How to list clinical/research activity on AMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtobe0817

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last summer I did clinical research at a major academic hospital, but I am struggling with how to classify it on my AMCAS application. Here is a summary of what I did:

1) 270 hours of observation/work in the clinic and OR
2) 100 hours of research
3) 3 research articles - 1 published, 1 in press, 1 manuscript submitted.

I don't know if I should list it as "paid employment - medical/clinical" or "research." I also don't know if I should list the articles under "Publications" in one listing or separately. I also want to list this somehow under my most meaningful, and I am not sure which part to include for that.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last summer I did clinical research at a major academic hospital, but I am struggling with how to classify it on my AMCAS application. Here is a summary of what I did:

1) 270 hours of observation/work in the clinic and OR
2) 100 hours of research
3) 3 research articles - 1 published, 1 in press, 1 manuscript submitted.

I don't know if I should list it as "paid employment - medical/clinical" or "research." I also don't know if I should list the articles under "Publications" in one listing or separately. I also want to list this somehow under my most meaningful, and I am not sure which part to include for that.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it!!
1) Was this experience called an Internship? Did you get a stipend (no taxes deducted) or a salary?
During the 270 observation hours what were you watching? Were you shadowing physicians? Other medical professionals? What "work" did you do? Was it clinical, ie, you were interacting with patients while being helpful?

2) If this was hypothesis-based, original research using the scientific method, it should be tagged as a Research space.

3) The first two accepted research articles can go into a Publications space. The second citation should include the words [in press]. The submitted manuscript should be left off the application and save for Secondaries or update letters for after it's accepted.

1) Was this experience called an Internship? Did you get a stipend (no taxes deducted) or a salary?
During the 270 observation hours what were you watching? Were you shadowing physicians? Other medical professionals? What "work" did you do? Was it clinical, ie, you were interacting with patients while being helpful?

2) If this was hypothesis-based, original research using the scientific method, it should be tagged as a Research space.

3) The first two accepted research articles can go into a Publications space. The second citation should include the words [in press]. The submitted manuscript should be left off the application and save for Secondaries or update letters for after it's accepted.

Thank you!

I worked as a clinical research assistant and had a salary. I was watching an orthopedic surgeon in the clinic and OR while helping collect data for research and interacting with patients.

So are you saying that I should be splitting this up into three separate categories - paid clinical, research, and publications?

I worked as a clinical research assistant and had a salary. I was watching an orthopedic surgeon in the clinic and OR while helping collect data for research and interacting with patients.

So are you saying that I should be splitting this up into three separate categories - paid clinical, research, and publications?
Not necessarily. If the duties in item #1 were part of your research role, they can be included in the Research space. If some of it was straight up physician shadowing, you could carve those hours out and include them with your other shadowing in a Shadowing space (don't double count them, though). If you are short on active clinical experience listed elsewhere, you have the option of moving the clinical hours where you were interacting with patients to an Employment-Medical/Clinical space, again, not double counting any of the hours.