Step I how to interpret nbme scores; getting answers by instinct?

Started by carnelian
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

carnelian

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, so I'm aware that NBMEs are the best predictors in terms of scores. Am I supposed to take the average of all the NBMEs I've taken or use the last NBME score?

Also, I feel like I'm getting a lot of the questions right by "instinct." Like I can kind of tell where the question is going and what the question writer would want me to pick. Or the answer just looks right. Then I'd just pick the answer and move on without spending time thinking through the pathology and why the other choices are wrong. Is anyone else feeling this way?

Thanks!
 
I haven't taken it yet but I'm definitely in the same boat as you. I feel like there is still gaps in my knowledge but I can sometimes get the right answer. Not too sure either tbh.

I think I'm realizing I can't ever feel 100% confident about stuff going into this test like I could for regular exams.
 
Totally normal. I felt like I guessed on literally 3 entire sections on STEP. Scored exactly at my NBME average for the 3 weeks preceding my test. NBMEs have strong predictive power, they would be useless if this weren't true.