How to make an application for psychiatry better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcatherine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG. I've read splik's posts in detail. I have less than average scores, was an FP in home country for seven years. I can't get residency there because of birth/ethnicity/minority issues. I need a visa. I've completed all steps 1-3. I've applied two years in a row. Last year I'd added everything to get an interview. Step 3, USCE, US LORS, papers I'd contributed to and research. Even did psychological first aid. I've written fiction to support psychiatry causes since I am a freelance medical writer. Just had one interview. I can't change my scores or my year of graduation.
My question is:
  • How do I make my application better or make me a better applicant for psych?
  • Should I give it up altogether?
  • Is any more USCE giong to help? And if yes, should it be at big hospitals? (I've done USCE at a big hospital in NYC before, but while they had a psych ward they didn't have a psych residency program.)
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how visa works but I would think your best best is doing as many auditions as possible.

Just be super outgoing. We have an img working with me whose in a similar situation to you but she's very hands off and not active in pt care, despite being a nice person. From my experience scores and app better but lasting impressions can be a game changer

Reactions: 1 user