How to Memorize First Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to spend my summer getting very familiar with First Aid, particularly the sections covering material from this first year of classes.

Any tips on how to best memorize first aid? Also, any ideas for the best way to study for boards, aside from doing qbanks? I feel like just sitting and listening to Pathoma/reading Goljan isn't going to really implant the info into my brain long term. Any tips at all are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of question is "how to memorize FA" :smack:
Use your hippocampus
:troll:

Reactions: 1 users
What kind of question is "how to memorize FA" :smack:
Use your hippocampus
:troll:

Thanks for being so helpful.

Some possible answers could include, doing broceph's deck, creating outlines for each page, doing usmle rx q bank, etc. Wondering what other people have done to get the info in first aid down cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Rx is a very effective tool to help you memorize the little minutiae of FA

Reactions: 1 user
I think Rx is a very effective tool to help you memorize the little minutiae of FA

Would you say this is a better use of time (getting first aid down), or starting on UWorld questions to go over relevant things I did first year?

Would you say this is a better use of time (getting first aid down), or starting on UWorld questions to go over relevant things I did first year?

I haven't taken the boards yet so I'm no expert on the topic. However, I have looked at numerous NBME qs, and I can tell you that UWorld is the second best preparation source out there (after NBME qs). A lot of NBME qs are experiment based and critical thinking type of qs. Therefore, I think UWorld should be your priority.

Next week, when I start my dedicated period, I'll be doing two blocks of UWorld and one block of Rx daily. Hopefully this should be good enough.

The best use of the summer is to enjoy it, not memorize FA. There will be plenty of time for that later.

What do you recommend for learning the important stuff for the boards in general though?

Primary sources, primary sources, and primary sources. FA is for review, not learning the material for the first time.

If you're going to study anything the summer between first and second year (though I don't recommend it) you should be looking ahead and familiarizing yourself with second year material to get a head start. Reviewing first year material a year before step 1 is low yield and a huge waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
If you're going to study anything the summer between first and second year (though I don't recommend it) you should be looking ahead and familiarizing yourself with second year material to get a head start. Reviewing first year material a year before step 1 is low yield and a huge waste of time.

Out of curiosity, what makes it low yield?

Out of curiosity, what makes it low yield?

How low yield it is depends on how your curriculum is structured. If it is traditional with anatomy physiology neuro general path: these things are uncommonly tested on step 1. In general though no matter how the first year is structured you'll forget what you reviewed one year from now and second year won't really build on that stuff. Keep looking forward then review when it's time to review.

I want to spend my summer getting very familiar with First Aid, particularly the sections covering material from this first year of classes.
Any tips on how to best memorize first aid?

FA is best used for annotation and review. It has some stuff for short-term memorization before the exam, but you're jumping the gun. Focus on understanding the basic science and pathophys for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
FA is best used for annotation and review. It has some stuff for short-term memorization before the exam, but you're jumping the gun. Focus on understanding the basic science and pathophys for now.

I see. I've just heard so many people say memorizing fa cover to cover is essential to doing well on step 1.

At our school we've already covered several organ systems, so I thought focusing on fa or uworld for those systems would be best. But I do worry I'll forget whatever I study now...

I think it's not a terrible idea. After 4 passes of material I'll get a 100 on an exam, so why not look at board studying as "passes of material"? Tested on it= pass one, review over summer= pass 2, and dedicated review = pass 3. I'll be tutoring biochem and anatomy to PA students over the summer and plan on studying phys and path again to prep for pharm and all the organ systems. If I pretend I have a cumulative final in both those classes it would only take 1.5 weeks of studying during the summer to get through it all. While I study my notes I'll compare them to FA.

I would advise spending summer enjoying yourself more so than studying but if you're going to do some studying, firecracker is a great resource. I love it and wish I had just gotten it a month or so sooner than I did.

I think it's not a terrible idea. After 4 passes of material I'll get a 100 on an exam, so why not look at board studying as "passes of material"? Tested on it= pass one, review over summer= pass 2, and dedicated review = pass 3. I'll be tutoring biochem and anatomy to PA students over the summer and plan on studying phys and path again to prep for pharm and all the organ systems. If I pretend I have a cumulative final in both those classes it would only take 1.5 weeks of studying during the summer to get through it all. While I study my notes I'll compare them to FA.

Would you mind sharing how you went about getting a tutoring position? Is it through your school or more of a private endeavor? I'm thinking of doing something along the lines tutoring to keep the material fresh and to hopefully make some cash. Thanks!

Would you mind sharing how you went about getting a tutoring position? Is it through your school or more of a private endeavor? I'm thinking of doing something along the lines tutoring to keep the material fresh and to hopefully make some cash. Thanks!
Yeah it's a program at our school. Basically if you get an A in a class you're eligible to be a tutor. The summer session has PAs and DPTs taking those classes.

I wouldn't try to memorize it. If you really want to do it, then I would recommend just reading through it and doing practice questions (combank or something along that line and not UWorld). Do questions based on what you covered in your first years.

Do NOT start uworld over the summer after M1. Total waste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Repetition is the key.

But I guarantee you that if you try to memorize First-Aid, you'll end up learning nothing.

Learn to apply.

