How to list mentoring program on AMCAS if I haven't officially started yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delta2037

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have completed the training, orientation for a youth mentoring program this past winter and have just been waiting for the past few months to be matched with a student (apparently it can take up to 6-8 months to be matched) and Im also on their Youth Organizing Committee (not directly related to the mentoring, but still a part of their larger organization).
Given that I am still waiting to be matched but I am submitting AMCAS later this month, how should I list that on my application or does it even count if I haven't formally started "mentoring"? I was planning on listing it as one of my 15 activities.

Please advise! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't list it. Only list things you have already started/done. Plus, something that has most of the hours as projected is a no-go most of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, they could get away with listing it as long as they are transparent about. Having completed initial training is somewhat being under contract
Would you only recommend OP list it if they have sufficient service elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have completed the training, orientation for a youth mentoring program this past winter and have just been waiting for the past few months to be matched with a student (apparently it can take up to 6-8 months to be matched) and Im also on their Youth Organizing Committee (not directly related to the mentoring, but still a part of their larger organization).

1) Given that I am still waiting to be matched but I am submitting AMCAS later this month, how should I list that on my application or does it even count if I haven't formally started "mentoring"?
2) I was planning on listing it as one of my 15 activities.
Well, they could get away with listing it as long as they are transparent about. Having completed initial training is somewhat being under contract.

recently completed orientation and training for youth mentoring program. Once assigned a student I will be doing XYZ and project 4 hours a week for 30 weeks.

@Catalystik your thoughts
1) You are active in the organization, but not yet mentoring, which may take many months. I suggest that you not list it under Teaching (of which mentoring is a form), but using Extracurricular or Volunteer Not Medical/Clinical or Leadership (the latter only if you list only the dates and hours of your leadership role) as the category instead. Within that space you could mention the future plan to take on a mentee when you are matched. Considering the distant future when that might occur, I suggest refraining from projecting mentoring hours, but the potential time commitment could be inserted as @gonnif outlined.

1) You are active in the organization, but not yet mentoring, which may take many months. I suggest that you not list it under Teaching (of which mentoring is a form), but using Extracurricular or Volunteer Not Medical/Clinical or Leadership (the latter only if you list only the dates and hours of your leadership role) as the category instead. Within that space you could mention the future plan to take on a mentee when you are matched. Considering the distant future when that might occur, I suggest refraining from projecting mentoring hours, but the potential time commitment could be inserted as @gonnif outlined.

So for this, under extracurricular activities, can I complete the application with the hours for this item blank? (but then explaining in the activity description about the anticipated hours etc) I was under the impression that all activities would need to have the hours/frequency filled in

So for this, under extracurricular activities, can I complete the application with the hours for this item blank? (but then explaining in the activity description about the anticipated hours etc) I was under the impression that all activities would need to have the hours/frequency filled in
You are required to fill in the Total Hours and the inclusive date span, but hours per week are no longer required. You'd add up the time on the Youth Organizing Committee (give a subtotal in the narrative) and the training hours (give a subtotal in the narrative).

You are required to fill in the Total Hours and the inclusive date span, but hours per week are no longer required. You'd add up the time on the Youth Organizing Committee (give a subtotal in the narrative) and the training hours (give a subtotal in the narrative).
okay great thank you

Mention unpaid tutoring of friends (~200 hours) as a hobby?

1) One of my friends in particular needed to pass calculus in order to get into the university of his choice and I probably tutored him for about 80 hours over the course of the semester for this. Is this worth mentioning? I know activities without contacts that can verify are sketchy but it's something I enjoy.

2) Also, should I mention paid tutoring that I've done (~150 hours) in the same category?
1) The Hobbies category doesn't require a Contact, and would be one option. Teaching would be a better choice (the friend you tutored could be the Contact). You would not want to pick Volunteering, though you weren't paid, as this was your friend.

2) Paid tutoring could be tagged as Employment-Not Medical/Clinical or Teaching, but should not go under Hobbies. If you want to list them both in one space, you should choose Teaching, as both experiences qualify for that designation.

Given that I am still waiting to be matched but I am submitting AMCAS later this month, how should I list that on my application or does it even count if I haven't formally started "mentoring"? I was planning on listing it as one of my 15 activities.

Please advise! Thank you!

You could mention it under "anything else" type questions on secondaries