how to memorize the damn drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have a good way to memorize those goddamn drugs that all have weird names and sound the same?
I have trouble correlating the properties to each drug.:mad:
I tried flashcards and they don't work, I'm not really a flashcard-type person.

Members don't see this ad.

repetition, repetition, and more repetition. Then, more repetition. etc. etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Being a pharm tech helped me a lot because the repetition drilled a lot of the awkward names in my head. Now I am just filling in the information around the names.

For the ones I don't know (few and far between since I had to know the top 200 brand name and their generics for the CPhT test) I just memorize it like any other nugget like viruses and bacterias.

Members don't see this ad :)
A person a year ahead of me made 'pharm charts' that our whole class studied from....basically spreadsheets of all the drugs, side effects, etc.

It's really just rote mem at it's finest however you look at it.

Just remember, we will learn all these drug names and then get to the wards where everyone uses the damn trade names.

I don't use them but I know a classmate that uses the pharm mnemonics flash cards. I know you don't like flash cards, but she raves about them. I think they come up with arbitray mnemonics to help you memorize things, if that wasn't obvious.

Just remember, we will learn all these drug names and then get to the wards where everyone uses the damn trade names.

:laugh: Many moons ago when I was a pharm tech, I remember handing a bag of ceftriaxone (it said, in big letters, "ceftriaxone") to a nurse and said, "Here's the ceftriaxone," and she said, "I asked for Rocephin."

OMFG I KNOW! I'm taking a stand, I always use the generic unless it is impossible to pronounce.

Good luck. Many people you converse with won't immediately know what you're talking about. It's frustrating, I know. Things would be much easier/safer if everyone just used the generic names.

Memorization unfortunately. You'll at least start recognizing patterns. Brand names on the other hand? No rhyme or reason.

On Anes. which was a pretty early rotation for me, I probably got annoying, but always insisted on looking at the vials we were using before they got tossed to see Brand/Generic naming. It helped.

anybody have a good way to memorize those goddamn drugs that all have weird names and sound the same?
I have trouble correlating the properties to each drug.:mad:
I tried flashcards and they don't work, I'm not really a flashcard-type person.

I talked it out with a friend who took pity on me. We went over the same drugs over and over again for 10 hours a day. It helped immensely.

An important factor is grouping them in broad categories and then working your way down to finer details, i.e. Antimicrobrials/Antivirals/Antifungals->Difference in Mechanisms and Contraindications. Then,
Antimicrobrials->Penicillins/Cephalosporins/Macrolides/Aminoglycosides/Tetracyclines/Fluoroquinolones->Difference in Mechanisms and Contraindications

Then, as you go through individual drugs, you can should compare and contrast constantly, i.e. 50S ribosomal inhibitors vs 30S ribosomal inhibitors, bacteriorostatic vs bacterialcidal, anaerobe vs aerobe

Anyway, that's what people mean when they write "Repetition, repetition, repetition," on here.

Eh, not that much. We call certain thing by their trade names, like Lasix and Versed (furosemide and midazolam), and long names like Zosyn (piperacillin/tazobactam), but trust me, you still need to know their generic names.

Being a pharm tech helped me a lot because the repetition drilled a lot of the awkward names in my head. Now I am just filling in the information around the names.

For the ones I don't know (few and far between since I had to know the top 200 brand name and their generics for the CPhT test) I just memorize it like any other nugget like viruses and bacterias.
This is good advice Elmo. You should go be a pharm tech and then you'll be able to make it through pharm :thumbup:

This is good advice Elmo. You should go be a pharm tech and then you'll be able to make it through pharm :thumbup:

Step 1. Take of absence from med school
Step 2. Become a pharm tech
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit!

This is how I went about learning drugs, actions, names etc THUS FAR (i'm still doing pharm).

I'm really hate rote memorization, so I try to make things more intuitive/conceptual which really helps my recall.

1. I start off with the receptor anatomy/physio (what's located where [M2,M3, alpha1 etc] and what do they do [increase/block sympathetic etc]). Along the same lines, it helps to know how the underlying system normally works (ANS, somatics etc) bcos all that the drug is going to do, is to modify the underlying physiology.

2. Then, I learned how the prototypical drug/neurotransmitter in each class (ACh, NorE, Atropine etc) works; which receptors do they act and how do they modify the underlying physiology. Knowing receptor anatomy/physiology (see above) really helps with this.

3. Finally, I would learn how the other members of the drug class differ from the prototypical drug, they usually differ in PK attributes (longer/shorter acting; better receptor selectivity (muscarinic over nicotinic)) etc...

4. After this, the only pure rote memorization I have to do is know what drugs were in each class, and for this I wrote them out over and over until it stuck. I also used mnemonics to remember members of a drug class.

Good luck!

In pharm school, we started out with the top 100 drugs and then worked around the broad categories.

Without actually working with them, it is really hard. I used to put up meds when I first started to get brand and generic down.

Many of the generics end with similar names.....that helps.

Most pharms use the generic name....but I noticed alot of docs liked to use the brand. I thought it was because they are easier to say....:laugh:

It helps to recognize that most generic drug names give a clue as to what class they are in. For example, ACE inhibitors end in pril, PPIs end in zole, etc.

Trade names usually have no rhyme or reason, although certain trade names are just fun, like glucotrol or glucophage.

It's tough for sure.