How to know if an interview went well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How did your interviews go (on average) based on how you felt?

• I felt good about it and got an eventual acceptance

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • I felt good about it and got a rejection

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I felt bad about it and got an eventual acceptance

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • I felt bad about it and got a rejection

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters
This just seems untrue. I know I personally have long multi-hour conversations with randos on the plane or public transit, many end in business cards or the like.

You haven’t met enough people then

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You haven’t met enough people then
Maybe. Or I just talk to people on the airplane who I know I will enjoy conversation with. Success through selective interaction isn’t really success.

Yah, I retract. @OxenFoxen is probably correct

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe. Or I just talk to people on the airplane who I know I will enjoy conversation with. Success through selective interaction isn’t really success.

I had a patient at work yesterday that spent 15 minutes comparing his wife to hurricane Dorian destroying the Bahamas. I just nodded...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a patient at work yesterday that spent 15 minutes comparing his wife to hurricane Dorian destroying the Bahamas. I just nodded...
I relate to this so hard lol. Some patients man...

Or maybe they are just politely listening to you as they are captive on a plane

@MemeLord, please don't tell me you did your golem impression on the plane...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I am polite to everyone, even when I find them extremely annoying. But in my opinion, there is no reason to praise someone if you don't mean it.

Reactions: 2 users
Most people are terrible judges of their own interview performance.

Also, do not place much faith in interviewer's comments to you. We're trained to be polite and encouraging. No interviewer in the world is going to tell you that you were terrible.
That is about the worst thing you can tell someone with social anxiety...

• Sad

:whistle:

• Haha
Nah, conversation is a two way street. Particularly these ones, I do a hell of a lot more listening than talking. I get how what I was talking about is different than what @Cornfed101 was referring to.
@MemeLord, please don't tell me you did your golem impression on the plane...
Nah, this only ever comes up a) On SDN specifically to make fun of myself or B) very very specific situations involving conversations about lord of the rings.

Although, you have seen my Gollum voice and know how awesome it is lol

Last edited by a moderator:

:whistle:
Bruh, I am really not one to exclude anyone from conversation but...this is a fairly productive and informative thread. Would you mind removing this and taking the “bash memelord” tactic elsewhere, please? I have plenty of other threads for you to do that.

You don’t know and won’t even know after the decision unless you file a ferpa request for notes (which they likely wouldn’t hand over). The interview is only a single component and the interviewers are trained to be polite

We have a student interview component and I usually end up giving people a rating based on gestalt. There may be multiple interviews in a day so I don't necessarily have time to rate people in between so I end up doing some together at the end. So the best thing you can do is to not give generic, canned answers but to actually think about questions and relate them back to you and your story. You can talk about helping out at a shelter all you want but unless you tie that into your narrative, it's hard for me to distinguish you from the 10 other people who had similar stories.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a student interview component and I usually end up giving people a rating based on gestalt. There may be multiple interviews in a day so I don't necessarily have time to rate people in between so I end up doing some together at the end. So the best thing you can do is to not give generic, canned answers but to actually think about questions and relate them back to you and your story. You can talk about helping out at a shelter all you want but unless you tie that into your narrative, it's hard for me to distinguish you from the 10 other people who had similar stories.
Do you ever pick a part of the narrative to remember. The army guy, the lots of pubs guy, etc?

Do you ever pick a part of the narrative to remember. The army guy, the lots of pubs guy, etc?

It's more of how well everything fits into their narrative. For example, one student was telling me about how they participated in all these diversity outreach programs and the impact they were trying to make during their college years. Their narrative was about increasing diversity in medicine and it all made sense and fit together very well. I still remember these things about that student. But another student on that same day was telling me about how much diversity means to them and how they want to participate in all these outreach programs in med school but it wasn't consistent with their narrative at all. They had zero experience in diversity outreach in the past. Two very different ratings.

At the end of the day, if you're weak in one area, you're weak in that area. You have to have some experiences to work with and then it's all up to how you play your cards - otherwise the interview is going to be very short and boring if you don't have anything to talk from.

It's more of how well everything fits into their narrative. For example, one student was telling me about how they participated in all these diversity outreach programs and the impact they were trying to make during their college years. Their narrative was about increasing diversity in medicine and it all made sense and fit together very well. I still remember these things about that student. But another student on that same day was telling me about how much diversity means to them and how they want to participate in all these outreach programs in med school but it wasn't consistent with their narrative at all. They had zero experience in diversity outreach in the past. Two very different ratings.

At the end of the day, if you're weak in one area, you're weak in that area. You have to have some experiences to work with and then it's all up to how you play your cards - otherwise the interview is going to be very short and boring if you don't have anything to talk from.

What is diversity outreach?

Does everything we do have to be tied back to why medicine?

I actually think only like 40% of the USUHS class is prior service.

Only about 20% of the class is actually prior enlisted or officer service in the fleet. The other 20% are service academy grads. And no offense to them but that isn’t the same at all lol. But they have a lot more experience with the military than civilians.

A couple years ago I read on SDN of an applicant who was extended an offer of admission during their interview day. I would say that is a good indicator.

edit: however, this is SDN, so I'm not sure if it was real or not.

during my cycle I had a couple of interviewers say "I'm going to recommend you for admission" and at one of those I was still waitlisted lol (but I think its cuz at that school 2/3 of my interviews were strong and one was just ok)

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
during my cycle I had a couple of interviewers say "I'm going to recommend you for admission" and at one of those I was still waitlisted lol (but I think its cuz at that school 2/3 of my interviews were strong and one was just ok)
Jeez. That would be awesome to hear!

This is neurosis rocket fuel

This is neurosis rocket fuel
Moral of the story is just don't put too much stock into what the interviewers say (or what anyone else says, really). Try your best and hope for the best.