How to list two distinct job functions in Activities section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIC2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I work as a research associate (glorified research technician) at a medical school in a neuro-epigenomics lab, the bulk of my focus is on basic science and animal research. I also have another distinct role as a semi-official Lab Safety Officer position. This itself is a part-time job, though I do it as a volunteer, and there are numerous daily tasks such as checking eyewashes, cleaning any clutter in the lab, checking for open chemical waste containers, chemical labeling on all non-manufacturer bottles, training new employees/students/postdocs in how to utilize the lab's spaces for certain chemicals and experiments, etc. It's a ton of work on top of my 60+ hour weekly research schedule. I train most of the lab's new members (we get at least 1 new person per month, high turnover rate) in safety and animal work (which for all intents and purposes falls under the safety category).

Any advice on whether this would be better received by adcomms if it were listed as a separate activity, rather than combined with my research activity? It won't be in my top 3 most meaningful activities, but I've learned a lot from having the responsibility of training people in how to be safe in a lab and keeping our members updated on new safety-related guidelines. A lot of my interest in teaching aspiring scientists and physicians as a NY Academy of Science mentor comes from training people in safety, a lot of my skills in engaging someone's attention in an otherwise boring topic (who wants to hear about how there are 4 different waste bins for different waste items?.....) come from this role. Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone. I work as a research associate (glorified research technician) at a medical school in a neuro-epigenomics lab, the bulk of my focus is on basic science and animal research. I also have another distinct role as a semi-official Lab Safety Officer position. This itself is a part-time job, though I do it as a volunteer, and there are numerous daily tasks such as checking eyewashes, cleaning any clutter in the lab, checking for open chemical waste containers, chemical labeling on all non-manufacturer bottles, training new employees/students/postdocs in how to utilize the lab's spaces for certain chemicals and experiments, etc. It's a ton of work on top of my 60+ hour weekly research schedule. I train most of the lab's new members (we get at least 1 new person per month, high turnover rate) in safety and animal work (which for all intents and purposes falls under the safety category).

Any advice on whether this would be better received by adcomms if it were listed as a separate activity, rather than combined with my research activity? It won't be in my top 3 most meaningful activities, but I've learned a lot from having the responsibility of training people in how to be safe in a lab and keeping our members updated on new safety-related guidelines. A lot of my interest in teaching aspiring scientists and physicians as a NY Academy of Science mentor comes from training people in safety, a lot of my skills in engaging someone's attention in an otherwise boring topic (who wants to hear about how there are 4 different waste bins for different waste items?.....) come from this role. Thanks for your help!!
Your second role seems very well suited to listing separately in its own space, with its own separate hours, perhaps under a Teaching tag.