How to make vacation more productive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am planning my vacation to be more productive in sense of doing something which can enhance my CV overall for fellowship. Any suggestion. What should I do during vacation which actually can help me

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, damn I really did choose the wrong career if this is how I should be approaching my vacations.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello

I am planning my vacation to be more productive in sense of doing something which can enhance my CV overall for fellowship. Any suggestion. What should I do during vacation which actually can help me

Wow srsly. I think you should donate your vacation to your fellow co-residents to gain more clinical experience so you will be a better fellow :laugh:

Jokes aside, I did find vacation to be a really good time to catch up on research because it is simply just too exhausting to be running analyses after being on the floors for 12+ hours and having woken up at 5:30 AM. It's probably also a good time to re-evaluate or tie some loose ends in terms of your fellowship app (do you need to set up meetings with faculty?). I personally probably used about 20 out of my 28 days of vacation every year on true traveling/fun but had about 8 or so days when I planned for it to be more productive and I spent the vast majority of it finishing research or meeting with faculty mentors.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow srsly. I think you should donate your vacation to your fellow co-residents to gain more clinical experience so you will be a better fellow :laugh:

Jokes aside, I did find vacation to be a really good time to catch up on research because it is simply just too exhausting to be running analyses after being on the floors for 12+ hours and having woken up at 5:30 AM. It's probably also a good time to re-evaluate or tie some loose ends in terms of your fellowship app (do you need to set up meetings with faculty?). I personally probably used about 20 out of my 28 days of vacation every year on true traveling/fun but had about 8 or so days when I planned for it to be more productive and I spent the vast majority of it finishing research or meeting with faculty mentors.

This is why research electives exist so you don’t kill your vacation time. Plus it makes your senior years much more chill.

Also most projects you can do as a resident are of the chart review variety... it’s not like you have to dedicate time in a lab mixing reagents (though I know a couple of nutcases that did this too).