In dental school you would not have that many chances to prove yourself in one particular test. You also mentioned something about anxiety, how would you deal with 10 tests in a week in dental school, possibly in addition to seeing patients? Sorry, I don't mean to offend you in any way.

Don't take pre-reqs, do upper level science, biology specifically. I am in a situation similar to your (although I didn't complete a masters yet). I did a second BS with nothing but upper level sciences and are currently finishing a masters and I am still trying to pull up my Megatron sized anchor of bad grades. But with perseverance comes character as well as dedication to study, something that (hopefully) ADCOMS will take notice.

To give you an idea of my situation, I have maintained my GPA >3.8 for almost 3 years and your GPA is still higher than mine, yet I have had numerous interviews, and I hope for the best on Monday. There is no reason why you cant get into Dent school, yet as those who posted before me stated, you are in a rut with respect to DAT's by taking it 4 times already.

I am not trying to say that you should not try again, because in the end, if your not happy with your career, what are you doing? Obligations do come up (family, etc). Just realize that it is a very tough road that will likely cost you A LOT of money. Just think about where you are and where you want to be. You can do it, don't let up if that what you really want.

Perhaps chew on a turkey leg for a while, on this great day of stuffing, and consider the road you will have to take.

Good luck.

Don't take pre-reqs, do upper level science, biology specifically. I am in a situation similar to your (although I didn't complete a masters yet). I did a second BS with nothing but upper level sciences and are currently finishing a masters and I am still trying to pull up my Megatron sized anchor of bad grades. But with perseverance comes character as well as dedication to study, something that (hopefully) ADCOMS will take notice.

To give you an idea of my situation, I have maintained my GPA >3.8 for almost 3 years and your GPA is still higher than mine, yet I have had numerous interviews, and I hope for the best on Monday. There is no reason why you cant get into Dent school, yet as those who posted before me stated, you are in a rut with respect to DAT's by taking it 4 times already.

I am not trying to say that you should not try again, because in the end, if your not happy with your career, what are you doing? Obligations do come up (family, etc). Just realize that it is a very tough road that will likely cost you A LOT of money. Just think about where you are and where you want to be. You
can do it, don't let up if that what you really want.

Perhaps chew on a turkey leg for a while, on this great day of stuffing, and consider the road you will have to take.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

Good luck!

Were you working full time while taking classes for your second BS / MS?
I don't know what to do at this point. Should I just focus on my DAT ?
Or try to take classes too?
I am really confused!