How to make Kaplan Class Better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay47

Think Positively!
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am going to be instructing Kaplan classes this summer and fall and I really want to help my students. I want to know what other instructors have done that you would suggest doing differently.

How can I help my students to get the most out of the class and learn as much as possible? What would you have had your instructor do differently?

I am looking for constructive criticism here, not just complaints. I really want everyone in my class to do well and help them get into dental school. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Jay

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion first try to understand each concept deeply before going to the class. When u r teaching don't just read through the lesson book, explain it by your words since students can read the lesson book by themselves. I have the same plan to teach in Kaplan. I just did my DAT last week and haven't applied yet. I am planning to cover mostly the concepts that aren't cover in the kaplan book, the lesson book and in the online tests but still not sure if they let me to do that or not. Also, I think kaplan is very week in the PAT section so if u r good in PAT help your students to visualize the PAT problems. Can I ask u what was your DAT scores?

My biggest issue with Kaplan was what the last guy mentioned. The lecturer was nowhere near an expert in what she was teaching. All she did was read the lesson to us and "try" to help us with confusing points. She was definately a smart person but it seemed like she had taken the DAT many, many, months ago and had not looked at the material since then. When we asked questions she could only look for answers in her lesson plan or rely on someone else in the class to help.
So my advice is, don't teach this class if you're not up to the task of answering detailed questions about the material. Kaplan seems to assume that someone that scores high on the test is automatically qualified to teach the material. But if that person doesn't maintain the knowledge, which requires post-DAT reviewing, they're not qualified instructors.

Since we all know that biology is more concept oriented, try to tell your students not to rely completely on the kaplan course material. Tell them to grab the concepts and not just facts from campbell text or something. Especially the math portion, make sure they know that Kaplan does not provide everything thats on the Qr section unless you are doing online kaplan(which is actually pretty good). Some of my friends have taken Kaplan and I just used the blue book and we all saw the results (None of us had stellar scores; my scores 18/18). The only reason I am more confident retaking DAT this time is because I came across SDN and got hold of more materials. Tell them to be on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we all know that biology is more concept oriented, try to tell your students not to rely completely on the kaplan course material. Tell them to grab the concepts and not just facts from campbell text or something. Especially the math portion, make sure they know that Kaplan does not provide everything thats on the Qr section unless you are doing online kaplan(which is actually pretty good). Some of my friends have taken Kaplan and I just used the blue book and we all saw the results (None of us had stellar scores; my scores 18/18). The only reason I am more confident retaking DAT this time is because I came across SDN and got hold of more materials. Tell them to be on SDN.
Can't Kaplan instructors get fired for that. My instructor said he shouldn't even have mentioned to check out topscore and achiever.

Can't Kaplan instructors get fired for that. My instructor said he shouldn't even have mentioned to check out topscore and achiever.
I dunno...if so then thats stupidity or selfishness on Kaplan's side. By restraining newbies from other valuable sources, they really aren't helping because then its pure business. If nothing then you can atleast hint them towards SDN...they can go on from there.

I don't even think my kaplan teacher knew what topscore or achiever was! kaplan gave our class an mcat tutor who didn't know anything about the pat, average scores or that the test is given online!! we spent a half hour going over her method of underlining certain sentences for the RC section until i asked "do they have highlighter functions on the computer during the test?". her response was "ohh right your test is online".

anyway- i think little tricks that you have picked up along the way help a lot. things like purine > adenine & guanine = pur As Gold which i think is given in the kaplan book but you get the point.