How to Narrow Down Your List of Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

research1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying to sort through the massive number of medical schools to get to a reasonable number to which I will apply. My stats are at or above the averages for all schools so I'm finding it hard on narrowing down my list and trying not to have it be too top heavy.

I have used areas like PBL-focused vs traditional curriculum and P/F vs. A/B/C/D/F grading as well as my initial impressions of the schools to get my list down to about 40 schools. Geography really doesn't matter to me.

How can I keep narrowing down my list to get to 20-25 schools? What other factors did you/would you take into consideration?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I've been trying to sort through the massive number of medical schools to get to a reasonable number to which I will apply. My stats are at or above the averages for all schools so I'm finding it hard on narrowing down my list and trying not to have it be too top heavy.

I have used areas like PBL-focused vs traditional curriculum and P/F vs. A/B/C/D/F grading as well as my initial impressions of the schools to get my list down to about 40 schools. Geography really doesn't matter to me.

How can I keep narrowing down my list to get to 20-25 schools? What other factors did you/would you take into consideration?

Thanks.

If you're at or above the average for most schools, and you have good ECs, you don't need to "not make your list top heavy"

People always say that, but I don't really believe it. I applied to 32 schools (pretty much the top 25, and CA schools, as a CA resident) and the only schools I wasn't offered interviews at were ones that I added as "backups" in geographic areas I was interested in.

figure out which schools don't accept a lot of out of state applicants or have ridiculous tuition for out of state (Michigan State for example) and cut those out. Pick some top schools, pick some mid range and pick some "safeties".

If you think you'd be happy anywhere, then flip a coin

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i understand what your going through. It got to a point that i narrowed it down to 29 and started removing some of the schools based on nothing other than location. I just sat back and thought if i could handle the southern accent -- immediately thought no (No offense to anyone) and removed Tulane and most of the schools. Do what feels right. Your decisions don't have to be based on anything. Also use the LizzyM score to help you with odd's. Look at the out of state acceptance. Anything under 10% i removed. Hope my post helped OP : )

weed out schools in undesirable or dangerous neighborhoods. Temple and Tulane come to mind.

Hello,

Thanks.

I used several factors, including:

1. My compatibility with the school - whether I think I would get in (based on their average stats versus mine) and how I think I would like it (this, however, was largely influenced by my interview experience)

2. Unique features that the school has to offer - for example, some schools require 6 months-1 year of research during your four years of med school and thus do things much differently

3. Geographic location - there are obviously places in the country that I'd prefer more than others

4. Cost - there are some private schools out there where total cost is 70K a year versus state schools which can, in some cases, provide an equal education at a cost significantly lower than that of the private school

5. Reputation