How to know word limit for personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2becomeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just trying to work on my personal statement here, but I wanted to know, when you copy and paste, does your essay get truncated if exceed XXX words? How would you know when to stop writing? Is it after you submit that you find excess lines get cut off?

Also for volunteer/work area, similar question. I am assuming most of you submitted online, and had similar question before... thank you so much for helping this late applicant. (trying not to get discouraged about time frame)

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same question, so I emailed AACOMAS. They said that the personal statement section is limited to 2000 characters (approx. 325 words). I know this is not a lot of space, but sit tight 'cause most secondary applications require more of a "full blown" personal statement.

Good Luck!

I've suggested this before... One thing you can do is keep pressing the "A" button (or any letter of your choice) then find out the limit.... cut and paste in word.... and now you have the character limit....

AACOMAS last year said that the limit was set at something yet the actual application was less.... What I did was what I described above.... Try it....

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I didn't screw my AACOMAS up too bad. When I submitted it on June 2, I was really unaware of the fact that the small personal statement box could hold up to 300+ words, so I reduced my thoughts to about 100 words. Hopefully, they'll pay more attention to the statement on my secondary when I get to send it in! Thoughts/suggestions?

Don't worry, you'll get your chance in the secondaries.

Due to the teeny tiny little space provided in the personal statement, i wasnt able to make "multiple" paragraphs or even indent... i even had less than the 325 word limit but i was over the character limit (what bs!)...i hope im not screwed...anyone have the same problem?