How to make application competitive for a Pediatrics Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natfan05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips? I'm an MSI, and I want to start early! Should I get involved in research? Do a peds preceptorship? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

people arent exactly gunning for peds spots. If you want do peds, you can do it so long that you graduate from medical school. Just study hard in your classes, do decent on your step and work hard 3rd year and youll have your pick. Only do research if you find something you are passionate about and can make a serious contribution to, its definitely not necessary. I'm sure your school has a peds interest group. Get involved with that - its not so much that its going to look super impressive that you were in a peds group, but if its truly what you love theyll have a lot of cool things goin on and hopefully will be able to set you up with some cool opportunities to get involved within the peds community.

OP my vote is research. Ideally clinical retrospective research that leads to a publication. Email your Peds department and see if anything is available. I didn't get it done early and now I'm scrambling to pull something together before the match.

Also don't let people tell you not to worry about match because you want Peds. While Is is easy to match into a Peds residency, it's not easy to match into a GOOD residency.

OP my vote is research. Ideally clinical retrospective research that leads to a publication. Email your Peds department and see if anything is available. I didn't get it done early and now I'm scrambling to pull something together before the match.

Also don't let people tell you not to worry about match because you want Peds. While Is is easy to match into a Peds residency, it's not easy to match into a GOOD residency.

OP, I will second this statement. The most sought-after peds residency programs draw applicants with numbers similar to residencies that are thought of as more competitive. Get some peds-specific experience, contact people in your department for research opportunities, and when you get to 4th year (I know it seems far away, but it'll sneak up on you) try and do away rotations at your top picks.