When you go through First-Aid, the stuff you see if the baseline of what you're supposed to know...ie, like what adduction is and how it's different from abduction.

You're still doing fine as an OMSI, as I recall?

Any tips on how to best memorize first aid? Also, any ideas for the best way to study for boards, aside from doing qbanks? I feel like just sitting and listening to Pathoma/reading Goljan isn't going to really implant the info into my brain long term. Any tips at all are welcome.

Repetition is the key.

But I guarantee you that if you try to memorize First-Aid, you'll end up learning nothing.

Learn to apply.

When you go through First-Aid, the stuff you see if the baseline of what you're supposed to know...ie, like what adduction is and how it's different from abduction.

You're still doing fine as an OMSI, as I recall?

Had a solid first semester and doing even better second semester. I've been low 90s on exams. That said, I'm so dismayed at the amount I've forgotten that I feel like I really need to do something over the summer to consolidate this information.

Some 3rd and 4th years who recently matched well, recommended doing UWORLD for the systems we've covered over the summer. It's just so hard to make a decision with so much conflicting advice from presumably legit sources...

I think this is a case where all of the advice or most of it is correct! You just need to find the source that best fits your style of learning.

I'm a firm believer in that you can never do enough practice questions and discovering the holes in your knowledge base is more important than discovering what you have retained.

Had a solid first semester and doing even better second semester. I've been low 90s on exams. That said, I'm so dismayed at the amount I've forgotten that I feel like I really need to do something over the summer to consolidate this information.

Some 3rd and 4th years who recently matched well, recommended doing UWORLD for the systems we've covered over the summer. It's just so hard to make a decision with so much conflicting advice from presumably legit sources...

It's not something people can just tell you what to do. Lots of things work, like uworld. It's about knowing what you need to learn for boards and just coming up with a plan to do it. I learned micro and pharm, some for u world and learn the style of questions, some do nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is awesome! Good work! Care to share any advice on how to rock school like you are doing?

That is awesome! Good work! Care to share any advice on how to rock school like you are doing?

Treat school like a regular job. In at 8 out at 5. Throw in some later nights and weekends as needed, and you're going to be way ahead of the curve.

I think to the average fresh out of college student, this just seems ridiculous to study that long. But to someone who's been out in the real world, it's just more of the same. Try to treat it that way and you shouldn't have problems.

Reactions: 2 users
Treat school like a regular job. In at 8 out at 5. Throw in some later nights and weekends as needed, and you're going to be way ahead of the curve.

I think to the average fresh out of college student, this just seems ridiculous to study that long. But to someone who's been out in the real world, it's just more of the same. Try to treat it that way and you shouldn't have problems.
Good stuff yanks! Keep killin' it bruh! Pure inspiration!

They don't want us to be doctors! They don't want us to work hard and slay classes and go on to slay COMLEX and USMLE and rep them MD and DO titles hard bruh!

Good stuff yanks! Keep killin' it bruh! Pure inspiration!

They don't want us to be doctors! They don't want us to work hard and slay classes and go on to slay COMLEX and USMLE and rep them MD and DO titles hard bruh!
Lol what are you talking about, I'm pretty sure my teachers want me to be a doctor

I started studying hard early into m2 year, and by January I had knocked out UWorld, FA like 3 times, and Combank. I was burned out before I even registered for the exam.

n=1, but I don't recommend studying more than 3 months out from test day.

spend time LEARNING the material before you dive into first aid.

I scored way below my goal, and I blame it on the fact that I started (and finished) my hard studying waaaay to early

Over the summer?

Hey, OP...

giphy.gif

If you really can't forgive yourself for not studying over summer, grab one of the other qbanks like kaplan. Save uworld for later.

I don't see how FA review during the summer is looked down upon. The more familiar you are with the material, especially in FA, the easier it should be during dedicated board prep time. My school covers half of FA during first year so might be a good idea to do some review.

Doing questions is the best bang for your buck in terms of time for board study. Look up each question you have any question on in FA. Anything you do not completely understand in FA can be looked up anywhere (Google, books, etc). You can add notes to FA, it doesn't have everything. Don't get lost in materials, simpler is better. There are diminishing returns the more detailed your study is, but details become more important the higher score you want. Still, big themes are much more important than details.

Having said that, you really don't need to do this until you are closer to the actually test. The first summer is kind of early. There are probably better ways to work on your eventual residency app than simple study for boards this early.

Sent from my 6045O using SDN mobile

Anyone else just feel like a zombie, going through reading the pages of FA? It feels so passive. Trying to figure out how to make some of this stuff stick is a challenge..

Anyone else just feel like a zombie, going through reading the pages of FA? It feels so passive. Trying to figure out how to make some of this stuff stick is a challenge..

Doing questions and then looking back at FA in the corresponding sections will help the stuff stick.

Doing questions and then looking back at FA in the corresponding sections will help the stuff stick.

That was my thought. Thinking about buying USMLE Rx/flash facts. Do you have any experience with that?

That was my thought. Thinking about buying USMLE Rx/flash facts. Do you have any experience with that?

No I actually haven't done RX. I was required to do COMBANK from my school so I did that along with some Kaplan here and there. From January, I started doing UWorld and annotating things into FA.